• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you get started?

Circa 1975 I got a copy of this book:

picture.php

In it was a description for Frisbee (Disc) golf. We started creating our own object courses and playing with discs like this:

picture.php

I also joined this:

picture.php

And thats how I met a couple of old timers in the Illinois Frisbee Assn. that told us about the course in Joliet (West Park) opening up in 1979. I was addicted right away. I had already been collecting discs and playing mostly freestyle before I found disc golf.

This was the first golf specific disc that I got:

picture.php

Change a few specifics and that's pretty much my story as well, down to learning about Frisbee golf from Stancil Johnson's book, joining the IFA, etc. Arkansas instead of Illinois, made up my own object courses for a few years before playing my first round on a course with Pole Holes (Burns Park in NLR in 1981). Midnight Flyers until getting a Kitty Hawk Driver and Kitty Hawk Putter at a Burns Park tourney in 1983.

So I swam for nine years, the usual 4 hours a day, about 10 miles a day. I went to a D1 school this past year and was on the swim team, we traveled the country but by the end of the year I had had enough of swimming so I quit. I was driving to a friends house and noticed a few baskets at this church. I had heard of disc golf and it was intriguing and I knew I needed a new hobby to fill my time with now that I was not swimming so I went to my local store and bought two DX Valks and I went and threw with my sister and I have been hooked ever since.

In high school my buddy inherited a bag of discs when his uncle killed himself. We knew of a course in a nearby town so we would go there when we were bored. We'd all grab our favorite out of his bag and play a round. I got my first disc when I threw one of his in the lake and found a KC Pro Teebird while searching for it. Still have that disc sitting in a bin (no I won't sell it to you).

So glad I found this sport even if it was through a terrible circumstance.

Change a few specifics and that's pretty much my story as well, down to learning about Frisbee golf from Stancil Johnson's book, joining the IFA, etc. Arkansas instead of Illinois, made up my own object courses for a few years before playing my first round on a course with Pole Holes (Burns Park in NLR in 1981). Midnight Flyers until getting a Kitty Hawk Driver and Kitty Hawk Putter at a Burns Park tourney in 1983.

Cool! I still have a Kitty Hawk too:

picture.php

Once Discraft, Lightning and Innova started making discs I had the best results with Discraft, and have pretty much been throwing and collecting them ever since.

Hey, I was a regular at Burns Park tournaments from 1982-85. I lived a hundred miles away (Batesville), but would come to LR a lot on the weekends. Bet we have played together sometime. Did you play in any tournaments then?

Got a Dick's gift card for a birthday sometime in the mid 00's. Nothing at the store really jumped out at me, so I bought the Innova starter kit. Went to the nearest course a few times, but never really got hooked. Something about FH cut rolling a 150 Leopard a few dozen times just didn't do it for me.

Then in 2008 I was camping with the family and there was a course at the State Park we were camping in. I still had the 150 Shark from the starter kit (not sure where the Leopard or the Aviar went :(), and played 2 rounds. As soon as I got home, I looked up some local leagues, and have been hooked ever since.

My younger brother and a friend of his were heavy into ball golf about 5 years ago. Well, both of them lost their jobs and were looking for a cheap alternative. They started playing disc golf, and, in their adventures, they found a disc. So, knowing that I am a consummate frisbee player, my brother invited me along. They allowed me the use of the 3rd disc and, as an aside - I have no idea what that disc was!!

We flew over at NE Coachman that day. Started out nicely; however, it was crowded and the back side always retains water when it rains. By the time we got to hole 4, my brother's friend grew antsy with the waiting. I told them that there was another course real close by (Cliff Stephens) so we drove over there. We got to hole 8 and two of us tossed it in the drink - leaving my brother with the lone disc. Well, I recommended going over to the Clearwater Disc Golf store - I was hooked!!. I bought 5 disc's and a bag. I also bought my brothers buddy a disc so he can continue flying.

With my new found passion, we drove down to St.Pete (Maximo Park and the Tocobaga Disc Golf Course) where my brother and his buddy were used to playing. We got in 18 holes there and I have been going non-stop ever since!!

Hey, I was a regular at Burns Park tournaments from 1982-85. I lived a hundred miles away (Batesville), but would come to LR a lot on the weekends. Bet we have played together sometime. Did you play in any tournaments then?

I played one in the spring or summer of 1981 -- got up at 3 am to drive down from Fayetteville to NLR with another kid who lived across the street (I was 17, he was 16), and back home that night. It had to be 1981 because I was old enough to be allowed to drive 4 hours on my own, but we moved from Fayetteville to Harrisburg later that year. I played one in the spring of 1983 -- I was on spring break from Hendrix, and I packed up the tent we had for family camping trips that hadn't been used in several years and camped at the campground. Unfortunately, whoever packed up the tent last time it was used hadn't gotten all the poles back in the box. I ended up having to use some rope through one of the pole rings on the ridge line to essentially hang it from a tree branch. Even worse, that early in the year the ground temp was still way below the daytime air temps. I had only a light sleeping bag, and no real insulation between the thin vinyl bottom of the tent and the ground. I slept fully clothed with the sleeping bag as tight around me as I could manage. I've since been in Calgary in Feb when the wind chill was 39 below, but I've never been more miserable from cold than I was that night. As soon as it was even faintly light, I headed for the showers in the campground, turned on the water as hot as it would go, and stayed there for the better part of an hour. I know it was 1983 because I have Ted Smethers' initials, PDGA number, the date, and the official weight of the discs on my Kitty Hawks. Then I played one more, in the summer of 1986, after graduating from Hendrix, when I was living with a college buddy down on Fair Park and working as a fry cook at Chiquito's Mex-To-Go on Geyer Springs. A month after that I moved to Atlanta to go to grad school, and didn't make it back to Burns Park to play until a year ago in April.

The first tournament I don't think there were even multiple divisions. The second and third I'm pretty sure had am and pro divisions at least. At one of them (and I can't believe I can't remember for sure which) Steady Ed was there, and because I was leading the am division after the first day, I was on the card with him for the second day. Messed with my head enough I completely tanked and finished third, I think. Anyway, it's possible we bumped into each other, but I was young, shy, and frankly pretty intimidated by most of the folks playing those second two events (I'd never seen anyone throw a roller until then, when I watched a guy on my card park several holes with one). So I kept to myself for most of the time. Some of my college buddies and I would play Burns Park occasionally when we came down to LR from Conway, but not often.

Most of my dad's side of the family was from Jackson and Independence counties, up around Batesville -- I've got family buried all over the place up there: Oil Trough, Magness, Swifton, Tuckerman, Newport, Weldon, Auvergne, etc.

I started in college just to be one with nature, started playing two or three rounds a week until last summer when I got hooked play everyday now. My first disc was a dx wraith, I got hooked when I made my first *long* putt

I really like these stories!

My oldest Son's cub scout leader wanted to talk to me about helping with an upcoming event. He said "Let's meet at Shillito Park tomorrow and we'll play a round of disc golf and talk about it", I had no idea what he was talking about but showed up. He explained the basics and handed me a DX Wolf (that didn't go so great) and I was hooked. When we were finished I asked where I could buy discs. He gave me the Wolf and pointed me towards Meijers (just outside to park) to look at others. I purchased an 11x KC Pro Teebird and an 11x KC Pro Banshee (still have both) - The possibility of needing a putter was foreign to me at the time. Was throwing behind the apartment and realized that both discs traveled much better for me forehand (he never mentioned that was an option!).

I don't remember my score from that first round but know it's the only round I've ever played backhand. That was also Roger's last victory in our numerous rounds together, He was shocked when we met less than a week later and I was throwing forehand and 100' farther than round 1. Good disc selection!

Last edited:
My buddy asked me if I wanted to play, so I went and bought the Innova DX starter set, and I was hooked.

A buddy claims we used to play object golf at Stoney Creek back in the late 70s...honestly have no memory of it. Played serious ball golf for about 35 years. I live about a mile from Meyer Broadway, one of the courses in 2008 Worlds. In March 2007 my nephew and his buddies from the Detroit area asked if they could stay at my house while they checked out some of the probable Worlds courses. Thought it sounded like a ridiculous "sport", but I tagged along. First round in the snow at MB...couldn't throw more than 200' (if that) and shot about 88. Went to Oshtemo the same day...Oshtemo longs in the snow for my second round ever...shot 95. Took it as a challenge...nephew gave me a couple discs...played pretty much daily from 2007-2010. Still like to play occasionally, but am no longer OCD about the game.

Last edited:
Hello all, this topic is an approprite first post for me.

How did I get started playing disc golf?

Well, back in the day (60's and 70's) I threw a lot of run and catch Frisbee with my buds. We would spend hours on end throwing to each other and learning trick catches and trick throws. As my life was moving forward with career, family and a house obligations, my Frisbee days kind of came to an end even though I still have 30+ year old Frisbee Free Style 141 grams LOL.

Fast forward to 6 years ago when my 2nd wife and I moved to Euclid, OH near Cleveland. Soon after moving I discovered that there was a Disc Golf course about 1/2 mile down the road on the shores of Lake Erie (Sims Park). I was aware of the game but had never played and still did not play until the following year when my wife and I attended a community day festival at Sims Park. A fellow named Scotty had a booth to promote the game and I stopped by to chat. The next thing I knew he was taking me out to throw a couple of holes and I birdied the the 4th hole I had tried. I think I was hooked at that moment! I guess my Frisbee throwing skills had been lying dormant in my body all these years. Anyway after about 5 holes we go back to his booth where he is selling starting kits and of course I bought one. He invited me to attend the Monday night scrambles that he hosted at that time and I started going and learning from the more experienced players.

I was able to get to the point of where I didn't suck pretty quickly but it has been a long uphill battle to get what I call "good". This year I made a break through on my backhand and am regularly throwing 300+ now though 400 still seems to be out of reach, but I am still trying....ususally several days a week.

Rick G

Last edited:
I started with a big dumbo frisbee. After a while, I figured out I could tape pennies to the underside of it and launch it a lot further.

Keep 'em coming !

Man I love this post ! Love hearing about you 'old' guys stories! Where's Old Bassman ?

I came out 2 years ago for a Friday night party after work affair with about a dozen co-workers , figuring I'm gonna rule cuz I threw a lot of frisbees in and after high school . I SUCKED ! And couldn't wait to go again....

Played about 150 rounds last summer becuz the wife bought a puppy and this was the puppy's walk.

Played any sunny day in Jan,feb, march this year, in the snow with a streamer taped to the top of the disc to find the disc in the deep snow.

About 130 rounds so far this year, my first tourney 2 weeks ago,and signed up for an ace race 4 hours away in my old hometown.
Disc holiday coming up this weekend with family, we'll see how this pans out.

And that puppy is well known and behaved on the local course.

I just didn't realize that I started this sport as a Grand Master , don't think anyone knows how old I am....

Was looking for something to with a Discraft Ultimate Frisbee other than play catch. I told my old hippie coworker we should try Frisbee golf. So we went to Adler park with our ultimate frisbee's and played a round, I found I could get some better distance throwing forehand with my thumb on the inside rim. It was fun, but we couldn't get any serious distance, didn't keep score. The next week, he came out with an innova starter pack. I refused to play with the "actual" discs, because I couldn't throw them for anything. On the last hole, I said "let me see that cheetah leopard thing" and proceeded threw his leopard over the basket.. we just looked at each other in amazement, "it IS possible to get a hole in one!" from then on I've been freaking addicted.

I started playing in Oklahoma City. I had been with a friend before, but never really tried to play. It was more of a social thing. One day I was given a gift card after tossing a frisbee around with a buddy and thought,"I should try playing disc golf again". I took the card and bought a champion beast, a valkyrie, and an aviar. I went to will rogers park, which was a mile from my house, and just started throwing. I found out fast that I could throw a disc a very long way and that I was pretty accurate. I couple of other guys asked me to play with them and so i did. I found myself out at the course the next two or three days straight playing with the same guys. One gave me and esp avenger and I threw it on the next hole and got my first ace. It was the first week that I started playing. Just hearing those chains slam gave me chills. I had so much satisfaction knowing that I threw the disc just right and hit a spot so small. It was only about 180ft, but I've been hooked ever since. Its been four years now and 12 aces later, but I still get as excited as ever when I hear those chains slam. Im hooked for life!

I just didn't realize that I started this sport as a Grand Master , don't think anyone knows how old I am....

Me too! Just started playing DG in September when I was 50 and have played tournaments this year as Rec and as Adv Grand Master. I'd love to sandbag at Novice just once in my rookie year, but haven't found a tournament that offers it near me. :p
By the way, I still have a dozen Wham-o discs that are apparently PDGA approved, even though they're all 30-40 years old. Hey old guys: feel free to browse my disc collection for some nostalgic pics, if you threw Frisbees back in the day (I didn't bother listing or photographing the twenty or so 'Humphrey Flyers' & other promotional junk that I collected when I was into Frisbees as a teen).

The PDGA does have a "Vintage Class" of discs, but I don't recall ever seeing an event for them. It might be fun to have a tourny where you could only throw the old stuff again. On a shorter course, of course! I have a bunch of pictures of vintage discs in my folders too, if anyone wants to check them out.

The PDGA does have a "Vintage Class" of discs, but I don't recall ever seeing an event for them. It might be fun to have a tourny where you could only throw the old stuff again. On a shorter course, of course! I have a bunch of pictures of vintage discs in my folders too, if anyone wants to check them out.

Yeah, I've never actually seen a Vintage Class tournament. I did play one and run one more Super Class event, but the carping and complaining and ridicule (and low participation) were enough to convince me not to try running one again. I'd definitely participate in another one, though.

I never had a whole lot of old golf discs, and several have been lost along the way. Right now, an old Kitty Hawk Driver and Kitty Hawk Softouch Putter and a Midnight Flyer are the oldest things I have. And the only reason I have the Midnight Flyer is that it was originally glued to a trophy plaque but fell off very soon after I got it, and the plaque went missing somewhere along the way.