• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills II - Resurrection

LOL! You beat me to it.

Our Covid-canceled trip for 2020 included a day at Highbridge Hills and a day on a boat among the Apostle Islands. I sure hope we can manage to reschedule - those are two places I really want to visit.

Never made the trip to Highbridge. Which is terrible because it's only a 3 hour drive.

I can definitely vouch for the Islands tho. Been up around the Bayfield area quite often. The sunset island tour out of Bayfield was really cool. So much neat stuff up there!!

Really enjoyed my trip up to Highbridge a few weeks back. Only played Blueberry and Woodland, but really enjoyed both. Was kind of expecting Woodland to be somewhat of an afterthought, but instead found a quality, old-school, wooded, par 3 experience.

Blueberry was awesome. I played long to long and the kids and wife just played whichever combo seemed best on each hole. New tubular signs were in place and they do the job. Blueberry 13, with the ponds not visible from the tee, was one of the only holes I needed to scout ahead on. New holes are rough, but will be nice when they wear in. After the drive on the new par 5, I thought I had set myself up well, but proceeded to nail the storm shelter on the right side of the fairway and take a 7. Only real gripe with BB would be with the long walks between holes in the areas that were rerouted.

Flying bugs were practically non-existent which was a pleasant surprise.

Can't wait to get back up there to play the rest of the courses and take another swing at BB.

17 hour drive for me, and I made the trip.

Just sayin' :p

Right. I know. I was kind of waiting till I got a little "better" before going up there, as to not get my @ss totally handed to me. But. I don't think that's an excuse any more. Not cuz I'm better....it's cuz I know what I am as a player and don't care haha.

*Maybe* this fall.

My brother in law is going to school in Ashland. Might buy me an excuse to go up!

Right. I know. I was kind of waiting till I got a little "better" before going up there, as to not get my @ss totally handed to me. But. I don't think that's an excuse any more. Not cuz I'm better....it's cuz I know what I am as a player and don't care haha.

*Maybe* this fall.

I think you will have fun, I certainly did.

My brother in law is going to school in Ashland. Might buy me an excuse to go up!

Sounds like an excellent excuse!

Okay while we are on the subject:

Say a guy had a day to play Highbridge, what courses do I play?

I would've said Blueberry first, but I haven't played it since last year. Bear is a beast. Long, wooded golf. Granite ridge is more open in comparison, but lots of elevation and still plenty of wooded holes. Woodland is the only one you'll have a chance at under par. Those are the 3 I'd play if I had just a day. In that order.

Okay while we are on the subject:

Say a guy had a day to play Highbridge, what courses do I play?

Based on your post mentioning your aren't quite a pro-level player, I'd go with Granite Ridge long tee to short baskets (very fun, fairly open with lots of elevation) and Woodland Greens (very fun, short, wooded, with lots of birdie opportunities) for sure. If you have time and stamina, the 9 holes that currently make up Gold are beautiful and a decent mix of open and wooded. Navigating from #7 to #17 was confusing for my brother and I (we wound up playing a couple extra holes along the way) but aside from that, it was also a fun track.

Playing Bear solo has a real chance to lose a disc or two and Blueberry is similar to Granite Ridge but has a few rough holes that are new this year and need to be worn in a bit. You might also warm-up on Chestnut which is right next to the parking area and is a pitch-and-putt type course.

The colors should be peaking right now, so make the trip!

Last edited:
The colors should be peaking right now, so make the trip!

I've actually been to Highbridge Hills (Pro Worlds 2007) and I realize that it is extreme northern Wisconsin, but I just can't believe your statement that the fall foliage is peaking on Sept. 16th.

In fact, I worked the Green Mountain Championships DGPT event last weekend in extreme northern Vermont which is about the same latitude but also higher elevation…and there wasn't even a hint of fall colors yet there.

I think your intentions are good, but I really think you are jumping the gun.

I've actually been to Highbridge Hills (Pro Worlds 2007) and I realize that it is extreme northern Wisconsin, but I just can't believe your statement that the fall foliage is peaking on Sept. 16th.

In fact, I worked the Green Mountain Championships DGPT event last weekend in extreme northern Vermont which is about the same latitude but also higher elevation…and there wasn't even a hint of fall colors yet there.

Hmmmm....I think there is a bit more to color peaks than latitude. Upper Michigan is also slated to peak in about a week or so.

Definitely "patchy" color already underway within the past several days up at Highbridge.

Two trees across the street here started turning already! :eek:

If I have one day at Highbridge, I'm playing Blueberry/Granite, and then whatever else I have time for.

It used to be Blueberry/Granite/Gold, without exception. But now I'd probably try to slide Bear in there, time permitting.

Blueberry has been consensus favorite of new people I bring. Granite is epic, blueberry is straight up fun.

I really want to get a cabin for a few days and play all 5 current courses + some night golf.

I'm three hours south of Highbridge, and we are turning pretty solid here.

Latest posts