• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

It's official, I'm making one of those PVC ones.

The hardest part of the project was getting the measurements correct. For the top section each of the 8 sides are 3" long and for the basket each of the sides is around 4" long.

I used 3 sections of 3/4" pvc pipe, 1 section of 1 1/2" pvc pipe, 24 90* angle pieces, around 36 T pieces (you can buy them in 10 packs), a 1 1/2"- 1 1/2" coupler (so that it can be taken apart for easy transport).

The very top of the basket is a 1 1/2" - 3 or 4" adapter, which I just measured around the circumference and then divided by 8 to give me the distance between each hole. To drill the holes into the pvc I used a spade bit, I forget the exact size that I used but I can look.

For the base I used 3 T sections, there were some that were cheaper than the others.

I will try to write up some more details about it and get some more detailed photos for whom ever else wants to try creating this. I am even working on getting a video of the basket in action (as requested).

The hardest part of the project was getting the measurements correct. For the top section each of the 8 sides are 3" long and for the basket each of the sides is around 4" long.

I used 3 sections of 3/4" pvc pipe, 1 section of 1 1/2" pvc pipe, 24 90* angle pieces, around 36 T pieces (you can buy them in 10 packs), a 1 1/2"- 1 1/2" coupler (so that it can be taken apart for easy transport).

The very top of the basket is a 1 1/2" - 3 or 4" adapter, which I just measured around the circumference and then divided by 8 to give me the distance between each hole. To drill the holes into the pvc I used a spade bit, I forget the exact size that I used but I can look.

For the base I used 3 T sections, there were some that were cheaper than the others.

I will try to write up some more details about it and get some more detailed photos for whom ever else wants to try creating this. I am even working on getting a video of the basket in action (as requested).

This would be awesome!! I'm thinking of combining your shell, with another guy's "chains" to make it quiet as I plan on using this during the winter in the basement! :D

Mine

I watched a few videos on youtube, and came up with this conglomeration of ideas.
plastic coated aluminum wire from Lowes
1stbuildhomedgportablecloseundertop.jpg

first hole, second basket built
drove 2 foot length of heavy galvanized pipe in ground, put approx. five foot
1 inch (inside diameter) conduit into ground pipe, slid 18 inch piece of pvc over conduit, slid on basket (cut from top of 55 gal. plastic drum that I bought 8 of at $12.50 each delivered), slid on 21 inch pvc pipe, put on top (another 55 gal barrel top) capped unit with conduit connector with a plastic cap electrical taped to the top of connector.
hole1approachview.jpg

close up of basket
hole1secondbuiltbasket.jpg

first basket built. I used the bottom of the 55 gallon drum for the basket,
but it did not have the heavy rim that the top had, so it warped some what from being out in the sun. My portable version with rolling office chair bottom.
firstbasketflullview.jpg

Mine part 2

Top of my basket showing how the wire for chains is twisted.
My earlier design had a single hole with ends of aluminum wire bent over,
but they kept working loose, and didn't have the give for shock absorption that the newest design has. Second try used cable ties, but the chain didn't slide as readily as it does on the plastic coated wire, plus I don't think they would last as long. I used a cable tie (125 lb) for the bottom of the chains
around the pole.
homedgportableclosetop.jpg

Last edited:
Go Bucks!

Here is mine after being left outside for 1 year.

Attachments

• Photo-0056_cr.jpg
    Photo-0056_cr.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 237
02193249-8DDA-43EB-B128-E491CCBBE768-81421-00006FBA001B0CAA.jpg

Built this out of a 55gal drum(basket and belt), old fan stand, 3/4" UHMW(top) and a piece of electrical conduit. Only had to buy the outer chains ($40). Wrapped the pole with pipe insulation so the neighbors wouldn't complain about the noise.

Portable Disc Catcher

I made this catcher out of PVC, Plywood, and Left over metal from shelving that i hammered into the round shape for the basket and top. It all breaks down to be portable using a rolling book bag for easy transport.

Attachments

• Finished Catcher.jpg
    Finished Catcher.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Portable Catcher.jpg
    Portable Catcher.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Top view portable.jpg
    Top view portable.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 85
More shots or Portable Catcher

Some more photos of my catcher.

Attachments

• Catcher with Discs.jpg
    Catcher with Discs.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Inside view portable.jpg
    Inside view portable.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Back View of Roller.jpg
    Back View of Roller.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 48
The original design

Took a couple of different designs before I got the look and functionality i was looking for.

Attachments

• top templete.jpg
    top templete.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 102
  • mock up.jpg
    mock up.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 118
  • original design.jpg
    original design.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 201
Choosing the right deisign

Finally came up with a functional design that was portable and was to PDGA standards to practice with.

Attachments

• finalizing the design.jpg
    finalizing the design.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 191
  • debating on color.jpg
    debating on color.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 101
  • copper chains.jpg
    copper chains.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 99
creative home basket pics

looking through the cool pic post i saw a sweet homemade basket. it was comprised of two bike rims with chains. id like to see what other people were using to make baskets or tones. no matter how cheap or qhetto, they get you throwing and a new course going. so to start off, heres one i recently made.
IMG_20120922_160418_zps462963e0.jpg

5 gal bucket lid some twine, cedar shims and wire band. this pole and basket were existing and someone stole the chains. so this was a patch job

I have a tree stump in the front yard that splits into two, I usually toss discs at the top of the it. I've been meaning to build a basket and cement it inbetween the split of the tree. I think it'd be awesome.

the first course me and a buddy set up was just survey tape wrapped around a tree. two bands about foot apart... hit in between the bands

Latest posts