• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills II - Resurrection

I see there's a new confirmation of sale hearing on 11/3 in Ashland so maybe this time it will be sold. From what I hear the last delay was over problems with the deed so I assume that has been resolved. I have no idea what conditions of the sale are but the amount of the foreclosure was 268K so you do the math. It's an upside down money pit that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.:cool:

$268,000 is way too much for the property, is the house nice or was nice at one point?

$268,000 is way too much for the property, is the house nice or was nice at one point?
The honka was a kit house that Roger Juaire bought for JJ so he could generate money through lodging rentals. The story I heard was that JJ took shortcuts and didn't assemble the house properly. Buzzflicker seems to think that the roof has been leaking since it was built and probably continues to leak to this day. It had the potential to be "nice" and I've never been in it, but from what I've heard it's in pretty rough shape and will probably take another six figures to save it. Tear it down and all you have is a 1.5 acre lot costing a quarter million. As an example, Erik Jokinens' lot with the half built cabin on Gold 11 is going for 15K with no takers. It's going to take some deep pockets to save it and I don't know of anyone who would take it on with no thought of a return on their investment for years or possibly decades.

The honka was a kit house that Roger Juaire bought for JJ so he could generate money through lodging rentals. The story I heard was that JJ took shortcuts and didn't assemble the house properly. Buzzflicker seems to think that the roof has been leaking since it was built and probably continues to leak to this day. It had the potential to be "nice" and I've never been in it, but from what I've heard it's in pretty rough shape and will probably take another six figures to save it. Tear it down and all you have is a 1.5 acre lot costing a quarter million. As an example, Erik Jokinens' lot with the half built cabin on Gold 11 is going for 15K with no takers. It's going to take some deep pockets to save it and I don't know of anyone who would take it on with no thought of a return on their investment for years or possibly decades.

I have been in it several times. From the outside, it had tremendous potential because of the lounging decks (plural) face the old Blueberry 3, and from a distance, you could see of the action of Gold.

The hottub was operational only one time we were there. The interior design was a disaster. It seemed that the idea was going to be a compartmentalized layout, allowing separate parties to rent out the place with just a common bathroom and kitchen. The flow was originally a mess, and trying to untangle it just ruined it further. Allowing his friend to live in the basement just added to the overall rundown vibe. Yes, it was better than camping if you did not feel like camping, but not by much. One year I walked away with a fever that took three days to clear - I think it was water poisoning.

I cannot speak for the roof, but the whole thing will need to be gutted, including the external plumbing. It has potential, but as already stated, it will be a money pit that is better if just bulldozed over.

If anything, because of the open sky, it would make the ideal campsite.

I see there's a new confirmation of sale hearing on 11/3 in Ashland so maybe this time it will be sold. From what I hear the last delay was over problems with the deed so I assume that has been resolved. I have no idea what conditions of the sale are but the amount of the foreclosure was 268K so you do the math. It's an upside down money pit that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.:cool:

No chance it is sold for anywhere near that.

If it went to auction they don't have to start at that number.

No chance it is sold for anywhere near that.

If it went to auction they don't have to start at that number.

That number may include JJs house on County C also. I'm told that because of his bankruptcy his primary residence can't be foreclosed on for some reason I don't understand but I'm positive that the house is under water. It's been empty for over a year but it looks like he's been renting out a travel trailer parked in the yard to someone and he also has an amish cabin he probably intends on renting out sitting in his driveway with building materials piled around it. I have no idea how he's hanging on but he can't last much longer so I assume his house will sell at some point, and from what I've heard the house isn't in very good shape either.

That number may include JJs house on County C also. I'm told that because of his bankruptcy his primary residence can't be foreclosed on for some reason I don't understand but I'm positive that the house is under water. It's been empty for over a year but it looks like he's been renting out a travel trailer parked in the yard to someone and he also has an amish cabin he probably intends on renting out sitting in his driveway with building materials piled around it. I have no idea how he's hanging on but he can't last much longer so I assume his house will sell at some point, and from what I've heard the house isn't in very good shape either.

Bankruptcy protects your primary residence.

I played the new Blueberry Hill layout yesterday, I think everyone is gonna like it. #2 is now #1 and #17 is now #18, with three new holes added (a par 3,4 and 5). Just a warning, old #5 may be changed due to property issues, again, so stay tuned. It was a beautiful week on the hill, I wish I could have stayed a little longer. Look for new Gold and Bear holes next year along with new camping opportunities.:thmbup:

Is Highbridge open and playable this week? Other than this thread, I don't know how to look up info. I have long-awaited time off this week. My other plans fell through, maybe this should be my new plan.

Is Highbridge open and playable this week? Other than this thread, I don't know how to look up info. I have long-awaited time off this week. My other plans fell through, maybe this should be my new plan.
HH is always open. If you can't make it up the driveway you can park on Mile Rd. and walk in but I don't think there's much snow up there yet. What little snow there is will probably melt today and tomorrow.:thmbup:

The Wisconsin Tour schedule is out along with the Highbridge Hills tournament list, looks like we'll have a busy spring.
Here's the HH schedule:
April 24-Woodland Greens Shootout
May 8-Womens' Global Event
May 22-Granite Ridge Open
June 12-13-Chequamegon Challenge
June 26-Don't Poke The Bear
July 24-Blueberry Hill Open
July 27-Travel Day Tourism Open
August 28-Highbridge Hills Gold Open
September 10-Highbridge Hills Open flex start
September 11-12-Highbridge Hills Open
October 9-Highbridge Fall Classic

It's good to see Steve Kuzenski and Disc Golf 365 running events again, that's definitely a bonus for the tour. Now let's get rid of this covid crap so we can have decent tour next year.

Highbridge Hills 2021

We're really excited about the upcoming season on the hill. This years forecast is for another epic year of fun, growth, and positive change for us.

First of all, none of this would be possible without the support of everyone who visited us, stayed with us, played our courses, entered our events, shopped in our Pro Shop, and experienced what a special place the hill is. Thank you all so very much. You're the reason we do it, and we couldn't do it without you. Thank you.

Now, back to 2021:

Tournament schedule is filling out nicely!

Plans and preparations for our 2nd annual live music and disc golf festival are shaping up nicely.

Grand opening of the new Blueberry Hill layout, and the new holes.

Installing a temporary 9 hole layout to make Gold an 18 hole course again. Phase 1 of the 3 phase plan for Gold.

Completion of Chestnut Grove, our disc golf learning course. It will also be our dedicated night glow course. This course will be FREE for the public to play.

Install The Playground Tiki Course. This is going to be our version of disc golf mini-golf. Great fun for all!

Several Infrastructure and campground improvement projects are planned. Hopefully breaking ground on our new shower house and rental cabins
New management staff additions (teaser, more to come soon)

So yeah, can you see why we are so excited about 2021, and are looking forward to another great year? Looking forward to seeing all of you again on the hill.

Can't wait to get back up there. I'm excited to hear about Chestnut coming back. Loved playing glow rounds under the stars back in the day.

Also can't wait to see the new Blueberry layout. That's always been my favorite.

Oh, and showers would be amazing. I start smelling pretty ripe by day 3. 😁

I've been reading about some changes and improvements on The Bear. Really excited to see and play it soon. Looks like hole 11 was rerouted to include the pond off of Granite 6 and 7? Is Bear 11 set up that way now, or did I see that incorrectly on Facebook?

HBH is looking amazing, as is usual nowadays. I only played Bear and Granite, but Bear gets a bit cleaner and more open every time I play. Granite we played shorts as respite and ran aces. I love 2 baskets on it, and there were a couple new spots Id not seen.

Got a new best on Bear with a 78. Lost it at the end with a bad 5 on 17 and my 2nd 6 on 18. But played a few holes better than I ever had. I now know the right fairway on 3 is far superior for rhbh. Killed a leopard down there a bit too far actually, awkward stretch anny for the up from the edge of the woods, missed my 35 ft 3 putt. And I was in the circle in 3 on hole 4 for the first time I believe. Again, missed the putt. Then I finally hit the drive on 11. Got a Tursas around the corner, ended up right side of the fairway. Hit a tree on the up but saved the 30 ft par.

I stopped back last weekend after hitting up the Boundary Waters area in MN to play Gold and BB.

BB is changing some, for the better, imo. Old 1 and 18 are no more, which is great. I always thought 1 seemed out of place, and 18 playing down the hill that you have to just walk right back up was weird. In place of those 2, and old 8 (which has been gone for a while), there are 3 brand spankin new holes. First plays old 8 backwards and is 600'+ through the woods. Next one is 300ish and uphill in the woods, final one is a little ace run shorty.

Mach 7s on long spots, and then most holes have either a short pin or tee, some have both. These are purple dynamic baskets. Im always for courses having options, so I hope the plan eventually is short tees and pins on em all.

Gold is currently 15 holes, with 6 of them being new holes all on old 8. Itd be super easy to play old 8 still and make up 2 more holes for a full 18. New holes are fun, but nothing special. Anyone know what the long term plan for Gold is? How many holes on 9-18 are problematic right now? Pretty sure I saw 15 and 16s pins still in, so I imagine the issue is some property in the 10-14 section? Like that hole that always had the dead car on the left of the fairway?

The 6 holes on old Gold 8 are temps and not the eventual setup through that area which is still TBD. The old 14-15 area, not exactly those holes, will eventually be reopened with some new temp holes in the next transition. Point being, Gold is in transition for the next 2-3 years while retaining the core 1-7, 17-18. Alt baskets and a few more white tees will be added on these holes, possibly within the next year, so you can play 18 different holes on the 1-7, 17, 18 track.

BB has two more long pin placements (17,18) completed in this past week to get ready for the HHO this weekend that were not ready for the event two weeks ago. The purple band portable Recruits will be replaced with permanent Discatchers with a purple sponsor band as Mountain Man gets the time. Once the alternate tees get installed, we'll have layouts covering five skill levels.

I liked the changes I saw earlier this summer when I was up there. The only two things that I see that really need worked on are replacing the deteriorating tees and tee-signs. The multiple baskets on the courses is nice although I kind of wish the shorter baskets were not in the fairways. I chained out on Granite Ridge hole 6 short basket on what what I thought was a great shot going for the long basket...did make my up and down for a three...