• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you get started?

My buddy and I got started in 1985. I just got out of Jr. college and lived by a high school that had lots of property. We used Aerobies, heavy ultimate frisbees and a light disc for getting around obstacles. I designed a 9 hole course that had some length but not many obstacles. To hole out you had to hit the middle of the tree, the fire hydrant, the octagonal part of the stop sign or the flag pole in front of the school. 1990 I moved and never gave disc golf another thought.

In 2010 I moved from Florida to Horn Lake, Mississippi. I got on craigslist to find me a place near Tunica so I could spend the summer playing poker. The house I found the extra room in, was located right across the street from Latimer Lakes DGC. Disc golf discs were being sold everywhere, even at Walgreens. I bought some and gave it a try. I liked it but sometimes I would get mad, I couldn't control the disc like I wanted. I decided to take some winnings and buy a bag. I saw a really cool tye dye disc that I liked...it was called a Buzzz. It threw straight, I loved it...then I lost it.

I've been so mad at myself, that I've sold all my discs and "left" the sport. Brettallen's friend was the benefactor of one of my fits. But, I always come back. Now that I understand how each disc is different, my scores are getting better. I won three novice tourneys this year and have moved up to Rec.

Last edited:
Well, it's a funny story...

I was 9 years old being molested...

Wait that's a different story.

I was a student at Florida in 1986 and they had a golf course you could play 18 holes for $5. So my roommate & I would buy a 12 pack & ice it in our bags and walk to the course and play a round.

They shut the course down for repairs and a stoner hippy friend suggested disc golf. I used a huge beach Frisbee the first year.

My buddy and I got started in 1985. I just got out of Jr. college and lived by a high school that had lots of property. We used Aerobies, heavy ultimate frisbees and a light disc for getting around obstacles. I designed a 9 hole course that had some length but not many obstacles. To hole out you had to hit the middle of the tree, the fire hydrant, the octagonal part of the stop sign or the flag pole in front of the school. 1990 I moved and never gave disc golf another thought.

In 2010 I moved from Florida to Horn Lake, Mississippi. I got on craigslist to find me a place near Tunica so I could spend the summer playing poker. The house I found the extra room in, was located right across the street from Latimer Lakes DGC. Disc golf discs were being sold everywhere, even at Walgreens. I bought some and gave it a try. I liked it but sometimes I would get mad, I couldn't control the disc like I wanted. I decided to take some winnings and buy a bag. I saw a really cool tye dye disc that I liked...it was called a Buzzz. It threw straight, I loved it...then I lost it.

I've been so mad at myself, that I've sold all my discs and "left" the sport. Brettallen's friend was the benefactor of one of my fits. But, I always come back. Now that I understand how each disc is different, my scores are getting better. I won three novice tourneys this year and have moved up to Rec.

Let's play horn lake soon!

Was at my cousins house in Minnesota over the summer of 2010 and they asked my 2 brothers if they wanted to play disc golf. I guess they were bored or something and said yes. They didn't have enough bikes for me to go, so I was stuck at their house. They came back and said one shot bounced off a tree and killed a rabbit. Back on subject, for some reason I was interested in what this game was like because I didn't get to go (jealousy and mystery are powerful). So I got some discs the fall after that, played for maybe a month, then stopped playing. Fast forward 1 and a half years to the beginning of this summer, I looked at these discs in my room, and thought "well I'm bored so why don't I go try throwing those again." And that was the start of my addiction. Now I read tons of information on form and technique and try to replicate it, and have already increased my drives from 280 feet to 400 now with my PD (and probably farther when I get to go try my Opto Halo tommorow) just in 2 months. On a side note, it always cracks me up when I think about my brother strong arming some disc back in the summer of '10
out to about 50 feet maybe going slow and somehow killing a rabbit. Picturing it in my mind is hilarious.

around 2000 i was getting into the jamband scene and started hanging out with a more laid back crowd....one of the guys asked if i had ever played i said no.....even though my home town had a course in the woods...(never knew what it was as a kid growing up) (marquette heights, il) went once and had the hardest time throwing bh....so i worked and worked at it in a field....went to McNaughton park my first time and saw a guy throwing fh...i tweeked my fh and finally got it down to get reputable distance....now it's the sport/therapy/fresh air/exercise activity i love most!!! dg is life!! ask my wife she gets so pissed when i come from home from work and start a conversation with-"on the disc golf forum....."or "man! you should have seen this approach i had today on the course!!!!" hahahah oh well it's an amazing sport!!! thas muh story!:D

thrembo, we have the beginnings in common (same book in '75), etc., but I brain-cramped for 30 years that this was the lifelong exercise routine I should've been living.
Started playing with frisbees when they soared in popularity in the midwest in the '70's, won a long drive competition at 12 or 13 years old (200') in '73/'74 (can't remember exactly but I ruined my amateur status for future Olympic competition with a US savings bond!:thmbup:), joined the IFA & sent in my achievements for 'master class' qualification as a teen (I guess that was essentially freestyle), collected 'lids' as a teenager, then rarely threw them the next three decades.
Saw my first aerobee in flight in 2006, so I got a couple of those. Started walking the neighborhood at age 50 and saw how boring that could be, so created a par 72 object course for my walk and shredded my old moonlighter on the asphalt.
Bumped into a neighbor who said he used to work with a lady who was 'pretty good' at disc golf, and wondered if I'd ever been to the local course (no :wall:)
I picked up my first golf discs in September, 2011, found out we have 30 local courses (Including Idlewild, Mt. Airy and Lincoln Ridge!), played my first tourney on New Years' Day, and joined DGCR in February.
(btw: the lady my neighbor mentioned turned out to be 5 time world champ Tammy Pelicane)

thrembo, we have the beginnings in common (same book in '75), etc., but I brain-cramped for 30 years that this was the lifelong exercise routine I should've been living.
Started playing with frisbees when they soared in popularity in the midwest in the '70's, won a long drive competition at 12 or 13 years old (200') in '73/'74 (can't remember exactly but I ruined my amateur status for future Olympic competition with a US savings bond!:thmbup:), joined the IFA & sent in my achievements for 'master class' qualification as a teen (I guess that was essentially freestyle), collected 'lids' as a teenager, then rarely threw them the next three decades.
Saw my first aerobee in flight in 2006, so I got a couple of those. Started walking the neighborhood at age 50 and saw how boring that could be, so created a par 72 object course for my walk and shredded my old moonlighter on the asphalt.
Bumped into a neighbor who said he used to work with a lady who was 'pretty good' at disc golf, and wondered if I'd ever been to the local course (no :wall:)
I picked up my first golf discs in September, 2011, found out we have 30 local courses (Including Idlewild, Mt. Airy and Lincoln Ridge!), played my first tourney on New Years' Day, and joined DGCR in February.
(btw: the lady my neighbor mentioned turned out to be 5 time world champ Tammy Pelicane)

Welcome back! Cinci is a great place for disc golf. I get up there from time to time.

And thanks HarkeyPuck, it was fun throwing with you too. I would love to play some courses in PA. I have a cousin up there I need to visit some time.

There was a dude, lived in a house I hung out at in 1995. One day, he invites us disc golfing.

I was hooked by hole 10.

I had a few buddies who played. They let me borrow discs for a couple of rounds and then I decided to buy my own. Champ sidewinder, champ coyote, dx rhyno. I still have and throw the dx rhyno, the others got lost a long time ago. My first round was at lovers lane in BG. I was hooked from the first hole, which I somehow 3'ed even though it's 400ft

First course of mine was Abroretum with a friend who introduced me to the game. Started out with a star aviar and star leopard, then traded for a few more discs and got hooked.

Growing up played safari golf at the elementary school across the street (early nineties) with whatever free frisbees we had in the garage. I liked the heavier ones. Did play a real course on vacation once - was fun but difficult with the free frisbees.

Fastforward 10 years - played once with a buddy at Acorn Park. First throw, chucked his disc in the pond.

Fastforward another 10 years, played on a church retreat. Enjoyed it. Thought it would be a fun game to play with my daughters. Bought my DX Valk, destroyer and dart (sounded cooler than aviar).

I now play about once a weeks and have over 40 discs.:thmbup:

In July of 2008 and a cousin of mine told me about it and we went and played. I was hooked right away. First disc was a XL and a starter pack with Avair, Shark & leopard. I wish I knew about this sport at an earlier age. I was 45 when I first played.

First round was in June of 05. A friend from wisconsin got me into it. I threw a spare grid stamped aviar and big bird ontario roc for a few weeks until I decided I liked the game. First round was at the first course. Oak Grove, La Canada, CA

When I was about 12 or 13 years old my uncle asked me if I knew what disc golf was and if I had ever played. I hadn't but due to my competitive nature of course I was up for it. I told him I didn't have a disc to throw and he told me not to worry because there is a guy there who would sell me one. We walked the two blocks to Kaposia Park and for the first time I met Geoff George who at that time was the local disc golf guru, in fact if I remeber correctly he helped layout and design Kaposia for disc golf. Anyway we walked up to Geoffs little hatchback and in there were several boxes of discs. We told him that I was a new player and he reached into one box and pulled out a light blue Shark. I paid him for the disc and he said since it was slow that he would play a round with us. Needless to say I learned a lot on my very first round of disc golf and would play several more rounds with him as time went on.
After I graduated high school I took about a 10 year break from the sport until recently a co-worker of mine asked if I had ever played. I told him it had been 10 years but I was willing to give it a shot. I went out and bought a few discs and we played that day, surprisingly I remembered how to play and was much better than I ever remember being. I've been completely hooked again ever since and don't plan on taking any more 10 year breaks!

Last May my brother and a mutual friend started playing and invited me to play for a while. The game didn't sound like that much fun. I finally went out with them and my friend gave me an older DX Roc to play with. I used pretty much that one disc for the whole round. Instantly hooked. Went home, googled all sorts of DG stuff that same night, and found this site. The rest is history.

I have only heard of disc golf for a year, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about...but I think that we'll look back at this time as the "Golden Age" of disc golf. The game is growing, more and more courses are getting approved, and new discs are coming out all the time. The game is great now. It's popular, but it's still the popular sport nobody knows about.

That's all going to change with growth. Pretty soon it's going to be all pay to play, discs coming from China, and corporate sponsors. That may be a good thing to some, but I like going to the course and being the only one there on a weekday morning. We need to enjoy the game how it is now. In 10-15 years (or less) it's going to be a lot different.

My best friend in high school went into the marines and got stationed over by quantico. He called me one day and said he was playing some game with frisbees. I laughed and told him he was just way to bored over there. He came back last year and begged me to go for a month or so before I gave in. I birdied a 300 ft hole over a creek and through some trees. It was a 50 ft putt from my knees under a bridge. Damn him for doing this to me! I now have a full 18 hole(9 basket) course on my property. Four aces later I can't get enough.

A couple friends took me the first time. Through the first 9 or so hole I was grumbling, what a dumb game. By the end of 18 I was asking if they wanted to go another 18. Needless to say two months in and I have about 15 discs and a basket in my backyard. Yeah I'm hooked. :thmbup:

I had known about disc golf for years. A couple of my friends had been playing but I never got an invite. Then about 3 1/2 years ago a coworker's son from Cali started him and he then asked me to play. First went to PIAS and bought 3 discs. Champ Leopard, MS Aurora and a P&A Aviar. First round was at Zilker Park in Austin. Hooked ever since.
possibly 3 of the best discs to start with

I got started when I lived right down the street from kentwood in Raleigh. I used to just drive by and laugh at all the hippies. Then one day my roommate got me to go with him. He let me borrow a wheel, a avair and some quest driver, it took a few times before I went to PIAS and picked up (at my roommate's suggestion), a champ teebird and a dx roc and dx avair. Then I was hooked, playing kentwood for hours and hours. Then I found cedar hills and my game started to get better. Soon I was making trips all over to play as many courses as I could.