• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you thank your TD's ?

Ziggy

Double Eagle Member
For all the haters, whiners, and self-absorbed what's in it for me..

When's the last time you thanked your TD?

For the rest of you..

I'm interested in your stories about how you wined and dined your TD's for putting on a tireless and thankless task so you could enjoy!

For the TD in you, what were some nifty thanks on your receiving end?

You know, I never understood the importance of thanking a TD until I was a TD.

From that point forward, I have and will continue to thank every TD of every tournament I play in.

I always try to personaly thank them, engage them in a little pleasent conversation when they're not to busy, volenteer to help, buy some merch, and generaly support them whenever possible.

Thanks TD's:clap:

Just like Thrembo said, I usually try to thank them for putting on a very fun event and will buy at least a disc or two at whatever tournament if they are selling any.

I try to help out wherever I can (checking scores, handling check-in, etc.) and be a responsible player (Show up at least 15 minutes before check-in is scheduled to end, attend and pay attention at the players meeting, those sorts of things).

Then I make a point to thank them in person in as direct a way as possible. This last part I try to do for any organized action, be it TDs of sanctioned events or just the guy running Wednesday night doubles. A few kind words really do go a long way.

One particularly nice gesture is to help pack up and clean up at the end of the event.

As a TD, I'm grateful for every little bit of help someone offers. But when almost everyone has driven off and I'm standing exhausted amidst the debris, having a player who is also no doubt exhausted help pick up trash or take down a banner or retrieve a water cooler or load stuff in the car is just about priceless.

Honestly, the best thank you I've gotten as a TD was a player coming up to me after an event and asking if the price was going to be the same the same tournament next year. Not knowing the answer and not really knowing what he was driving at, I asked him why he'd ask. He said he wanted to know how much he had to give me right then and there to officially sign up for next year's tournament so he wouldn't miss out.

I couldn't justify taking his money without knowing any details about the tournament, but the gesture was enough to send the message. If he felt that good about the time he had that he wanted to lock himself into playing it again the next year, we must have been doing something right in the way we ran things. It certainly helped with the motivation to put on the next tournament...more so than when players decide to publicly nitpick things online from safely behind their keyboards.

My TD usually thanks me...
...because I'm his right hand at every tournament :D

This. I have helped out a few and even received some free plastic and clothing, but I have never given the TD anything. I have brought food for all competitors to help the TD out, bought prizes, and I have sponsored a hole, but never actually given the TD anything. I may have to change that at my next tourney that Jrawk is not running.

As a TD I agree whole heartily with both of these sentiments.

As a TD, I'm grateful for every little bit of help someone offers. But when almost everyone has driven off and I'm standing exhausted amidst the debris, having a player who is also no doubt exhausted help pick up trash or take down a banner or retrieve a water cooler or load stuff in the car is just about priceless.

Honestly, the best thank you I've gotten as a TD was...he wanted to know how much he had to give me right then and there to officially sign up for next year's tournament so he wouldn't miss out.

As a player I always try to preregister when available, bring a CTP donation of some sort, show up on time and lend a hand however I can. I also always shake hands and thank the TD at the end of the event.

As a TD, I've been on the receiving end of a fair share of "thank you" conversations. I have also had players/club members offer assistance every now and then, but for the most part, my wife and I handle everything as a pretty good team.

I have to admit, I've only had a chance to thank other TD's in person twice, but I just started attending events held out of of my area :) The next one I go to, I'll be sure to have something sweet for the TD.

As a TD other than hearing 'Thank You' from players, I one time had one of the winners give me their credit with the merchant I was using. I let my kids use that credit to buy their own bags and some discs. Other than that I've had some players buy me lunch.

The TD for our local league I help him out with almost everything, and hook him up with plastic. TDs from other cities, personally thanked them at every tournament that I've played in so far. I haven't TDed any tournaments but I've helped run local ace runs and bag tag rounds... so I know it's not a fun or easy experience.

One way to thank a TD is to not do certain things like bitch and moan about how lousy the payout was, especially when you got a super sweet players pack, or the entry fee was cheap.

I do always try to say thank you on the local message boards when I can.

Latest posts