• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you motivate yourself to go play when the weather isn't perfect?

Rain. I don't go if it's raining more than a drizzle. Footing gets bad, gear gets mucky, just not much fun. Wind, cold, and heat though, we play. Summer has arrived in NC. I played 3 rounds of a local nine-holer a couple of days ago and it was steaming out with bugs everywhere.

For me, it's because tournaments don't wait for good weather. Sure, they might get cancelled due to severe weather as we've seen this year, but you've got to be ready or know what mindset you need to be in for wet/windy/cold rounds. Also knowing ahead of time discs you can trust in poor conditions will help, along with the amount of extra gear you should have (rain fly, towels, birdie bag, rain jacket, shoes/socks, etc)

For myself, I play for pleasure, not tournament preparation. Most of the time, anyway. Besides, I've been caught in the rain, or played tournaments in the rain, enough to have a pretty good idea how to play in it.

Which isn't to dismiss those who are more focused on developing their bad-weather skills. Just not for me.

Wind is fun because it involves more decision-making; heat is endurable because, being in South Carolina, it's either endure it, or take 3 or 4 months off, something I'm unwilling to do. Cold, well, depends on "how cold" we're talking about---in S.C., any cold that's colder than I want to deal with, will likely end in a couple of days.

If there is a tournament, I will play in all conditions.

If I am on a disc golf road trip, I will play in all conditions.

If I am at home in So Cal, I will play in the wind, cold or heat, but usually avoid playing in the rain.

What really motivates me in bad weather is knowing that I'll have the course to myself. The only time I won't venture out is with lightning.

the only thing that will keep me from playing a course for the first time is lightning.

Anything short of a downpour and I'm playing. I've played in 3 feet of snow, I've played in 50mph winds, I've played in heavy rain, I've played in thunderstorms, and I've played on 100 degree days. I just like playing. Enduring bad conditions makes it more fun.

I don't. It's a discretionary activity. It'll be there tomorrow.

My Dad passed away in April. I've played a grand total of three holes and some putting practice since. I'm sure the itch will return sometime, but right now I don't feel up to it. If conditions are less than ideal, even less so.

I want to offer my condolences, Scarp. Life has a way of reminding us how UNimportant this game is. (For the vast majority of us)

And I agree completely with your fist paragraph. DG can wait another day.

The responses so far seem to be very regional. If you're used to heat, then hot is OK for ya. Same for wind or rain. Lightning or high wind in the woods pose a credible threat to all and are a definite no-go for any rational player. After that, it comes down to your comfort and commitment level.

So. Cal. players have almost no excuse. ;)

As a new Rec player in Seattle, with limited time for DG, if getting wet stopped me I would only get out maybe 3-4 months per year. http://www.seattleweatherblog.com/rain-stats/rainfall-2017/

Friction gloves have been my godsend. Since I know going in that there is no way me or my stuff is going to stay dry, absent onerous measures, I just plan on getting wet and get going when I can.

Cold, on the other hand, will drive me away every time. If I can't feel my fingers, what's the point?

Cold (a relative term here in NC) I can deal with.
Hot & sticky I'll play a heavily wooded course where the temp can be as much as 10* cooler than out in the open.
Windy; again I have the option of choosing a course in my area with woods or terrain that blocks or breaks up the wind.
Wet and warm I don't mind. In fact a cooling shower can be refreshing on a hot NC summer day.
Cold and wet; Okay here is where I draw the line.

i just head to the dugout and grind and grind until i find that spark i need to get motivated.

I need no motivation....I will throw in almost any conditions (not during a storm with lots of lightning)....all I need is someone to throw with....I do not like playing alone (no one to see all my horrible shots, or the good ones).
I played on the coldest day of the year, last year, and had a pretty good round....of course, in southern Mississippi, even the coldest day was only about 35 degrees.

Last week I played a round and the temperature was over 90 degrees with 85% humidity....man was it hot, no wind to speak of, which is very unusual for the Gulf Coast. Conditions were brutal, pouring sweat the entire round. I had my very first "clean" round, ever. No bogies, no missed shots, no OB, no penalties.....23 hole course, I carded 21 - 3's and 2 - 2's for a round of 67 on a par 69 (all 3's). And the very next day, I threw a +8, such is life....

Weather be darned, I wanna throw.....who wants to play????

I've never had a problem being motivated to play disc golf.

But to your question: if it's windy, I think about the practice I'm going to get with my windy weather discs. If it's raining, I think of how great my indoor putting practice is going to be. :)

I don't mind playing in not-perfect weather, but I will typically avoid casual rounds if it's pouring rain. I find that my motivation to play in crappy weather is a lot higher in the days leading up to a tournament because I feel like those rounds have more value.

For things that I think are necessary but have trouble starting, I try to schedule them around other daily activities or chores so that they become part of my routine. I will also bargain with myself if I'm really not into it... "If you practice putting today, you can take the next two days off if you feel like it." But it's the getting started part that I need motivation for, not the actual activity. Once I'm out there, I'm having fun.

Disc golf is a hobby, and it's supposed to be enjoyable. If you really don't like playing in bad weather, why force yourself to do it? But if you actually enjoy yourself once you are out playing in the not-perfect weather, it's worth it to push yourself to overcome the initial obstacle of actually getting yourself to the course to play.