• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade basket!!! oh yeah!!

mmyersdisc

Double Eagle Member
Well, took me about 1 1/2 weeks worth of lunch breaks of me not eating (lol) and $30 in 1/4 round stock, 29.99 in chain, few bucks in paint and the pole and base were giving to me (table legs and shaft)...anyways on with the pictures!! This was my third time welding so its not perfect...

picture.php

My teepad..lol

picture.php

The mini-200ft hole in my backyard!

picture.php

the basket!!!!

picture.php

close up of how I attached it...

i like it. i will be posting pics of my basket, modeled after the discatcher here shortly. i like how you connected the chains up top. i think i am going to change mine to that.

Looks sweet. I can't wait til I get to build one, or maybe I'll buy one....hmmm.

i like it. i will be posting pics of my basket, modeled after the discatcher here shortly. i like how you connected the chains up top. i think i am going to change mine to that.

yeah I just used eye hooks and then stuck S hooks around the chain....as for the post to the top...I welded a peice of steel to the pipe and then just put 4 bolts around the top....I had to put washers on one side becuase I cut the pipe crooked hehe...

That's a nice basket. What kind of welder did you use, and how much do they cost?

It was my shops welder, can't remeber the brand of it but its blue....didn't have to buy any of the welding wire either....thanks boss :)

Ok, so is welding your profession? Could a Harry Homeowner like me do that, if I could buy/get the equipment? I see mig and arc welders on craigslist from time to time, not sure of the difference between them. Always thought of making a basket, like the professional look of your welded basket a lot, wondering how hard that would be. Thanks.

yeah it wasa MIG Miller welder....I have a video of it posted up for how it catches...catches decent so far...only a few blow throughs so far...and its not a music stand its a table leg...like those little round tables you see at banquet halls? My buddy works at a rental place and...hooked me up :)

well its not my profession at all...I am a mechanic/shop lacky (only 21 so havn't been in it that long) and it was my third time welding...if your gonna use the 1/4 round stock though (you can buy it at menards, lowes, home depot whatever you have around you) I would suggest you have a vice/something round to form your circles...the way I FIRST did it wasn't very productive...The easiest way to make the circles is get something about 24-26" diameter....have about 5 pairs of vice grips....clamp on one end of the rod, use a torch and heat it so it bends and slowly heat/bend the peice around the round (whatever your using...I used a big underground pipe that we had a peice of laying around the shop) and vice grip it as you go and hit it with a hammer to keep it flush against the peice....that will give you all the same shape or should..so yours doesn't turned out like **** like mine did lol....anymore questions on how I did it just ask!

For those who don't have the welding skills/access to a torch I recommend an epoxy "cold weld" for steel called "JB Weld". This stuff is great, I found it while creating my basket (I will post pics soon)

One question about the basket. I see that you put in some vertical pieces of round bar around the lower gaps (area between main supports) of your basket but not the top "windows". Can discs fit through the gaps at the top? just asking because that was a hurdle that I had to deal with when making my basket.

Nice job, I am sure your game will be the main benefactor of your new toy.

With those table legs, they look kinda short does your basket tip over on you?