• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far is average with proper technique?

Do they call it the royale with cheese or the quarter pounder over there?

"No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the f*ck a Quarter Pounder is."

Although, no we actually do call it the quarter pounder. The mixed up world of British measurements.

And every year the pounds you gain become harder to gain because of the cost in pounds gaining. Or something.

I fear I won't quite become the average man unless I get a lot of those royales down me in the next 6 months washed down with some Le Big macs and a Sprite or two. Maybe a Big Kahuna burger too, i'v heard they're the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast

Glad to see that Pulp fiction references are still relevant.
I will answer the OP with this: Average athletic male throws with good form-probably 320-350 ft. With experience probably right below or at 400.
For me, non athletic average male with some experience-280-310 average. 250 with putters, 280 with mids, 300ish with speed 7, 8, 9 or 10 drivers.
And for some of you, here's an Imodium. Give it to your keyboard, because there's a lot of ****e coming out of it.

What do you guys do in the "field" to practice? Do you have a known distance to measure each throw? Go to a football field and throw field goal to field goal?

My average throw is usually 300-350 feet.

Lately I've been going to a field to practice, which by the way, is hard to find in the DFW area that I can empty my bag once or twice without being interrupted. But, right now I am just concentrating on throwing a well controlled throw. Open field, flat and no wind, I've been getting 377-382 as my farthest so far consistently. I am not sure what I need to do in order to hit 400. I throw a star wraith and a blizzard boss as my go to distance drives. I always concentrate on releasing the disc as flat as possible. In order to get max distance, should I be throwing them slightly on an anhyzer? I try to keep the discs maybe 10-15 feet above the ground because on a course, usually there are trees so I figured keeping that in mind during practice would help in actual play.

Yep, I like to see my throws go as planned, even if they're shorties. And I don't care about beating other players as much as I do beating my own scores. More distance would often help me with that, but I don't know if much more is realistic. If I get too wrapped up in how far I'm throwing it's easy to get discouraged, especially knowing that the "average guy" should be able to throw 450'. I don't think I'm alone in my position, and wonder how many guys are going to read this thread and feel like crap or work so much (as RobA hints) on distance that they forget about disc golf.

You're right too about video vs. self-help. But, I'm far too self-conscious to put video of meself out there, so I'll plug along as I can.

I've played DG on-and-off (mostly off) for years, and my RHBH form is pretty awful. I'm used to reading how people have been playing for a couplng to break the 350-foot barrier, while I probably have never broken the 150-foot barrier throwing RHBH. I mostly throw RHFH and can get up to around 240 feet with fairway drivers. On Sunday I played but stopped throwing right handed because I had elbow pain setting in, and I actually threw BH better as a lefty.

Anyway, I posted a video of my sad BH form way back when in the DGR forum. I'm trying to post it here because misery loves company. If I can't get the video to play, I'll come back to try and fix it later.

I'll be working on my form again and am hopeful I'll make some progress. Don't throw in the towel yet.

In order to get max distance, should I be throwing them slightly on an anhyzer? I try to keep the discs maybe 10-15 feet above the ground because on a course, usually there are trees so I figured keeping that in mind during practice would help in actual play.

Max distance is not exactly what most folks on here are talking about. Max d, is traditionally throwing a high turn over shot that rides the fine line between a cut roller and fading out. The longest of my max-d shots are thrown higher than normal, and I want them to break back right for as long as possible. Some people like to throw OS discs on anhyzer, some (like me) prefer more neutral stuff that will flip over (like a teebird or a Tern).

https://youtu.be/HNiXit_8M9g?t=61

I personally like throwing something like a teebird on a slight hyzer, with enough power to get it to crest the trajectory turning right - then let it flatten and hopefully glide for a long time.

I literally throw that shot maybe once every 4-5 rounds. It takes quite a bit of room and height - which most courses I like do not have. Plus, that shot can go wildly wrong. Fun, but can be disaster.

My field work is almost always a mix of putters, mids trying to work on accuracy. I do like to try to throw lots of obstructed lines that promote accuracy. Distance work for me is usually focusing on low straight drives. If I can keep a disc in the air for 390' and have it travel straight and 10' off the ground, I feel like that is a huge benefit to my golf game.

To expand on what HUB said for Tmcalist...

I like fields that have markers, which tends to be soccer fields. These are often either 300' or 330', and usually there are fences just past the lines or other landmarks for better judging further distances. I'll pace out approx how far I think these landmarks are, and afterwards Google Earth/map it to see how far it says. After throwing at multiple places, if you're getting the same #'s within 10' or so, you can be pretty sure you're throwing that far. Now I can throw at a new field and throw either a mid or something like a Firebird and have a pretty good idea if it's a 300' or 330' field and go from there. Once you know your general disc distances, which are probably within 15' of the same distance on any normal shot with that disc, you'll know how far you throw and be really good at judging what to throw and when.

I like throwing all my discs in practices, and never just focusing on high speed stuff only. If I do that and go back to putters I'll be torquing them. Also it's a good idea to throw every disc you have on slight hyzer, flat, and slight anhyzer releases. You'll learn way more about their flight paths and see which discs respond to angles the best (does it want to go straight and power through a hyzer release? Does it want to go left no matter what? Does an anny release give you a smooth left to right or does it give you a flex shot to increase distance and still go straight-ish?).

As far as your distance...throwing an anny flex type shot will possibly give you a bit more distance, but I consider this bonus distance. It's not increasing your power, it's learning a new (and more difficult in some ways) line to throw. If you're throwing 350-375' with drivers, and probably up to 350' with fairways, you're at a very common plateau. The way to throw farther is to increase arm speed from here...and that is done by getting into better athletic positions to transfer and accept your weight which will rocket your arm out there. Anyways, that's what I commonly think holds people back when they are at that distance, and it is what it was for me as well. Having to learn to have better balance and weight transfer. Watch Sidewinder22's stuff, you're at that point now.

If you're getting 270 out of putters and 300ish out of fairway drivers, your problem is actually very simple and easy to fix. You're getting drivers nose up. Check the disc's position in your hand and your wrist angle to make sure they're proper vs what are shown in this post -

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2868528&postcount=6

Drivers are far more nose angle sensitive than putters and mids are so it's crucial to have this part right with them.

What do you guys do in the "field" to practice? Do you have a known distance to measure each throw? Go to a football field and throw field goal to field goal?

My average throw is usually 300-350 feet.

FWIW I gave up on the fields really. I will hit some open spaces next to local courses on baseball fields or whatever but honesetly hitting a birdie with a drop in putt on a 400'+ hole will do the same as mashing out every disc wide open. I just hit a local course when its not busy or let groups play through and mash on my drivers brining multiples with as a "work" session. Its much more valuable IMO to throw these discs on golf lines vs virtual golf lines yet still try and stretch the D.

One of my practice spots has a backstop for target shooting. I measured it with the GPS throw measuring feature in uDisc. It's been awhile, but it was about 270' +/- 12'. I stand on the back porch and aim for the wooden square. Often I'll measure a solid, easy to see landmark with that app, mark of the ends of a pretend tee pad with 2 minis, and throw.

Last edited:
If you're getting 270 out of putters and 300ish out of fairway drivers, your problem is actually very simple and easy to fix. You're getting drivers nose up. Check the disc's position in your hand and your wrist angle to make sure they're proper vs what are shown in this post -

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2868528&postcount=6

Drivers are far more nose angle sensitive than putters and mids are so it's crucial to have this part right with them.

I'm willing to embrace the nose up issue, but I have a good grip alignment. The rim rests just under my index knuckle and standing still it looks good. That said, I wonder if I'm pulling up when trying to accelerate late. Maybe because it's a driver I try to punch too hard and throw high? I'll be focusing on that next time I record. I'm still confused about about thumb push and if that is part of my puzzle.

I used to focus on pinching by pressing.my index finger into my thumb, but think maybe I should push the thumb down onto the index finger. I try, but muscle memory often gets the better of me with so much going on.

I'm willing to embrace the nose up issue, but I have a good grip alignment. The rim rests just under my index knuckle and standing still it looks good. That said, I wonder if I'm pulling up when trying to accelerate late. Maybe because it's a driver I try to punch too hard and throw high? I'll be focusing on that next time I record. I'm still confused about about thumb push and if that is part of my puzzle.

I used to focus on pinching by pressing.my index finger into my thumb, but think maybe I should push the thumb down onto the index finger. I try, but muscle memory often gets the better of me with so much going on.

Try aligning it too nose down. It's not just where it is relative to your knuckles, but the angle of the disc relative to your forearm. You may get a different perspective trying to align it too nose down, seeing it go into the ground 100' away, and backing off on the angle slightly on the next throw until it's dialed in. Fast drivers love a nose down grip, and everyone's hand is a different size and shape.

I have above average athletic ability, not great form, but also not horrible, and have been playing for the past year and a half. I only drive around 300'...

I've had big problems with nose-up flights. I recently realized I was dipping the disc as I pulled it across my body (the disc itself, not its attitude)--the arc back up at the end of the pull was really hosing me. Just food for thought.

I've had big problems with nose-up flights. I recently realized I was dipping the disc as I pulled it across my body (the disc itself, not its attitude)--the arc back up at the end of the pull was really hosing me. Just food for thought.

To the layman, that sounds like a super easy fix, just angle the nose down so the disc I level. Problem solved.

The thing I go back and forth on is the divide between what is fun to work on and what benefits my game. Now that I can count on 350' every time, the quickest way to take strokes off my game would 100% be to do just enough field work to maintain that and then spend every other second of practice on short game and putting. But, it's way more fun to do it the other way around.

On your local courses how many stokes would you save by adding 50' to your drive vs. hitting 15% more of your putts?

There's a lot to this.

A lot probably depends on your local courses. I'm convinced being able to throw 375 in my area is all you need to compete at a high level. The guys that average 350 or less, struggle to pick up a bunch of birdies that the longer throwers are capable of hitting.

Once you can hit 375, spend all the time on the short game. Screwing up an easy approach or circle putt is going to hurt almost as much as a short drive.

HyzerUniBomber & Slowplastic, I greatly appreciate your advice and help on the matter. I am going to try to practice what y'all have said in the field. Lately I've realized I do not flick my wrist at the end of my throw which is not giving me as much spin as I need. I've been trying to focus on that lately but I do realize when I concentrate on my wrist at the end of the shot I do tend to grip it and go right with it. But all in due time I guess.

Thanks again.

Latest posts