• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Harrassing Texts from Disc Thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pretty epic melts in this thread. OP delivers pizza.

This conversation is all much more complex than it needs to be.

It is simple. Binky Yutz, could you (and anyone else for that matter) please be a nice person and make a minimal effort to contact the owner of a disc that you find that has contact information on it? Please? I'm not looking for any explanations or justifications. I'm not going to go into if it is wrong to keep a disc, but I think we can agree that it is a good deed to return a disc and be nice to our fellow human beings and disc golfers. So, can you please do that?

I no longer call numbers either, it's a serious pain in the ass to try and hook up with some stoner to return his disc. The last one I called took almost 3 weeks to get his disc to him. I had to keep calling him! I finally told him where I hid it and he could pick it up when ever he chose to.

If I find a disc with no name, I keep it if I can't find the owner on the course. If it has a name and number, I might throw it a few times and then I do what the parks and rec guys do, I leave it on the bench at hole one.

None of my discs have my info on them, if I lose them, it's on me, so be it. I never put my info on golf balls either! It's a freaking used $10 piece of plastic at best and to me, its not worth the trouble.

I've also found sweat shirts, flashlights, hats, gloves and even a pair of sneakers. The flashlight I kept, the rest went on bench one.

Thank you for being honest about it...I avoid all the hassle by NOT putting my info in my discs.....finders keepers...bro.....so if someone finds one of my discs, it has been "abandoned" and I hope it serves the finder well.

This conversation is all much more complex than it needs to be.

It is simple. Binky Yutz, could you (and anyone else for that matter) please be a nice person and make a minimal effort to contact the owner of a disc that you find that has contact information on it? Please? I'm not looking for any explanations or justifications. I'm not going to go into if it is wrong to keep a disc, but I think we can agree that it is a good deed to return a disc and be nice to our fellow human beings and disc golfers. So, can you please do that?

I HAVE done that....repeatedly....as I have stated....I no longer bother due to many, many reasons...I'm a bad person, everyone look at the bad man....so I guess I have secured front row seats in Hell...at least all my friends will be there.

You people take this thing way to seriously....it must be nice sitting on your throne determining folks moral standing in the world.....

...I'm a bad person, everyone look at the bad man....so I guess I have secured front row seats in Hell...at least all my friends will be there.

So since you have now admitted it, can we count on no longer having any of the first statements? :|

I enjoy the irony of someone chastising others in the thread for taking things way too seriously while making 4 posts on the thread in the span of a couple hours.

To me, if making a simple phone call is going to be too big of a hassle (and I can certainly heard plenty of legit reasons why it might be), a disc finder always has another out. Simply don't take the found disc. Either leave it where you found it, or put it somewhere where someone else will find it, and they can deal with it. I usually place them on top of the nearest basket.

....so what is an appropriate amount of effort or money I should expend to try to return a $7 - $15 disc....I would like to know what the limitations are because I don't have a lot of disposable income.

If you need guidelines, the effort is one outreach and return their phone calls. No money and minimal time by offering to let them pick it up from you or they mail you a postage paid envelope. You may find another easy way during a conversation.

I HAVE done that....repeatedly....as I have stated....I no longer bother due to many, many reasons...I'm a bad person, everyone look at the bad man....so I guess I have secured front row seats in Hell...at least all my friends will be there.

Like I said, I'm not looking for any explanations or justifications or "many, many reasons." I was very careful not say you are wrong. I'm not calling you a bad person. I'm just asking you to make a small effort to be a slightly nicer person. Please.

No money and minimal time by offering to let them pick it up from you or they mail you a postage paid envelope. You may find another easy way during a conversation.
In Binky's defense, it needs to be stated that some folks whose discs get found aren't that accommodating when it comes to arranging the return and think the finder should bend over backwards for them. Those folks to me are far more irritating than finders who don't call.

in most grownups' defense, it's easy to spot when you're dealing with a non-accommodating person, and you can deal with them as such... tell them the new location of their property (obviously, not in your possession) and be done with it.

in most grownups' defense, it's easy to spot when you're dealing with a non-accommodating person, and you can deal with them as such... tell them the new location of their property (obviously, not in your possession) and be done with it.
Which can get to be grating on one's nerves after some well mannered grownup, trying to do the morally right thing, encounters enough of these folks who think getting back a lost disc is an entitlement. So one day, they stop calling because wasting their cell phone minutes dealing with such folks isn't worth it. They get enough of that crap from their family and co-workers and came to the course to get away from that.

Like I said, just leave it in the old location and move on. Its one thing to go into a pond actively trying to pull other people's discs out to either keep or sell. Its another to just stumble upon one while minding your own business. You don't have to pick it up. Nobody would blame you if you didn't.

Which can get to be grating on one's nerves after some well mannered grownup, trying to do the morally right thing, encounters enough of these folks who think getting back a lost disc is an entitlement. So one day, they stop calling because wasting their cell phone minutes dealing with such folks isn't worth it. They get enough of that crap from their family and co-workers and came to the course to get away from that.

Like I said, just leave it in the old location and move on. Its one thing to go into a pond actively trying to pull other people's discs out to either keep or sell. Its another to just stumble upon one while minding your own business. You don't have to pick it up. Nobody would blame you if you didn't.
You're making a lot of sense but just from reading this thread I'm not sure your last statement is true.

I live in the Twin cities and once I was playing Bryant and found a Sidewinder in the swamp off 14. On the back of the disc was "you have stumbled upon my disc, what you do now is up to you, but let me leave you with this, I have a particular set of skills...." and it went on from there, the whole bottom of the disc was like a novel. I laughed so damn hard and called the guy right away. We shared a laugh and I got it back to him, we met up to play and he gave me another sidewinder in return. It was a good day.

Twin City Disc Golf does a great job in our DG community. I think it's rare to find jerks out there, but they DO exist.

I live in the Twin cities and once I was playing Bryant and found a Sidewinder in the swamp off 14. On the back of the disc was "you have stumbled upon my disc, what you do now is up to you, but let me leave you with this, I have a particular set of skills...." and it went on from there, the whole bottom of the disc was like a novel. I laughed so damn hard and called the guy right away. We shared a laugh and I got it back to him, we met up to play and he gave me another sidewinder in return. It was a good day.

Twin City Disc Golf does a great job in our DG community. I think it's rare to find jerks out there, but they DO exist.

Often trying to return a disc gets you a good story or maybe a new friend, or maybe the person will say "keep it" which feels nice too. I don't see the problem with at least calling anytime you have a phone number.

You're making a lot of sense but just from reading this thread I'm not sure your last statement is true.
Yeah, I probably didn't think that one out.

Although I can't recall any "leaving a lost disc where I found it" arguments on here.

Funny thing, I stumbled across binky's soul the other day... I thought about returning it, but as it was obviously abandoned and not lost (since it was under a rock and not out in the open), so I chucked it in the Styxx instead.

Funny thing, I stumbled across binky's soul the other day... I thought about returning it, but as it was obviously abandoned and not lost (since it was under a rock and not out in the open), so I chucked it in the Styxx instead.

Well played sir, my hat is off to you, that is genuinely funny....yes, even I have a sense of humor, and that was brilliantly written and worded, I especially like the mention of the River Styx.

Touche'....I shall remain forever silent on the subject of lost discs. A far more touchy subject than I had anticipated.

Well played sir, my hat is off to you, that is genuinely funny....yes, even I have a sense of humor, and that was brilliantly written and worded, I especially like the mention of the River Styx.

Well it was almost brilliantly worded but I totally grammar failed.

So.. you can probably tell from my "years playing" stat, but I'm pretty new to the sport and I just want to get this right.

Is it distance or control that makes you a top?

Status
Not open for further replies.