• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you get started?

dmbrun2

Eagle Member
Whats the story behind you starting disc golf? Where'd you start, what was your first disc, when did you know you were addicted?

my friend and i were on mission trip, thats when i found out he disc golfed in the first place. we went to OSU for my first game, then to blendon woods, later that week i went to disc golf mart and got myself a pro valkyrie, dx teebird, and dx aviar. i knew i was addicted when i saw all the discs at the store

First time I played was at a small 9 hole course on a university's campus. The following year the guys I lived with all played and finally bought a DX Stingray, Archangel, and Polecat. Addicted ever since.

During grad school, the teacher I observed (jayman33) asked me to play Ellison park, I then started playing with his friends every weekend. I went to 14 different courses with them and I became obsesed with checking new courses.

Circa 1975 I got a copy of this book:

picture.php

In it was a description for Frisbee (Disc) golf. We started creating our own object courses and playing with discs like this:

picture.php

I also joined this:

picture.php

And thats how I met a couple of old timers in the Illinois Frisbee Assn. that told us about the course in Joliet (West Park) opening up in 1979. I was addicted right away. I had already been collecting discs and playing mostly freestyle before I found disc golf.

This was the first golf specific disc that I got:

picture.php

My non disc golfing cousin found a Champ Sidewinder and gave it to me because she didn't want to take it on the rest of her walk. I learned that disc very well. It started out over stable then beat to lazer beam straight and now it is to flippy so it is hanging on the wall. Some day I will take it down and get an ace just to say I got an ace with my first disc.

A buddy of mine took me to Schenley Park. He only had a few discs & told me to pick one. I picked the Reaper. Not a good choice to say the least. It took me almost 2 rounds before I had that " AH HA" throw. I picked up a starter kit about a week later, and fell in love with the Leopard & Aviar! Been hooked ever since.

I played once when I lived in Humboldt with no guidance or idea what I was doing. Met a guy at work my first winter in Tahoe and he asked me if I'd ever played disc golf. I said once.... he said lets go play after work(in the snow). I was hooked! He ended up becoming my best friend and my dg mentor. I still remember the first time I finally beat him. Now we're neck and neck.

A buddy of mine in college said "you are gonna come play disc golf with us." So we went to the course where he handed me a champ boss :wall: a squall, and a putter aviar most likely and we played. I enjoyed it bought my own discs monarch, wolf, aviar (none of which i throw now) and kept playing

There was a straight guy I was chasing and he wanted to play one day and I did and had fun... yeah got the guy too....

We started out throwing frisbees playing toss and catch. The game was, how far apart could we get and still catch the disc without moving.

Then, the game turned into how hard you could rip a disc at the other guy, and make him flinch when he caught it.

Soon, we got bored, and looked for other things to hit, like trees, garbage cans, and lamp poles. We made up the course as we went.

I moved to LA just around the time Ed stuck some baskets in Oak Grove.
It only got better from there. :)

Very early 80s - had never heard of or seen disc golf when we lived in Detroit. We then moved to OKC and Will Rogers Park was right down the street from us. We bought Frisbees for the entire family and went and played. We all picked out different Wham-o molds. The family played a lot while we lived there and I played off and on for the next 20 years before 'really getting into it' about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
In 98 when I got out of the Navy, my best friend was living in some apartments mostly inhabited by UNCC students. He had been introduced to it and hooked from the beginning. He gave me a Wolf and a DX Valkyrie and we played Reedy Creek. The next week, I called him begging to go again and been hooked ever since.

My 7th grade civics teacher Ms. Weidle was ranked like 9th or so in the world at one point. She showed the class a video of her playing disc golf and I was like ehhh. Then when I was at Dick's I bought the started pack and just kept playing.

The pizza place I bartended at in college had a weird "floor/kitchen" vibe in that all of us that worked the floor were college kids and all the kitchen and delivery drivers were townies. The townies invited some of us to "hang out" one day and we ended up going to the pool at Albert Oakland. A few of us went to "frolf" at some point. I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever wasted an afternoon doing.

A little later I ended up on a dumb trip to Kansas City where we went really early in the morning to get line tickets for a Who concert and stayed for a Royals game, so we had hours and hours to kill. We were driving around Swope park when my buddy noticed some "weird B-B-Q grills." The discs I bought from the first disc golf trip were in my trunk, so we got out and played. It was still dumb, but it wasted some time and it was free.

For the next five or six years, disc golf was a "I'm so bored I'm going to slip into a coma but I'm broke" fallback activity.

At some point I was in a job interview at a parks department and they asked me about disc golf since they had a course. I B.S.ed like I was a player. They hired me.

At that point I was in charge of running events for a bunch of disc golfers who I quickly learned were going to show me no human decency unless I could B.S. them into thinking I was a player as well. So I started playing out of self-defense, but just enough to keep the ruse going since I still thought it was dumb-dumb-dumb.

I had that job for five or six years. I pretended to be a disc golfer for so long that somewhere along the line I accidentally became a disc golfer. Now I play mostly for the social element, because 20 some-odd years later I still find the game to be pretty dumb. I'm still waiting for that "I love this game" moment.

wow 3P, wow. i love every story you tell.

I had known about disc golf for years. A couple of my friends had been playing but I never got an invite. Then about 3 1/2 years ago a coworker's son from Cali started him and he then asked me to play. First went to PIAS and bought 3 discs. Champ Leopard, MS Aurora and a P&A Aviar. First round was at Zilker Park in Austin. Hooked ever since.

Latest posts