• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has anybody switched back to a shoulder bag?

M2daRizzle

Par Member
I was wondering if anybody has switched back to a standard shoulder bag after trying out backpacks. I have tried a lot of backpacks the last few years and I have been happy, especially with my pound octothorpe. However, I have been thinking back fondly to the days when I first started and had a Fade tourney bag.

I really miss several things about having a traditional bag. I miss taking the discs in and out of the top. I miss being able to pull a putter and putt out with out taking my bag off. I miss being able to see all of my discs while carrying my bag from hole to hole and shot to shot. These arent great reasons, and these things are possible with backpacks, but I just remember it being easier with a shoulder bag.

Nostalgia may be my main motivator, but I am really considering picking up a voodoo mojo or karma and using a traditional bag for the fall/winter just to see how it goes.

Has anybody else switched back to a traditional bag? I was hoping you could share your experience and whether or not you stuck with the traditional bag.

I tried a couple backpacks in the last 4-5 years, my Favorite of which, was an Upper Parks. But, even liking the Upper Parks as much as I did, I ended up going back to a standard bag with straps. I like being able to carry the standard bag lower towards my butt, to keep my back from getting sweaty/sticky, like a backpack does, and I I like to carry fewer discs than I need a backpack for. Now, I found a CART makes life even easier.... :)

When I don't use a cart I use an Innova 12 disc shoulder bag.

standard-featured.jpg

I Spider Monkey very often (double Nutsac'd for a while), Tana Pro only comes out on new courses I'm not familiar with, tournaments, or other certain circumstances like gold to gold Iron Hill.

I actually just switched back mainly for storage size in trunk of car reasons. It's faster on and off, and yes, i do pull out my putter while on.

That said, I miss having the extra discs and probably will switch back.

When I don't use a cart I use an Innova 12 disc shoulder bag.

standard-featured.jpg

One of my favorite ways to play is with one of these ^^^^^^

Easy, convenient, light weight and just plain simple.

Tried a few backpacks, I find the bigger ones to be pretty annoying. Have a Fossa pro that I only used once this year for a tourney, otherwise it gathers dust.

My regular back pack is a Grip c-14, that's as big as I want and I find them pretty comfortable, but the taking it on and off can get irritating at times, especially when it's hot.

For casual rounds, the Innova Standard is pretty hard to beat.:thmbup:

Well I never switched away from a shoulder bag.
But I only carry 8-11 discs.
Squirrel Monkey does just fine.

I've got a tournament bag with back pack straps same complaint about extra heat etc, every time I pulled it out and shelved the double Nutsac I have usually regretted it, I play best light ideally with six or seven discs I can move a lot faster, wear out less, and can play bag on if it is wet as long as I'm six discs or less. Space to pack water is an issue though, I glued a change pocket and back pocket of an old pair of jeans inside my bag for an extra stash spot.

Bought a Fossa Tana a few years ago. I can't seem to be able to get it on or off without the straps scraping my arms bad enough to make me stop using it.

Have a small Discraft bag and an Innova medium size bag. Use the Tana when I need to carry lots of things other than discs, usually in winter.

I swap out to my Fade Crunch with straps when it starts getting cooler. The long, loopy straps are easy to adjust to accommodate the extra layers I'm usually wearing.

I started out using a Innova Standard shoulder bag like the one pictured loaned to me 5 years ago. I wound up buying one just like it. I have tried a couple of larger shoulder bags, but being in my 70's I find that it's just too tiring to carry that much weight and I really don't need to carry more than 10-12 discs for my game anyway. Also, the Innova Standard bag carries a lot of accessories for no larger than it is. Mine is getting pretty well worn and I will most likely be buying another just like it.

If it wasn't for a cart, I'd go back to a shoulder bag with quad straps. In general they seem to be able to be carried lower

I think the Mojo would be too big to comfortably use with just a shoulder strap. I have mine with quad straps, and it can be carried over one shoulder for short distances, which is convenient. Even better is the Juju with lightweight quad straps (Innova I think). That's the perfect light duty setup for me. 11 discs and a drink is perfect. Anything more and I'll have the cart.

If top loading is your issue, which I understand, check out the dynamic commander backpack. Or the Golf Mahal.....if you can find one.

I tried Phoenix straps on my Innova over the should bag a few years ago. I didn't like them at all. I sold them on here.

A couple of years ago I got a Magellan backpack and really liked it. So I upgraded to a Millennium Flak 4 backpack that I got on here. I really like it and it's comfortable. It has a couple drawbacks that I might address in the future with a different backpack. I don't anticipate going back to an over the shoulder bag for my normal bag, though.

I do use a Lat 64 Slim Jimb bag for rounds where I don't want to carry a full bag.

If top loading is your issue, which I understand, check out the dynamic commander backpack. Or the Golf Mahal.....if you can find one.

I have a DD Commander. I'd say it's probably the most shoulder-like backpack bag. I like the top loading, easy access putter pockets, and what's really nice is that you don't have to bend over as far to pick it up because the top handle sits about a foot higher off the ground than any shoulder bag. Sure, these pluses come at the expense of storage space, but a shoulder bag wouldn't have more anyway.

It's actually a little big for the amount of discs I carry, but I just use one side of the divider in the main compartment for 11 discs of storage plus another 2 putters up top.

Latest posts