• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gravel tee questions

Chutney

Bogey Member
Sorry to ask this again, but what are the ideal rock sizes for base and top layers for gravel tees? I seem to remember something along the lines of #57 for the sub layer and #21a crusher run for the top. We are installing some new gravel tees (framed and tamped) and I want to make sure it's right.

Recommended depth of the layers?

Also, is there any benefit to lightly watering the top layer between tampings or afterwards to hasten the compacting process?

If someone could give me the dummies version of the process that would be awesome :thmbup:

As an aside, the park doesn't let us put in concrete so that isn't an option, and the areas we are doing this are uneven/very muddy so the natural tees are a nightmare.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I use the fine and course gravel that is available on site but I add slaked lime to seize it up a bit. Runs $10 for an 80lb bag and use about one third of a bag per tee.

I lightly water then put another thin layer of fine gravel and lime on top of that before tamping. Otherwise the wet stuff cakes on the tamper.

Does the slaked lime have the effect of adding a harder layer underneath/on top? Sounds like it would prevent rutting nicely.

Slaked lime should bind the gravel wherever you put the lime. I add it throughout the gravel layers and have had varying degrees of success with different tees.

Some have turned out almost as good as 'crete some never seized up at all. Still trying to figures out what makes the difference. Next one I do come springtime I will tarp to slow the drying process and see what happens then.

Try using crushed concrete. You can get it in different sizes, and it compacts and sticks together well.

so glad to see someone using gravel pads. concrete pads are costing me too much money in shoes. seems like you could play with gravel and additives to make it just right.

And if you are dealing with a "green" parks dept (hence, no concrete tees), the crushed concrete is a recycled material. You may get some brownie points for using it.

Latest posts