• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has anybody switched back to a shoulder bag?

I use one quite often probably more than my regular backpack bag. I mostly use it when I am riding my motorcycle to play disc golf, which is more than my car..

I have a Mahl, a DD Commander, my wife has UP Shift, and I have used/tried plenty of backpacks.

My goto bag, is my Voodoo Mojo with quads. Super sturdy and sits well. I carry 8-10 discs in main and 2 putters. The only time I switch to the Mahl is if I am playing a mountain course or a tournament where I need to carry significant backups.

Gateway tour bag for me, they are made very well with top notch materials.
I have auditioned a few backpacks over the years but don't like them against my back when the temperatures are up and don't like the higher center of gravity on slopes.
The only problem is there are no high quality quad straps these days. Probably not a big enough market.

Was contemplating a set of the DGA Gel straps for my Gorilla boy Silverback. Has anyone tried them? Thoughts?

I have a DD Commander. I'd say it's probably the most shoulder-like backpack bag. I like the top loading, easy access putter pockets, and what's really nice is that you don't have to bend over as far to pick it up because the top handle sits about a foot higher off the ground than any shoulder bag. Sure, these pluses come at the expense of storage space, but a shoulder bag wouldn't have more anyway.

It's actually a little big for the amount of discs I carry, but I just use one side of the divider in the main compartment for 11 discs of storage plus another 2 putters up top.

Actually if you can find them, the Gateway backpack bags except maybe the Ozark are like a traditional bag modified to use backpack style. I have thought about getting one and then modifying the bag to have a carry strap as well. Problem is the 2 smaller backpack styles have become hard to find in the last 2 years as if the Gateway brand wants you to buy a big Ozark bag for a backpack even if you would not need such a bag size.

Actually the biggest of the shoulder bags Innova makes has more storage then the DD Commander by a bit with all the skinny pockets it has. That is about as big as I see in shoulder bags that are still being made. Reason that Innova bag is still made is that GGGT has a cart that only traditonal bags work on it, maybe a bag like the Commander.

I have auditioned a few backpacks over the years but don't like them against my back when the temperatures are up and don't like the higher center of gravity on slopes.
The only problem is there are no high quality quad straps these days. Probably not a big enough market.

Brands still make high quality quad style straps these days, they just take a bit to find. Some of the models that had springs in the setup failed in the 2000's when they came out as nobody likes a bag that bounces up and down while waking from throw to throw and hole to hole. The Gel models never fully took off with brands as the gel can get hot in the middle of summer and can get hard in winter if cold enough. The straps really just need to be wide enough to take the pain away and prevent localized rubbing that can happen with a skinny strap. I see lots of running water/storage packs do not have padding in the straps but have wide straps that are wide enough to prevent as much rubbing as the straps can.

I've definitely considered picking up a GB Squirrel Monkey and some quad straps. Primarily to carry a further condensed version of my normal 17 disc loadout. I'd love to have a setup for 12ish discs and I think that would be perfect. Most actual backpack bags aren't setup for very small disc count, or if they are, they are super bare bones and have no real storage.

Look at tool bag companies. Lots of high quality straps that are comfortable and extremely durable.

I really miss several things about having a traditional bag. I miss taking the discs in and out of the top. I miss being able to pull a putter and putt out with out taking my bag off. I miss being able to see all of my discs while carrying my bag from hole to hole and shot to shot...

Has anybody else switched back to a traditional bag? I was hoping you could share your experience and whether or not you stuck with the traditional bag.

I was planning to start a simlar thread because I have been considering getting my first backpack and could easily see not keeping it for the reasons you listed.

Anyone have other things they don't like about backpacks?

Most actual backpack bags aren't setup for very small disc count, or if they are, they are super bare bones and have no real storage.

Yeah, I initially wanted about a 14 disc bag with two drink holders and room for a sweatshirt and other junk but didn't find anything.

If I do decide to get a backpack, I am leaning toward a Rebel and using the dividers shrink the disc storage area.

I tried a backpack once and got so frustrated with it that I was tempted to throw it in a pond before I finished the round, restrained only by the fact that it was a new one I was testing, and I wanted to keep it "new".

It was probably that particular backpack, but I had a long health-related layout afterwards and didn't get to try some others.

I have a tournament bag with quad straps, which holds more than enough discs for me, and gives me all the storage I need. Like the OP, I really like the ease of exchanging discs through an open top. (A lot of my frustration came from a top-heavy backpack, falling over repeatedly when set down on steep hills).

I suspect I'll find the right backpack and move up one day. It certainly seems to be the trend; I don't see a lot of people move back. But at the moment, I fall in the category of having gone back.

I tried a backpack once and got so frustrated with it that I was tempted to throw it in a pond before I finished the round, restrained only by the fact that it was a new one I was testing, and I wanted to keep it "new".

It was probably that particular backpack, but I had a long health-related layout afterwards and didn't get to try some others.

I have a tournament bag with quad straps, which holds more than enough discs for me, and gives me all the storage I need. Like the OP, I really like the ease of exchanging discs through an open top. (A lot of my frustration came from a top-heavy backpack, falling over repeatedly when set down on steep hills).

I suspect I'll find the right backpack and move up one day. It certainly seems to be the trend; I don't see a lot of people move back. But at the moment, I fall in the category of having gone back.

Look for Backpacks then that are more top opening. The Dynamic Disc Commander is a good one as are the Gateway smaller backpacks, not the Ozark, if you an find the smaller backpacks. If you can't find the Gateway models and do not like the Dynamic Disc Commander then look for a lower to the ground backpack or one that has a wide bottom in both directions to stabilize the bag.

Look for Backpacks then that are more top opening. The Dynamic Disc Commander is a good one as are the Gateway smaller backpacks, not the Ozark, if you an find the smaller backpacks. If you can't find the Gateway models and do not like the Dynamic Disc Commander then look for a lower to the ground backpack or one that has a wide bottom in both directions to stabilize the bag.

Thanks. As I mentioned, I'll probably try some others and move up, one day.

The one I chose to try that day was a Ranger, specifically because the top storage area was top-loading. But putting discs there made it top-heavy.

When I look at backpacks, I look at having a full open flap on top of the disc storage area. But right now, it's not a priority for me; there's not much advantage, for the number of discs I carry, over what I'm using now.

Thanks. As I mentioned, I'll probably try some others and move up, one day.

The one I chose to try that day was a Ranger, specifically because the top storage area was top-loading. But putting discs there made it top-heavy.

When I look at backpacks, I look at having a full open flap on top of the disc storage area. But right now, it's not a priority for me; there's not much advantage, for the number of discs I carry, over what I'm using now.

That makes sense. I had to search to find a new bag that would work for me as my old Discraft Tournament single strap bag, the generation 2 was wearing out. I wanted something with a seat but did not want or feel the need to spend $150 on a knock off of the Gorilla Boy Simian or even the price for a Simian. I found something and only flaw is its weight when in not packed up with discs/gear.

I've had an UPD backpack for a while now. I haven't felt the urge to change but I can see how some backpack designs can be frustrating. I do use a generic nut sac type bag when I only want to carry 4-5 discs.

All the reasons you posted for the shoulder bag are legit. I just hate how they carry if you have too many discs.

I've had an UPD backpack for a while now. I haven't felt the urge to change but I can see how some backpack designs can be frustrating. I do use a generic nut sac type bag when I only want to carry 4-5 discs.

All the reasons you posted for the shoulder bag are legit. I just hate how they carry if you have too many discs.

Yeah I forgot most the Upper Parks bags are a type of open top bag too. The exception is the Urban model as it is what is bringing on the new bags that do not look like standard disc golf backpacks but rather a backpack , same with the beginner pack that Upper Parks makes that looks like a small drawstring backpack.

Yeah some bags are not the best bags for some peoples needs, the backpack falls flat for them or they carry more discs then most backpacks can hold and have the quad straps and the biggest of the shoulder kind or use a cart of some kind.

Last edited:
Yeah I forgot most the Upper Parks bags are a type of open top bag too. The exception is the Urban model as it is what is bringing on the new bags that do not look like standard disc golf backpacks but rather a backpack , same with the beginner pack that Upper Parks makes that looks like a small drawstring backpack.

Yeah some bags are not the best bags for some peoples needs, the backpack falls flat for them or they carry more discs then most backpacks can hold and have the quad straps and the biggest of the shoulder kind or use a cart of some kind.

yeah

I'm not into the backpacks that have the row of discs squashed into the bottom. gotta be open

yeah

I'm not into the backpacks that have the row of discs squashed into the bottom. gotta be open

I do not mind some like the Classic style of disc golf backpacks that the Heropack/Superhero pack and others use, even some others. I do not like having with my backpack now the type that have the storage on top of the bag, those top storage tend to sag in the backpack if not supported with a stiff bottom to that upper storage.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. Well, I decided I'm going for it. Like I mentioned in the first post, I had planned on buying a mojo or karma from voodoo because I planned on carrying more discs. However, during the tournament I played on saturday I really tried to keep track of the discs I used the most and I have come to the conclusion that I really only need to carry 10-12 discs and still have all of my shots covered.

So I dug my old fade crunch box out of storage that I got long ago and will be using that for all my rounds through the winter, even for tournament rounds. I'm really looking forward to simpler, more minimilistic rounds.

Latest posts