• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far can you comfortably & accurately throw?

Putters to about 230ish, Mids to about 260ish, Teebirds to about 300ish, and Orcs to about 330ish. I can rip to about 380' in the field, but like others, even on wide open holes I get to about 350'.

Field work with putters and mids has really helped to improve everything else, though.

I'm accurate out to about 300-310' with a Valk. I can throw it another 25-35', but I need it to be an open hole where a miss isn't going to punish me, because a miss is going to happen a decent amount if I try to really rip it out there.

For the course closest to my house, I throw a driver 3 times and none of them need the extra distance.

The next course from my house I throw a driver 5 times and all 5 are wide open.

Last edited:
Accurate to about 350-360. I can crank out a 400+ footer once in a while if conditions are right, but accuracy suffers after I put everting into a throw. That being said there's only about 6-8 holes around here locally where that even matters.

Putter accuracy is what is killing me. One day i ll sink every putt, next day I can't make in from 15 ft away.

I can throw 350 or so accurately. In an open field I can reach 450 or so in the general direction I want. I honestly believe that if you can put a disc anywhere you want up to 300 ft you could win advanced.

Distance is cool, but I would rather put a disc on any line out to 300 ft.

@david, thank you for the laugh at the 8' comment! We really need a like button.

"Average" is pretty vague. Average of what? All disc golfers? Tournaments players? DGCR forum posters? Serious disc golfers (whatever that might mean)?

But the answer is whether you can find a way to improve your distance is probably, yes. Subject to your own athletic ability, of course. If you're a reasonably fit and athletic male, aged 12-50 or 60, with practice and technique you'll probably throw further.

In answer to your general question, I drive about 260' consistently and fairly accurately, and will occasionally push 300'. But age and injuries have taken their toll; 12 years ago I was driving 300-330', and that with DX Eagles and Gazelles, meaning my decline has been even greater than it looks, but masked by technology.

This is very important to remember. On DGCR, your assumptions might be right. Of all disc golfers, I'd say a majority don't throw past 275. Serious. You gotta realize we've got alot of great disc golfers that use this site, and a ton of beginner to mediocre disc golfers that don't know this site exists.

As far as I go, distance is a slow and gradual process. I currently sit around 300' max on a golf line with a bit further on a distance line. Quite often tho, even with an open hole, I still use a golf line because it just feels more comfortable and consistent.

For the last year I've felt like a non throwing scrub coming on these forums, but I don't feel so bad after reading this. I'm still very average, but all this honesty is a breath of fresh air.

We should be this way more often.

You would be amazed by the percentage of disc golfers that can't throw 350' regularly.

Exactly. I can throw 350' regularly but i sacrifice accuracy when i do. Unless we are in a wide open field, with no wind, I'm not gunning for 350'. I'd rather be able to hit 300' and know exactly where its going to land

When I first started lurking on these forums I took the "disc down, throw putters and mids" approach that is pretty widespread. As a result I find myself throwing a lot of slower discs when compared to people I play against. I throw my KC Pro Aviar and Nova on holes up to 275', McPro Roc3s out to about 325' unless the line requires something different and my Teebirds are good out to 380'. If I have a lot of space to work with, or it's a hyzer shot, then I'll pull out my PDs, Destroyers and a King to consistently get out to 450', but once I get faster than the PD accuracy suffers. I just don't have enough time in the field with the Destroyers to get them on accurate lines. On the majority of courses around here, the speed 10+ stuff gets thrown less than 5 times a round.

Throwing slower discs helped me a ton, not only with distance, but form and control.

Get ready for a load of donkey crap, internet distance, and dreams posted below. Subtract eehhhhh, 100ft from most people's answers and it might be more accurate.
:clap: lulz :p

I average about 260 with my Roc3 and 300 with my Teebird.

On a good drive I can get my Bird out to 330ish. I think I can hit 350 on occasion with a distance driver but I have always struggled with distance and I'm working on breaking my barriers.

I have also recently noticed that I don't try to throw really hard, though, so this is probably holding me back. This is sometimes for fear of grip-locking the shot or just trying to not strain myself.

So there you go. No fisherman stories here.

FWIW, I can throw 250 regularly, and accurately. I've hit 310-315 in the field, but on the course I can't seem to duplicate quite that distance. Max on the course is probably around 280-300.

After reading this thread I went out to play today at my home course and tried to pay attention to the question. It might have gotten in my head a little. On the longest hole of the course, I really tried to hit my max D, and put a little anny on my Inertia, which resulted in it tracking right into the fairway of the hole coming back the other way. I probably threw 340' on the shot, but it was obviously no where near what I wanted. After that I threw either my putter or my mids on the next 5 holes and figured I'm pretty comfortable with them at around 250-280, and that's mostly with my mids. Anything beyond that and I think I'm trying too hard to get it to the basket and my shots go a little off course. That might be with the exception of my Volt, which I am pretty confident most days out to about 300'.

I've hit 450' before, cant seem to push much past that.

Too old I think.

Accurately im comfortable with 375-400'

Get ready for a load of donkey crap, internet distance, and dreams posted below. Subtract eehhhhh, 100ft from most people's answers and it might be more accurate...

Oh no, that puts me at 140 feet.

Judging by the way I've been playing lately, accurately and comfortably, about 15 feet.

I can hit about 300 feet comfortably and accurately. After that distance, I have to use warp speed or understable discs that simply aren't reliable when it comes to accuracy. On open holes, it's up to about 360, but no way I try it if there are trees or water on either side.

I'd say about 320 to 330. I've lost some distance over the years but I usually keep it in the fairway. Now putting....

Thank you everyone for the responses and the input. I am much more okay with my 200'-250' accurate drives now, BUT I will be working on getting them out to 300' accurately. I've seen a few guys throw 400' on my local disc golf courses driving range or the football field after it has had its lines painted on it. Thanks again to everyone that gave a honest answer. I will keep watching this forum to see if anything changes. I am interested to know how everyone measures out there how far their throws go?

Latest posts