• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you get started?

My father-in-law played - he explained to me that it's "cheaper than ball golf, with the same frustration & fun" - he bought my wife a starter pack for her birthday last March so they could spend some time together. She was addicted after 1 round, and begged me to go play for the next 3 weeks. I teased her about being a hippie, but finally agreed to go. By the end of the round, it was already decided I needed to get a starter pack & bag (Valk, Shark & Aviar, I think). I was probably addicted by the turn (White Clay Park, DE).

Now we argue over who's turn it is to sneak out for a round, play in most of the local tourney's, joined the PDGA, and play "HORSE" in the backyard with the practice basket she bought me for Father's Day... Packed travel discs for our vacation to Austin "just in case" the opportunity arose (it did - more than once), and will probably take a "dg" specific vacation for our 10 year anniversary (if not before).

The best part of the addiction is watching my 2 yr old son throw rollers in the backyard, and my 5 yr old daughter practice her "x-step" when we're out for "family rounds".

A couple of guys in my Sunday School class invited me to play, I didn't want to use the little discs they had, since none of them play very often, so I bought the Innova starter pack. I thought it was fun, so I played again later. I was hooked then. Now I play more than all of them and am teaching them what I know!

I played football through HS, and my senior year a bunch of my friends were trying to put together a school team for ultimate. Being the athletic kid I am I was a natural at it, being able to outrun everyone and out jump them also. A bunch of my teammates brought me to a course one day to play. I thought it was alright. I decided to go along a second time and that was when I was hooked. And then I found $20. (to make my lame story a little better.)

I was out helping a friend with a job and on the way home he asked if I wanted to play some Disc Golf. This was back in March of this year and he had only played 5-6 times. On the way to the course we stopped and I bought a Aviar P/A and a Beast, both DX. After playing the first 9 holes I was hooked and we played 18 more. The next day I bought a bag and started reading up on the sport. Since that first day I've only missed a few days of not playing at least a quick 9.

Many years ago I was pretty good at ultimate and doing trick throws and catches just throwing with friends in college. But my first loves were soccer and outdoor adventures. Fast forward through kids and years of soccer. One day I'm walking around Dicks Sporting goods and see this weird display of discs and the Innova starter kit. It brought back some fond memories, so I did a little research (being an engineer) and found out that not only were there courses nearby but the Navy base I work at was putting in a disc golf course where the ball golf course used to be. Went back and bought two starter sets to try it out. It's turned out to be a great blend of getting out into the woods, the technical aspects of aerodynamics, with a little hint of college days nostalgia.

Played Disc golf on the PS3 Move Sports Champion game from January to the beginning of this FEB. After that me and my buddy just said screw it and we went and bought a couple of discs and hit the local course (Debusk) and we have played at least 3 games a week since.

Many years ago I was pretty good at ultimate and doing trick throws and catches just throwing with friends in college. But my first loves were soccer and outdoor adventures. Fast forward through kids and years of soccer. One day I'm walking around Dicks Sporting goods and see this weird display of discs and the Innova starter kit. It brought back some fond memories, so I did a little research (being an engineer) and found out that not only were there courses nearby but the Navy base I work at was putting in a disc golf course where the ball golf course used to be. Went back and bought two starter sets to try it out. It's turned out to be a great blend of getting out into the woods, the technical aspects of aerodynamics, with a little hint of college days nostalgia.

^ nice

I was 12 or 13 and a friend of mine has some JLS drivers. He told me they were "frisbee discs." We went out in the road and threw them forehand because we couldn't control them throwing backhand. Fast forward a couple years and I realized there were disc golf courses, one being less than 5 miles from my house (Lime Kiln Park). I went to my local Dunhams and bought a Polaris by Millenium (still have it to this day, flippy as hellllllll lol) I played this somewhat decent 9 hole course about 200 times during my high school years. Never took it seriously, but always went to this park after school to play a couple rounds and chill out.

I eventually started whipping it backhand and gained some extra distance on my fellow forehand friends. Fell even more in love with the game. I was one of the best players out of all my friends (brag) so I always wanted to get out and play. After I left high school most of my friends and I parted ways, so I stopped playing for a couple years. Now I'm 25 and this summer I've gotten COMPLETELY addicted to the game again. I've joined this forum and have made huge strides in my game. Who knows, maybe someday I'll go pro... :D

Last edited:
Well, for starters, Ox Bow County Park in Indiana has had baskets for as long as I can remember. This is going back to at least 1989 if my memory serves me correctly. I always wanted to take a Frisbee down there but never really did...

About two years back I find out that a lot of my friends I grew up with in Indiana played, and so did quite a few of my friends I went to school with at WSU. I discovered this right about the time I left school and moved back to the Seattle area though... But then my boss's (now) fiancee introduced her to the game and they had me come along to try it out the following week. I figured it was high time that I played since basically everyone I knew played the game. They gave me a Champ Beast to throw and some random putter... Probably Discraft. I immediately drove to Play It Again after they dropped me off and picked up a Champ Monster, DX Gazelle, and Star Dart. I had no idea what I was doing, and the people at PIAS (who told me they played) offered no advice at all. Luckily for me, the friend let me borrow the Beast (which I had SOME control over) for a while, and I ran into a player the next week who really helped me out with advice. I never saw him again. Weird. Then I went to a different PIAS to buy discs for practice and ran into an employee who not only played, but who helped me pick discs out too. The Monster was joined by a Valk, Sidewinder, TL, and Skeeter, and from there... Well. Here I am... Wishing I'd been handed a Buzzz and told to go to town.

A few years ago, I was economic development director for a small town and the idea was proposed to put in a disc golf course around the lake there. I assisted in getting funding and the baskets and such. Unfortunately I left before it was finished so I never got to play. Its kinda been in the back of my head ever since then. finally we were camping here in Holly a few weeks ago and wanted to play the course there, but noone had any discs.

After that me and the Gf, who has played before, decided to go get some discs. So we did. I got a Lat 64 Halo and a Discraft Reaper. Good move there, but Im sure most of us have been there.

Addicted? Well lets see since then I've bought 5 more discs and still check the MP every day and all I want to do is go throw..so you tell me?

picture.php

I was hanging out with my buddy at WMU (Western Michigan University) and we went up to Knollwood. They gave me a driver of some sort and I did horrible, but I did have fun. I then went out and bought a DX Teerex. I threw O.H. from the start so it wasn't that horrible of a starter disc until I switched to FH.

I have always loved throwing a frisbee around at the beach, and when I heard some guys at work talking about disc golf, I promptly butted in and invited myself along. I stopped at a sport shop on the way over and picked up a champ banshee (I liked the name) and a sonic (because it felt the most like a frisbee). I played a round, loved it, and started playing every Friday with the group. Once a week was only enough for about a month, and I've played 3 - 5+ times a week since!

A buddy of mine took me to Schenley Park. He only had a few discs & told me to pick one. I picked the Reaper. Not a good choice to say the least. It took me almost 2 rounds before I had that " AH HA" throw. I picked up a starter kit about a week later, and fell in love with the Leopard & Aviar! Been hooked ever since.

"cheaper than ball golf, with the same frustration & fun" -

So HarkeyPuck introduced me to DG about 3 or so years ago. I went out for a round with him and another friend, and I think I used a DX eagle, shark, and avair. Played a few rounds that day. Went out with them a few more weekends but ol' Harkey kept giving me different discs (not that it mattered) but I didn't grasp the concept of how different discs flew. So I made the mistake of buying a DX Beast (150 so it wasn't as horrible of a decision), wolf, avair.

I think my "I like this game alot moment" happend playing glow golf with just a glow P&A avair (probably helped that beers were involved)

I became addicted when Harkey handed me a star leopard and told me to try that and I could actually throw it pretty well. I bought that disc from him and now I can't get enough of the game.

This thread is fantastic! It's so interesting reading the history behind the DGCR members!

I started throwing Frisbees when I was about 12 or 13. That was around 1970. I think it was 1979 when we found a Frisbee golf course and played that for 2 years. (That is still one of the most fun courses I've played as long as you use a Frisbee).
In 1987 I worked with a guy that told me there were disc golf leagues around town and asked me to join. So I joined in April of 1987 and became a disc golfer.
I still miss the days of everyone playing catch.

A lot of great stories in this thread.

My then new gf had one of those lousy promotional so called frisbees. We were bored so we were playing catch with it. Being a old hippy I told her I was gonna buy us a "real" frisbee and I did. Some time before that we were driving through Joseph Davis SP and we saw some baskets. We both wondered what the hell they were. Some sort of weird thing to feed the deer in the winter? There was no one out playing at that time.

Anyway we enjoyed going to parks and tossing the official beach lid around. Then we went to a family picnic at Beaver Island SP. The pavilion my family had reserved overlooked hole number 2 and the teebox for number 3 was right next to our spot. Beaver Island gets a lot of golfers especially during the summer on the weekends. AHA! That's what those baskets were for. I think we were both hooked before we even actually started playing. I already played ball golf and I had a vague memory of hearing about frisbee golf. It was obvious that the discs were smaller and the people playing had several discs each. That week while shopping at Walmart I saw Wham-O starter packs and they were on sale for about $17. I bought all 3 they had on the shelf. That next weekend we went back to Joseph Davis SP and played.

We also quickly discovered several internet sites related to the sport. Armed with a ton of information I ordered us a dozen different discs. Being a hippy and she a Deadhead I ordered all tiedye discs. Most were not suited to our experience level but they sure were pretty. There was a couple winners in the group including a 150g Champion Leopard. We still have the original Wham-O discs collecting cobwebs in the garage and at least 1 of the real discs from the initial on line purchase.

The rest as they say is history.

As kids we used to grab cheap frisbees, pick targets and play golf. We did the same thing kicking soccer balls. Frisbee golf and soccer golf were some of our favorite summer games. We stopped playing as we got older though. Fast forward a few years, I was working as a lifeguard at Westover Park when they installed an actual course. So I went home, grabbed a couple of old cheap lids and tried it out with my brother. We soon upgraded to real golf discs and I've been hooked ever since.

My son had just been released from the hospital and since he couldn't go back to school for a few weeks, I took FMLA time to stay home with him. One day we took a walk with our neighbor up the Jones Falls Trail and ended up at Druid Hill. There are some practice baskets in the field were the trail goes by and he asked me what they were. I explained what they were for and that I had played once when I was a kid. My neighbor mentioned that he played on occasion and had some discs my son could borrow.

A few days later we were out on the course throwing some discs. Then went home and watch a lot of videos on YouTube. Six Months later we are still playing.

Latest posts