• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] GYRO durability.. legit?

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I plan on doing more of these kind of videos and know for sure not all MVPs are made equal but just wanted to get this out there as it is one of the sharpest/biggest gyro rims to come out and holds up very well in the distance driver class.

As a dealer ive order MVPs which are not what i would consider up to "par" with regularly found MVP stuff but in general the durability is excellent and even when very seasoned or with a huge chunk out etc the molds tend to fly truer vs other brands. You know GYRO and stuff.

It doesnt even bother me 1 bit to do this to a new MVP disc. I have put so many of them thru hell and back just so i know im not crazy that it makes me feel good to share with everyone.

First of all, your fanboi ADHD posts self promoting your relationship with MVP are top notch.

Second of all, yes MVP gyro rims are amazingly durable. When I used to play Buffalo Ridge in AZ on the regular I would routinely retire discs after a single round. I never retired a single MVP disc there.

I've done this same thing to an Inspire trying to beat it in. Smashed it into concrete several times, but I was chucking it from waist high.

You could barely tell anything changed in the disc.

AIM, you should do it to a Champion disc to see the difference.

If you have access to a brick wall, I'd like to see some full power drives into them.

I have found my gyro discs to be virtually indestructible except for landing vertical on pavement/brick/you get the idea. This seems to really show a weakness in the OM, it's happened to putters, miss, fairways and distance drivers. Even happens in short shots. Full power drives into trees are no big deal, hyzer spikes don't bother it, but gritty hard surfaces like concrete dig into the overmold bad when vertical. Strange cause skips don't bother the OM either

I plan on doing more of these kind of videos and know for sure not all MVPs are made equal but just wanted to get this out there as it is one of the sharpest/biggest gyro rims to come out and holds up very well in the distance driver class.

As a dealer ive order MVPs which are not what i would consider up to "par" with regularly found MVP stuff but in general the durability is excellent and even when very seasoned or with a huge chunk out etc the molds tend to fly truer vs other brands. You know GYRO and stuff.

It doesnt even bother me 1 bit to do this to a new MVP disc. I have put so many of them thru hell and back just so i know im not crazy that it makes me feel good to share with everyone.

The real question is will your ion break in half in the freezing temperatures like an aviar does

I have found my gyro discs to be virtually indestructible except for landing vertical on pavement/brick/you get the idea. This seems to really show a weakness in the OM, it's happened to putters, miss, fairways and distance drivers. Even happens in short shots. Full power drives into trees are no big deal, hyzer spikes don't bother it, but gritty hard surfaces like concrete dig into the overmold bad when vertical. Strange cause skips don't bother the OM either

In my experience, I have found that the overmold doesn't rash for me much like most premium plastic. It does show scars a lot more easily though.

I just want to see if he can warp the disc.

Fwiw ive never warped a premium plastic MVP. I have pinched many flight plate to plate or rim to rim with bending alone and thrown the same disc off the teepad.

After a quick taco we are g2g here..

Attachments

• 1484364193856.jpg
    1484364193856.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 1484364257280.jpg
    1484364257280.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Yeah I gotcha
I'm not trying to get upset at MVP for their overmolds at all, the abuse I put these discs through is quite extreme. I'll get a couple pictures up tomorrow, specifically on my Defy and Resistor there are pretty sizeable marks from landing vertical on asphalt. Seems to be a krypronite for the OMs

Oh i have major chunks out of some MVP rims for sure but they still fly fine. No one is upset here my mans! Hell ive had them run over etc.

. It does show scars a lot more easily though.

With axiom i really noticed this but wondered if it was just the colors. After throwing a bunch of the molds it seems like they might get dirty or scuffed vs more so which gives the appearance of beat up. I know ive cleaned up a many eclipse or light colored axiom disc from a 5-6 to a 7-8 no doubt. The mud and minor blemishes stick out a lot when new.

If you have access to a brick wall, I'd like to see some full power drives into them.

No problem. Next week's episode will feature that for sure. My buddy was worried i would hit the basement window but we know I'm no chucker lol. Already did this a few times with an ion/atom. Surprisingly the atom held up better vs expected.

The real question is will your ion break in half in the freezing temperatures like an aviar does

Well that catalyst was frozen (you can't have warm discs here if you want to play) and all i have used for years+ now are MVPs which never have cracked. Only ones ive seen broke are some sun dried BS.

I have mashed ions for a long time and might pee my pants if one cracked that i bag.

Last edited:

Well here's a brick wall VS electron Ions :D

I'd suggest the gradual seasoning from the tree flicks over the wall. That seasoned purple is a beautiful putting putter these days. Super straight off the tee too.

I could do a video with premium plastic MVP, but looks like AIM already plans to.

I could do a video with premium plastic MVP, but looks like AIM already plans to.

Nah go for it! More peeps who can see the durability the better. Ive literally stood on the teepad and thrown my driver a few times full power rip style into concrete and proceeded to throw a nice shot just to show the rims are not soft or grippy.

Electron plastic excluded lol. It can sti fly nice even beat but damn it gets fugly....

Last edited:
Who was it that hit the ladder up in a tree with the first throw? I remember the picture of the ladder he took, lol.

What about letting discs beat in the natural way thru use on courses? Trying to beat the hell out of a disc to change OS to stable, or stable to US? Just throw the stable or US mold maybe?

Who was it that hit the ladder up in a tree with the first throw? I remember the picture of the ladder he took, lol.

I don't remember taking a picture of the ladder, so maybe this happened to more than just me? But I did hit a ladder that was in a tree my first day out with the Inertia. Took a big gouge out of the rim. The was 2 years ago I think. Still flies pretty much the same today.

Latest posts