• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Help me pick 4 Gateway discs

46YearOldSlinger

Double Eagle Member
I'm considering buying a Gateway Mini backpack and have been told by someone who knows someone at Gateway that if you buy it from Gateway they'll throw in 4 discs. If anyone can confirm this that would be great or link would be even better (I couldn't find it with a brief Google search).

Anyway I'm assuming I can get this deal and if so i need to pick 4 gateway discs. I know everyone will say wizards but I'm already set on my Novas so don't really need a putter. I throw RHBH and can get distance drivers a little over 300ft. I'm open to any mids, fairways, or distance drivers that you guys would recommend as I really don't know that much about gateway discs. If it helps to know which discs I throw well I'll list: Nova, Tangent, Foxbat, Roc3, Leo, River, Crave, Hatchet, Inertia, and Tern.

If you know of any "must haves" from gateway the input is appreciated.

Thanks!

get an apache. It's a great control driver. A sabre is a slow driver, fairly neutral. You might want to try a mystic or an element which are mids. I really do like apaches though.

Gateway doesn't make other discs besides the Wizard.

You poor sheltered people!!!!!
Assassins & Apaches are solid drivers
Demon is a good OS mid
Element is an awesome underrated US mid
Karma is a good stable/slightly OS mid
Spirit aka Gateway Left (RHBH), well it's kinda stable

Gateway has good molds but the plastic is more hit or miss than any other brand I've ever thrown. Also you said no putters but the Shaman is a fun to throw US putter/mid tweener. Chief is the stable version

I hear Warriors are pretty nice OS mids. Not as overstable as the Demon, but more than the Karma. Also, I'm pretty sure it's beadless, if that tickles your fancy.

The Element and Demon are great Mids, element is a good stable workhorse and the Demon is kind of like a Drone or Gator. You would so well with either.

The Apache is a great fairway/ control driver.

I really like the Spirit and the non dimple Speed Demons the are kind of like the Destroyer/ Wraith of Gateway but more OS on both.

Honestly if you are open to trying a putter an Evo, S or SS Wizard or Warlock are fantastic putters. I'm split on which I prefer but they are both great.

I'd check out an Assassin, if your throwing around 300, that will probably be much more reliable for you than a Tern. If your looking at mids they have a good line up, Karma and Element pair well together as does the Scout and Mystic. If you are set on Novas I would check out a Chief or Wizard for throwing duties, the Evo plastic makes for a good driving putter that will have some finish to complement the neutral flying Nova. Another to maybe try on a whim would be get a S Illusion, new they are stable and will be good if you want to learn forehand/overhand or need a headwind driver without buying a pure meathook like the Spirit or Rage, but when you get it beat and flippy they have a rep as being one of the best backhand roller discs ever made.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of the input. Reading some reviews the Assassin and Sabre sound like they'd be right up my ally for control drivers. I'm also considering picking up a Ninja. I know I probably don't have the arm for it but for some reason I'm intrigued and just want to try it for fun. It does have a very small chance of making the bag as I'm looking for a go to Thumber/Tomahawk disc. As for mids I'm considering the Scout (Element looks good but understable mid slot is locked for me). The demon sounds intriguing as I don't have a disc in this category - my most stable/overstable mid is a 180 champ Roc3.

So much fun pick out discs to try that you know you don't really need!

Edit note: I don't play tournaments so no concerns on the the legality of the Ninja. I just do this for fun!

The Scout is also a solid midrange, very Buzzz-like but further.

Having been sponsored by Gateway from 2001-2006 and still throw a few of their molds, I will put my two cents worth in.

Blaze, best kept secret there is in disc golf. Kind of a tweener midrange/fairway driver. Overstable and can be used for BH or FH. Great short thumber disc too.

Assassin, a solid tweener disc. Powers down great for fairway drives, but can be powered up for 400+ ft. distance shots.

Shaman, as a few have stated is a great driving putter. The Wizard/Shaman combo is a great way to go for putters. I carry two wizards for putting duties only and then 1 wizard and 1 shaman for driving duties only.

Mystic, dead nuts straight out of the box. And it beats in to a nice slow turnover midrange.

Assassin was the first disc I threw dead straight for tunnel shots and the outer rim feeling was pretty cool. Never knew why I stopped throwing it, but I always got compliments on how straight I could throw it in the woods

Demon-OS Mid that is a beast and lasts forever. Shorter Firebird.
Karma-faster KC Roc
Element-faster dead straight broken in Roc
Illusion-super fast OS driver. very first wide rimmed driver that I remember

I'm considering buying a Gateway Mini backpack and have been told by someone who knows someone at Gateway that if you buy it from Gateway they'll throw in 4 discs. If anyone can confirm this that would be great or link would be even better (I couldn't find it with a brief Google search).

Anyway I'm assuming I can get this deal and if so i need to pick 4 gateway discs. I know everyone will say wizards but I'm already set on my Novas so don't really need a putter. I throw RHBH and can get distance drivers a little over 300ft. I'm open to any mids, fairways, or distance drivers that you guys would recommend as I really don't know that much about gateway discs. If it helps to know which discs I throw well I'll list: Nova, Tangent, Foxbat, Roc3, Leo, River, Crave, Hatchet, Inertia, and Tern.

If you know of any "must haves" from gateway the input is appreciated.

Thanks!

it sounds like you might have changed your mind on if you need a new putter? get 4 magics, 2 in ss, and 2 in sss

Having been sponsored by Gateway from 2001-2006 and still throw a few of their molds, I will put my two cents worth in.

Blaze, best kept secret there is in disc golf. Kind of a tweener midrange/fairway driver. Overstable and can be used for BH or FH. Great short thumber disc too.

Assassin, a solid tweener disc. Powers down great for fairway drives, but can be powered up for 400+ ft. distance shots.

Shaman, as a few have stated is a great driving putter. The Wizard/Shaman combo is a great way to go for putters. I carry two wizards for putting duties only and then 1 wizard and 1 shaman for driving duties only.

Mystic, dead nuts straight out of the box. And it beats in to a nice slow turnover midrange.

Must be nice having been sponsored before you started playing 11.4 years ago.

As for Gateway discs that's aren't named Wizard, I have bagged the Warrior, Apache, and Slayer in years past. Each one is a gem in it's own category.

Don't know if you've ordered yet but I am chiming in for the demon. Awesome mid, very roc like, reliable but also great for flicking on tight tunnel shots. Also the demon in evolution HPP plastic can take a nice beating.

The Chief is like a straighter Zone. Not flippy, just real straight with a little fade. Honestly, it is one of my favorite discs at the moment.