• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you discover new lines?

ArcheType

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
at your local course, how do you find new lines to throw holes?

I'm sure lots of people will say they see someone else throw it first, and nothing wrong with that, just curious about other ideas. I personally play multiple rounds, and make sure to never throw the same type of throw twice on a hole, if I tee off anny the first time, its fh the next, or even a roller, just always switching it up.

Stand back and look. Review every throwtype in your mind and try to find a line to throw it on that hole.

I just look for the biggest spaces without trees in 'em, and then see if I can figure a reasonable disc flight path through those spaces. I don't throw rollers or overheads for distance, so finding a new line usually just means trying gaps to the left or right.

It is, however, also productive to look up from time to time.

Always have an "open mind" when shooting a hole. It's almost as if you have to mentally break away from the "knee jerk" reaction -- so to speak -- to shoot the line handed to you by the hole.

Playing with local pro's or course locals -- well, they help point out these lines.

Always remember -- look up, left, right, and low -- then it's just a matter of practice and consistently hitting that line, if there's one to found.

I heard somewhere that people will look back down the hole towards the tee from the basket. Does anyone do that?

I turn to my friends and say "hey, watch this" then mutter "i hope this works
other than that i just throw, no 2 shots of mine are the exact same so they tend to find gaps i never thought possible, such as parking a hole through a fork in a tree barely big enough for a disc

i have for the most part been the one to always find lines the nobody else sees in my group. Usually they are found by looking up and either left or right. Im starting to get away from that though as the lines i usually see are VERY high risk and usually end with a 5 if not executed properly

sometimes I will play a round where every shot off the tee will be a non traditional trhow for me, whether that be a roller, overhand or forearm. Sometimes it works out and you get that great shot that will be used the next time you tee off from that particular tee.

I usually select a random disc that I normal don't play on that hole and try to make it work.

Try to think outside of your normal game. As for execution, play by yourself at odd times and throw doubles or triples.

If your course ever has any type of doubles event, try to get in, or just watch. When I was first starting to play my course had random doubles every Sunday. While I played that I saw more types of shots and lines than I ever imagined. Some I really like and still use to this day, others, I'd scratch my head and think wtf????

I heard somewhere that people will look back down the hole towards the tee from the basket. Does anyone do that?

This can definitely help, it's a different way to look at the hole that gives you an idea of what lines have the potential to get you close to the hole.

Latest posts