• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greetings from Denver

DGskier

Total beginner here! Baseball (many years ago!) and golf background. I have been throwing and playing for about one month, and am loving it so far. So far I've mainly stuck to throwing in parks, along with a few humbling rounds at Village Greens.

I feel like I've already improved a lot with putting, and I find it's the part of the round that's most enjoyable for me, for now (putting a basket in the playroom has helped!). However, I haven't really made any progress w/ my backhand(100-150 ft), and haven't even attempted a forehand yet, other than one or two that go straight into the ground :D

Initially I was ok with just randomly throwing backhands around the park for a few hours, hoping to have an "AH HA!" moment somewhere along the way. Which has been...ok, not great. For example, I've found I can throw backhand furthest and most accurately when I stand on my front leg only! But I couldn't even begin to tell you why.

After some soreness and tweaks to my body, it's probably time to learn how to do it the right way. I'm looking to establish a practice plan w/ drills that have structure and direction, instead of just wandering around from tip to tip without really understanding why the tip may or may not work.

It seems best to begin the journey here. From what I've seen in my limited time browsing, there is an abundance of great resources and good folks on this site!

Looking forward to having fun, getting better, and being a part of the community!

That's awesome...enjoy the ride. The baseball and golf backgrounds will be useful, there's so much similarity in muscle group and concepts of bat swing and club swing. Hit me up if you have any Denver-specific questions, I'm in Littleton.

Welcome to the site! This is a great resource to get lots of good information. Post lots in different channels with your questions. I am returning to disc golf after a hiatus. I live in Southeast Aurora and am starting to explore additional courses in the Denver area. If you want to go out and throw with an old dude who is throwing for fun hit me up.

Just remmber, beyond getting over the body aches, disc golf should be fun to play!

Keep hucking disc and live life to the fullest!

Flyguy46

I remember that 150 ft hizer blues. Beginner pack purchased andheaded to badlands for my first throws . Badlands has decent distance and couldn't imagine how anyone could ever get a par or a birdie . Everything was dumping at about 150 ft and almost ruined me for the game. Then I remembered ball golf not exactly being fun in the beginning either, or first day snowboarding. Can't remember my exact ah ha moment? But I can make few suggestions. At our altitude discs fly more stable. So the flight ratings and most disc reviews are going to be off the mark for you while you are developing. Lighter weights, understandable and baseline plastic will help. Plus , you won't be throwing a $20 disc in the lake or creek . Find a shorter course without a lot of hazards to help build your game without getting overly frustrated. We are in northglenn and Thornton's course is about as friendly as it gets. Many holes being 150 ish on the front 9. You can cash birdies with 150 ft shots. Back nine has more distance . Those front nine short birdies will represent getting up and down for par on longer holes in the future. If you ever feel like venturing north, I have a ton of discs you can sample and maybe help you get throwing . It's a great sport and very addictive . Many courses to see around Denver area. Enjoy

Well I am at a Player Rating of 656 but I am having fun. I need to get out more and play with others. Been doing to much solo play recently.

Well I am at a Player Rating of 656 but I am having fun. I need to get out more and play with others. Been doing to much solo play recently.

You're in a good part of the country for it, tons of courses within an hour or two of Denver, including a fair few REALLY great courses (Beaver Ranch/Bucksnort/Bailey).

Join a local club. You will quickly meet new people that play alot of DG, and you will also become a better player by playing with different people. Foothills Flyers is a good club I hear. If you play Village Greens, go over to the FlyGreen shop nearby and tell them you're interested in finding a local club you can get involved with. Good luck. (Did you ever make it to Seattle?)

However, I haven't really made any progress w/ my backhand(100-150 ft), and haven't even attempted a forehand yet, other than one or two that go straight into the ground :D

Initially I was ok with just randomly throwing backhands around the park for a few hours, hoping to have an "AH HA!" moment somewhere along the way. Which has been...ok, not great. For example, I've found I can throw backhand furthest and most accurately when I stand on my front leg only! But I couldn't even begin to tell you why.

After some soreness and tweaks to my body, it's probably time to learn how to do it the right way. I'm looking to establish a practice plan w/ drills that have structure and direction, instead of just wandering around from tip to tip without really understanding why the tip may or may not work.

Welcome! I'm almost a year in and also on the newbie subforum.

I can relate and started with <100' throws back in January.

After getting hurt early on, I spent a few months building up a useable but inefficient BH form. Then feedback here led me to scrap my throw after some uneven progress. Suddenly, within a week of rebuilding my BH as a pendulum system with sidewinder22's critiques, I am sniffing 400' with less effort, less pain, and better accuracy. Good mentors & hard work pays off. You came to the right place!

I did make it to Seattle. Unfortunately, the bad ankle was super pissy so no play. But I did enjoy eating and exploring the beer scene.

I would love to get out more with the Denver Crew. I will be joining the Flygreen Club in January

You're in a good part of the country for it, tons of courses within an hour or two of Denver, including a fair few REALLY great courses (Beaver Ranch/Bucksnort/Bailey).

I have about 5 courses within a 20 minute drive of my front door which is super cool and makes it nice to get out. As a matter of fact I have time for a round tomorrow morning before work. Should be nice to get out on a warm December day.

Latest posts