• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

They are pretty heavy duty, like maybe from some industrial type fans.

So do they have a pretty large stock of these right now? I probably wouldn't use them for the chain assembly, but if I could get 9 of these for baskets it would be worth checking out.

I actually looked into using fan guards like these before, but didn't know where to get them (ordering bulk from Chinese manufacturers had 500 piece min.)

that kind of chain tears up discs . go with the regular link chain small or large is fine . the quickest easy cheapest way to add chain hangers is to buy that split link chain for hanging plants . i prefer this over s hooks for ease of building and taking apart for changes . easy to open and close with pliers/channel locks.3 or 4 " book binder rings make perfect hoop for chain at bottom..bolt cutters for about..under 20$ i think..cut your own chain trust noone ! recycle when you can . makes it unique .

and if you use zip ties zip em' tight ;-) . course any basket is better than no basket if it will catch . no matter how ugly . remember . the shot doesn't have to look pretty it just has to go in .

yeh fan guards are perfect in a manner of speaking having an open view bottom always beats a bowl as far as staying close to "normal" look of the target . the 100$ instep is the best bargain on the planet if you don't have space/time/tools to build with...heck, you can't build a comparable basket without welding for under 60$ in materials alone . that's like paying 40$ for the build . bargain . the only really cheap way is to get lucky with recycled materials.yard sales etc..retail items no matter how cheap are gonna add up.

So do they have a pretty large stock of these right now? I probably wouldn't use them for the chain assembly, but if I could get 9 of these for baskets it would be worth checking out.

I think I saw maybe 20 max. ( enough for 10 baskets). I don't know if it's a 1-time deal, or if there is access to more.

The store is Spinski's in Grand Rapids if you wanna check it out.

Here is my first home made disc basket. Made 100% out of skis. Cant wait to start another.
imgp1936large.jpg

imgp1938large.jpg

Wow thats an expensive basket, I am sure it is all just recycled materials from old skis but if you had to cut up skis to make this that was a $1000 basket!

Here is my first home made disc basket. Made 100% out of skis. Cant wait to start another.
imgp1936large.jpg

imgp1938large.jpg

I don't think that the chains are made out of skis. :p Sorry about that. I can't believe someone didn't already say that.

Seriously, though, that is brilliant! What a great way to recycle, what I assume would otherwise be, trash. Great work. :clap:

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I work at a ski resort and people abandon their old skis all the time. So I have well over 100 pairs of old straight skis. Its even screwed together with ski binding mounting screws. But yeah, chains didn't come off skis, lol.

It catches very well, uless you mange to get a disc threw the chains right where the square edge of the center post is. Then you get a little bounce back.

Still can't get used to the sound though, it misses that nice metal on metal "ching" sound.

Next up is a basket made out of snowboards boards, one out of all bike parts, one out of a wine barrel, and one made out of wood. My goal is a full 9 hole course by the end of summer. My house backs to Tahoe National Forrest land so my course has unlimited space, they will all be legit par 5's.

Next up is a basket made out of snowboards boards, one out of all bike parts, one out of a wine barrel, and one made out of wood. My goal is a full 9 hole course by the end of summer. My house backs to Tahoe National Forrest land so my course has unlimited space, they will all be legit par 5's.

This whole plan is awesome! I really hope you're successful with all of it.

killer basket! i've always wanted to play on a hanger!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I work at a ski resort and people abandon their old skis all the time. So I have well over 100 pairs of old straight skis. Its even screwed together with ski binding mounting screws. But yeah, chains didn't come off skis, lol.

It catches very well, uless you mange to get a disc threw the chains right where the square edge of the center post is. Then you get a little bounce back.

Still can't get used to the sound though, it misses that nice metal on metal "ching" sound.

:clap: What an ingenious use of unwanted materials. I really like it. Have you thought about maybe making a band for the top? It could be made in the same fashion as the upper perimeter of the basket. you could fasten the band to the existing cross members using small metal L brackets. I think that would be the ultimate touch to polish off your creation.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your future creations. I've thought about a wine barrel basket as well. I thought an old wooden wagon wheel for the top would compliment a wine barrel basket really well.