• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Help me with my next disc purchase! (Please) :)

Nasty Nate

Double Eagle Member
I have been looking to get some new discs and decided to ask for some suggestions from the fine community here. Right now my bag is as follows:

Z Nuke SS
Champion Destroyer
-----
Z Xpress (+1 I found that I don't carry with me)
------
Z Buzzz
ESP FLX Drone
------
ESP FLX Challenger

So as you can see, there may be just a few gaps in there that should be addressed. Right now I am jonesing to try some Latitude 64 discs and I also am looking at some Innova. But I just want to make sure I pick the right stuff to round out my bag and I don't get a disc that I don't necessarily need.

Firstly, I would like an overstable to slightly overstable driver. I was considering a GL Saint and also a Star Teebird. Although the stamps on the Opto are so much cooler, I would like to try the GL plastic. Also everyone seems to love the Teebird and it sounds like a good bet.

Then I would like to address my midrange. I was thinking about an understable mid but I was wondering if maybe I don't need that since my Buzzz will go pretty much wherever you put it. I was thinking about trying a Roc for a little comparison, but if they are the same then I don't really want to do that. I'm not sure I have everything covered with just a Buzzz and a Drone, but the Buzzz does feel like a utility disc.

I guess right now I am most concerned with drivers. The Xpress is a decent disc but I am not in love with it so I am open to replacing it, although it does fill the understable driver spot.

Suggestions? Recommendations? I am open to trying anything but these are just what I've been looking at and I really want to try Latitude 64. I can't wait to throw some new plastic! :thmbup:

If you like the buzzz and want a more US compliment...grab a buzzz ss or a Comet and learn how to throw it with finesse. It will make shots that your buzzz cannot (or at the least it'll make those shots far, far easier to manage)...and if you learn how to gain a good control of it, it will help your game immensely.

If you want to try Lat. 64...try a Fuse. It might not sync with you right away, but I think you'd grow to like it after a while.

If you like overstable drivers I would give the Giant a toss. I feel it compares favorably to some of the beefy destroyers out there.

The DD Trespass is a good one too. Not overstable, per se, but a really nice flying disc.

And if you want something super-beefy, get a Stiletto. Not a disc for any sort of distance but it is great fun to throw something so overstable.

I know you said you were interested in lat and innova, but I think you may enjoy Vibram for the choices you're looking at. for the fairway, try an ascent and for the mid try an ibex. Amazing discs.

For those slots in innova, a mako or kite might work for the mid and a teebird or eagle could fit the fairway slot you requested.

I absolutely love innova's fairway lineup. I bag the TeeBird and firebird myself, but I used to throw eagles and leopards and they are no slouches either. My buddy throws lat and from trying his stuff, my favorites in that range were river, saint and striker. All the lat discs are faster than the Innova ones.

Depends on what you are looking for. And what plastic you are looking to get it in. I throw DX and champ teebirds. The DX is amazing, I'd get that first. Champion plastic takes a long time to beat in, and they start really OS. Teebirds are great at locking onto the line you throw them on, and they have alot of glide. Eagles have alot more movement, they take turn and fade back reliably for beautiful s-curves. Firebirds are awesome too, they dependably fade hard left and are really great for FH, tomahawks and thumbers too. I would recommend getting a domey one, they are not quite as ridiculously OS and will work into a more throwable disc.

Awesome. I don't think the Stiletto would fit into my game right now. The Destroyer I have is very overstable and needs a lot of anhyzer to make it fly.

I would def check out some Westside discs as well :).

How are Vibram discs, by the way? I didn't know until recently that they were made out of rubber. I guess I am only now catching up to the latest disc golf tech!

^^^ How does the Star Teebird compare to the others? I kinda wanted to try Star plastic. I was looking at a leopard as well.

Thanks for the replies, everyone

Have you ever thought about trying some MVP plastic? The Shock would be a great addition to your bag if you're looking for an overstable, but workable fairway driver.

There's no real understable mid from MVP yet, but I would echo what Kutz mentioned and go with the Star Kite from Innova. It'll give you effortless turnovers and has great glide.

Looks like you need a fairway driver. And there a a bazillion great choices out there. And of course the Teebird is about the best place to start. Some other good choices are the Gazelle, Leopard, River, Cyclone & Stalker.

An excellent understable compliment to the Buzzz is a Meteor.

For drivers try an Xcal very similar to the Destroyer but seems easier to throw. And I can't say enough about a Champion Orc. Goes left, goes right, and goes it goes FAR. I find the Orc to be pretty forgiving for my technique flaws. And you can rip it pretty damn hard and it won't turn and burn.

Another driver you might consider if you have a strong FH or you want to develop one, and that's the Z Flick. Its wickedly overstable but very dependable. The instant it leaves your fingertip you know exactly where its going, good and bad. And although it is one of the most overstable discs you'll find if you work with it long enough it can be pretty flexible for many different lines of attack.

Awesome. I don't think the Stiletto would fit into my game right now. The Destroyer I have is very overstable and needs a lot of anhyzer to make it fly.

I would def check out some Westside discs as well :).

How are Vibram discs, by the way? I didn't know until recently that they were made out of rubber. I guess I am only now catching up to the latest disc golf tech!

^^^ How does the Star Teebird compare to the others? I kinda wanted to try Star plastic. I was looking at a leopard as well.

Thanks for the replies, everyone

Vibram discs are exceptionally consistent from disc to disc and are nearly indestructible. Once they go through an initial beat in period they lock into that stability. They are also easy to get back to form if warped (unlike traditional plastic discs). The softer the rubber, the more durable the disc in general.

There's no real understable mid from MVP yet

True, there might not be a REAL understable mid yet, but on a suggestion from someone in some other thread I flattened a tangent a little bit, and its remarkable. My tangent could definitely turn with some effort before, but flattening it really made it easy.

Have you ever thought about trying some MVP plastic?
I have looked at their discs in the store because they look neat but I didn't know anything about them, same with a lot of these other companies that I am just recently finding out.

And I can't say enough about a Champion Orc. Goes left, goes right, and goes it goes FAR. I find the Orc to be pretty forgiving for my technique flaws. And you can rip it pretty damn hard and it won't turn and burn.
My brother has a Champ Orc and I have thrown it just a few times. I don't think it was very forgiving for my technical flaws! :D I think he has better driving technique and he can rip discs further than I. I could not get the same distance out of this disc, but I have been improving a lot lately.

They are also easy to get back to form if warped (unlike traditional plastic discs).
My brother also has an ESP Comet that got warped somehow from sitting in his bag for an extended period without use. It got wonky and he recently tried to put it back into shape but I don't think it really fixed it. He still throws that thing really straight, though.

Legacy Rival and Patriot are great fairway drivers and the Star Teebird is a good addition to your bag. For a driver I throw a 167 Champ Wraith for my stable dd, a 165 Surge SS for straight dd, and a 167 DX Wraith for understable dd. If you like Discraft discs, the Surge could replace the Wraith. I also use a 175 Pro Wraith for sidearms drives. Good luck in your purchase.