• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Thanks for the info and opinions. I'm really feeling Highbridge and am pretty set on it at this point. I considered the area around Flip City and Sabattus, ME as well. Going to find a cabin on a lake thats not too far away. DG in the morning and early afternoon, fishing in the evening, maybe some hiking. Will be following this thread.

Thanks for the info and opinions. I'm really feeling Highbridge and am pretty set on it at this point. I considered the area around Flip City and Sabattus, ME as well. Going to find a cabin on a lake thats not too far away. DG in the morning and early afternoon, fishing in the evening, maybe some hiking. Will be following this thread.

I've played all of those areas. Sabattus is a pristine complex beautifully taken care of, and I can't wait to see the women's championships there. That said, it's not on the level of Highbridge. None of the courses there measures up to Blueberry, Gold, or Granite Ridge. And I loved the day I spent there.

Played Flip City but didn't get to play the area around it.

Conifer/Pine/Bailey is the only area I've played that could compete with Highbridge. I've daydreamed - a lot - about which one I loved more. Very tough call.

I've played all of those areas. Sabattus is a pristine complex beautifully taken care of, and I can't wait to see the women's championships there. That said, it's not on the level of Highbridge. None of the courses there measures up to Blueberry, Gold, or Granite Ridge. And I loved the day I spent there.

Played Flip City but didn't get to play the area around it.

Conifer/Pine/Bailey is the only area I've played that could compete with Highbridge. I've daydreamed - a lot - about which one I loved more. Very tough call.

I'm really feeling good about heading to Highbridge now. Love Conifer / Pine, especially Bucksnort, but they were all great. If it's a tough call between the two areas I know I'm headed to the right place.

Ive played Conifer and Highbridge as well as other former Worlds sites like Lemon Lake and the Twin Cities coures, and the proximity and quality of the courses at Highbridge is hard to beat. The lodging is not a 5 star resort, but its amazing how much John does by himself, and honestly what other complex with so many courses has camping and cabins within walking distance?

John is a little scattered, and not a slick salesman, but is a good guy with plenty of enthusiasm. Its clear highbridge is a labor of love for him, so I was glad to pay the more than reasonable rates for camping, firewood, p2p fee, and buy discs from the shop when i was there to support the business. Camping on-site we got the full highbridge experience, as John stopped by to bring more firewood and share stories most nights

The courses themselves are great. you will not be disappointed. When I played there, only the first 7 holes of the Bear had been carved out, and Whitetail and the back nine of Chestnut were still just goals John talked about for the future.

Of all the former ball-golf courses I've played DG on, highbridge does it the best, using not just the old fairways, but with so many holes carved out of the woods, its hard to tell it was even a ball golf course.

I highly recommend experiencing St. Peters Dome, it's between Highbridge and Ashland. One of the most rewarding hikes a person can make :)

If you have an entire extra day, Monte du Lac is extraordinary in fun/beatdown factor.

Highbridge alone, is 3 days of DG fun. Pure DG fun :D

Monte du Lac starts out on the face of the ski hill, some big shots to tricky pin positions. Some Eagle holes have changed due to Cabin development, so I'm not sure about hole number orders, but once on top you switch over to the Cedar course. That's when things get extraordinary! Creeks, Ravines, and a real fun time (and a beat down) :p Finishing Cedar brings you back to the top of the ski hill, where you again have to execute bigger shots, where accuracy is important. Then! at the bottom is a pond with 2 water carry holes :D

Monte du Lac starts out on the face of the ski hill, some big shots to tricky pin positions. Some Eagle holes have changed due to Cabin development, so I'm not sure about hole number orders, but once on top you switch over to the Cedar course. That's when things get extraordinary! Creeks, Ravines, and a real fun time (and a beat down) :p Finishing Cedar brings you back to the top of the ski hill, where you again have to execute bigger shots, where accuracy is important. Then! at the bottom is a pond with 2 water carry holes :D

Some of the neat holes on Eagle's Peak were taken out of one side of the ski hill, but some new holes were added on to the opposite side in the woods, including a monstrously hard but beautiful 600-700 foot shot winding through the woods. Probably a tough par 4 or maybe even a par 5.

Just played White Cedar today and it was beautiful as always.

The Frozen North

This thread is still going! Keep on rockin in the free world. Peace to Dilly McGilly and C.M.A.S...

Havent been on the thread for awhile due to winter, but Im really looking forward to this season.

A dg friend texted me and said it was beautiful out there this weekend already, I was sad I couldnt make it cause it was really nice weather wise.

But yes I am continuing making signage for the courses, Granite is up next, then Gold, and I'll update the progress on them.

I know nothing about whether Abby will actually be there this season, I guess we'll find out. If so I just hope things can go smoothly.

If anybodys taking trips up here, I would love to meet up and play a round or two with you guys. I suppose I could be called a local (only 1/2 hour away), so Ill be there a lot. Hit me up with some PM's before your trip if your down, Im all for meeting and playing dg with new people.

Just an update, Granite Ridge Course's signs will be finished tomorrow - they may or may not be installed Saturday, if not, they'll be in next weekend for sure. Just gotta make sure the old sign bases are all still present on the course now.

Havent been on the thread for awhile due to winter, but Im really looking forward to this season.

A dg friend texted me and said it was beautiful out there this weekend already, I was sad I couldnt make it cause it was really nice weather wise.

But yes I am continuing making signage for the courses, Granite is up next, then Gold, and I'll update the progress on them.

I know nothing about whether Abby will actually be there this season, I guess we'll find out. If so I just hope things can go smoothly.

If anybodys taking trips up here, I would love to meet up and play a round or two with you guys. I suppose I could be called a local (only 1/2 hour away), so Ill be there a lot. Hit me up with some PM's before your trip if your down, Im all for meeting and playing dg with new people.

I am looking at a mid-week trip some time in early to mid June. My normal group is going up for a weekend in Mid-July and taking over the Honka. This is a bi-annual trip for us, but usually in August. With the move to July, the weekend falls during the closing of Am Worlds. If I do not make the cut, I may miss our Friday's round but should arrive late that evening so I can continue playing all weekend. If I do make the cut, despite being so close to Highbridge, I may just head home because I would only make our closing round on Sunday before everyone else heads home. Whatever I choose to do, I am joining my son at Many Point Scout Camp that Sunday night or Monday morning, and that is about seven hours from Highbridge.

So, since I will not know if I can make our road trip, I am thinking of just heading out there myself during the week in June. Since I would likely be there only with my son, we would probably be camping.

Just an update, Granite Ridge Course's signs will be finished tomorrow - they may or may not be installed Saturday, if not, they'll be in next weekend for sure. Just gotta make sure the old sign bases are all still present on the course now.

You, sir, cannot be thanked enough for these signs. I thought it was one thing that was much needed last time I was there.

It's a long way out but our group is going to be heading up I believe September 24th weekend. We usually go up Thursday thru Sunday or something like that, but yea I will maybe PM you at when time comes closer and hopefully get a round or two in with you.

Have a group of 4 shooting for mid-May at Highbridge. Couple questions.

We plan on staying in Ashland just due to being old guys that want showers, restaurant dinner and comfy beds after a brutal DG beat down. Are we completely missing out on the Highbridge experience by not staying on site? Honka house seems like we could have unwanted company and we definitely don't feel like camping.

I know maintenance can be spotty but would you guys expect the courses to be in decent condition in early May? Will the bugs/ticks be out at that point?

I'm in the same group smarkquardt is talking about. We will be up there July 15-17th. I might even drive up on the 14th just to get set up and be able to play a round Friday morning instead of driving. If you can make it to join us for a round or a day, feel free. I'll even set aside a couple beers for you.

Have a group of 4 shooting for mid-May at Highbridge. Couple questions.

We plan on staying in Ashland just due to being old guys that want showers, restaurant dinner and comfy beds after a brutal DG beat down. Are we completely missing out on the Highbridge experience by not staying on site? Honka house seems like we could have unwanted company and we definitely don't feel like camping.

I know maintenance can be spotty but would you guys expect the courses to be in decent condition in early May? Will the bugs/ticks be out at that point?

I played in the middle of May a couple of years ago. It was a wet spring so some of the areas on the fairways had to be skipped with the mower so as not to mess up the course. Overall though the courses looked great. I didn't have any issues with bugs. I didn't use bug spray and not a single tick.

Latest posts