• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs Mahal

Wait wait wait, the bags are priced differently based on the size of the yoke? Looking at the website (which could very well be wrong), the only thing that changes the price of the bag is selecting the cammo color. Where does it say the yoke sizing affects price?

Booter said:
I wanna say I read somewhere that they won't charge ur cc til the bag is done and on it's way to you. Not sure if this is true as I havnt been charged yet for mine.

They authorize your card for the dollar amount but will not settle until the item ships. I requested that they settle on my charge and invoice me and I will just wait for the bag. Otherwise you might see charges appear and discappear (lol) which might have you over drafted if you do not track it.

The collapsible pocket is the single feature that's come out on any of the new bags that makes me want a new bag. Unfortunately the Mahal is too much bag for me and way too pricey for my taste. I keep dropping hints on the GB thread, but to no avail.

I just canceled my Mahal order. The customer service as Mystery Ranch is exactly like their brand name.... a MYSTERY. Can't get answers and most answers given are wrong or generic. No way I'm giving $300 to this company. On a positive note, I spoke with Revolution and their new back pack is projected to be out around April 2011. It will be priced more than a Dual Pack but not much more. I'm saving my hard earned money for a company I have had many great experiences with and a company that replied to my email in a timely and informative manner.

steezo said:
I just canceled my Mahal order. The customer service as Mystery Ranch is exactly like their brand name.... a MYSTERY. Can't get answers and most answers given are wrong or generic. No way I'm giving $300 to this company. On a positive note, I spoke with Revolution and their new back pack is projected to be out around April 2011. It will be priced more than a Dual Pack but not much more. I'm saving my hard earned money for a company I have had many great experiences with and a company that replied to my email in a timely and informative manner.
be truthful. your just gettin one of those OGIO bags huh? :lol:

The Ogio is perfect for anyone getting into disc golf but I need a tournament bag.
I dropped a hint to Dave that collapsible storage is what disc golfers are interested in...

Dave's response below:

"We've been through a couple prototypes. There are things about it that are amazing at this point and there are things about it that still need work. We are in the process of getting changes to the latest proto made now and hope to have it final and ready to roll by April of 2011.

Pricing will be higher than the Dual Pack due to some amped up features and an unmatched combination of disc and accessory storage. Can't give you a final number as retail price is typically the last thing that is decided but I can guarantee you that it won't be anywhere near $270!"

"The target price is right around $200, but for a project of this type, we make it as good as possible and then build the price around that. No restrictions!"

To the point of the original subject line, it seems hard to compare the Grip and Mahal Directly because they are not really comparable in size, capacity or pricing. For those that have had the Grip and deemed it too small, you must truly want to be able to carry a ton of shit. The Grip so far seems easily able to carry all the discs I need and my everyday crap in the pockets with room to spare for extra food, clothes, beer or whatever when I want it. Maybe not all those things at once, unless in limited quantity, but I very rarely want to carry all of the above at a given time. All my concerns regarding the Grip tour bag are related to materials and build quality. If those thing get sorted out I probably won't ever have a need for another disc golf bag. If the materials and construction quality don't improve I'll have to find something else. Probably not the Mahal though. I wouldn't balk at the price if it was something I wanted but it looks too big and cumbersome, not unlike the Dualpack or Simian. The Grip bag is just a teardrop shaped everyday bookbag type backpack reengineered for disc golf. That's all most of us want.

Thanks for that ^

I went ahead and picked up a Grip bag from a guy on DGCR because the Mahal is too steep in the $$$ department. It's from the next run so let's see if things get better...

The one thing about the Mahal I don't like is the 4.8lbs of weight empty. That is like 12 discs or something.

I dont want the same disc golf bag for the rest of my life anyway. I am always looking to cut weight. I have had 7 knee surgies between both knees so the extra 5lbs is a waste in my eyes.

Aye, injuries dictate things in life unfortunately, and I like new bags as well. Probably would have tens if money were no limit.

Found out that production has started on the bags. If everything goes as planned I'll have my bag in my hands on March 28th. Just thought I would update this thread mainly stating that production has started and they will be shipping soon.

Yikes, really? Was considering asking them to change my order from black to ACU camo...

I too ordered the Mahal after extensive research. I didn't like the idea of spending 80 bucks plus on a bag.
However, I figured I would if I wanted a bag that would keep up and not start to fray, tear after a season. I finally found the best price on a well-known, reputable bag for 65 bucks. Almost pulled the trigger, then somehow I was led to the Golf Mahal (by the grace of divine intervention, no doubt). The price had me cover my eyes, after much resistance I ever-so slightly peeked through a gape between my fingers, and admired her body. After much time I finally pushed up my lower jaw from the floor and actually read about it, inspecting the pics and learning about Mystery Ranch- It then became a no-brainer.

Here are my personal reasons for droppin' serious clams on a disc golf bag:

-Lifetime Guarantee
-Mystery Ranch (great company- excellence in craftsmanship; Made in the States and takes care of
their employees)
-Hand Made
-Set up for a hydration system.
-Storage-I live in a region of four seasons with the occasional volatile storm thus the Mahal's capability
of storing weather-related gear (i.e.- rain gear, down vests/sweaters, wind breakers,
emergency tube tent, snake bite kit, ham radio, zombie/crackhead deterrents)

-Great for those long and/or treacherous terrain courses (hello Diamond X)
-Dual bottle reserves that are in easy reach while walking.
-With the larger side compartments I can drop in small dry bags, add ice and beer- voila.
-Collapsible side compartments for a more slender pack.
-Conversation piece
-Will never suffer any symptoms of DGBE-Disc Golf Bag Envy
-Multi-uses-
-As a photographer- I can drop in temporary, removable cushions.
-With the dynamics of the main compartment, coupled with the smaller ones- this unit will make
an excellent picnic pack (drop in a small cooler).
-Perfect as a shopping pack- especially when traveling.
-Day pack for hiking

Latest posts