• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far is your max distance. what disc do you use for max

pretty much

I see a lot of local players and the vast majority are not going over 425. Buts it's tough to say what is going on around here. Most people posting on a dg forum are probably hardcore gofers, so I can buy these numbers.

I hope this thread goes on for a while, because feel like we're close to guys starting to post dick measurements.
I was thinking the same thing, because I don't think I've ever seen anyone throw that far. I am willing to believe some people here throw 400+ consistently but I think a lot of these numbers are wishful thinking. I decided to read some distance articles on DGR recently and I thought this one had some good points https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/sheddingdistancemyths.shtml

Currently there is somewhere in the ballpark of 5-20 players in the world that can actually throw a 500' golf shot with any kind of consistency and accuracy. Granted, this article is from 2006 but I think this assertion is still relevant.

When you step up and read the tee sign keep in mind that very few courses have accurate measurements. Many older courses were measured before GPS and laser range finders were available so they were often measured with old school distance wheel counters. I find that many course hole lengths vary wildly so judging your distance by a hole's listed length is usually not incredibly accurate.

Even when hole lengths are accurate the measurements are often for "how the hole is supposed to be played" and there are often local routes available that will cut off a substantial portion of the length or have periods of downhill terrain that allow for exaggerated carry on discs.

So anyway... not that I'm pooping on everybody's purported distances but sometimes it seems like %90 of the people on DGCR can throw over 400' when this is a very substantial feat to accomplish (to me, at least). I am just curious as to who really KNOWS the distances they are throwing and who just speculates based on inferences. Maybe I'm also salty when I see someone playing for 1 year who says they regularly throw 450' :\

But anyway, I have a 12 inch penis

Im sure a lot of people can really throw over 400' here, but consistently? That might be another question. 330-370 is my consistent average, but 400-425 is my absolute max D done only a handful of times at best. Since this thread is about absolute max D, then yeah most of us here probably can really rip it and go past the 400.

So anyway... not that I'm pooping on everybody's purported distances but sometimes it seems like %90 of the people on DGCR can throw over 400' when this is a very substantial feat to accomplish (to me, at least). I am just curious as to who really KNOWS the distances they are throwing and who just speculates based on inferences. Maybe I'm also salty when I see someone playing for 1 year who says they regularly throw 450' :\

But anyway, I have a 12 inch penis

400' is not a substantial feat. 450' REGULARLY is substantial.

this coming from a guy who smoked and drinked and chucked until may of 2013 with no attempt to improve whatsoever. a little dedication and fieldwork, some coaching sense is all it takes. more for some than others. this is not a very athletic sport; i firmly believe most everybody has the potential to hit 350' which is also what blake T and others say. 400' is just a little bit beyond that.

Last edited:
400' is not that hard to achieve if you put the time in. 450-500' is a different story though. It's not a consistent golf line, but I've hit the 480'ish range a couple times on flat ground. I say "ish" because I measured with multiple tools that were all within +/- 10' of 480'. Give me a 425' straight open shot and I can hit within the circle 75% of the time with multiple lines.

400' is not a substantial feat. 450' REGULARLY is substantial.

this coming from a guy who smoked and drinked and chucked until may of 2013 with no attempt to improve whatsoever. a little dedication and fieldwork, some coaching sense is all it takes. more for some than others. this is not a very athletic sport; i firmly believe most everybody has the potential to hit 350' which is also what blake T and others say. 400' is just a little bit beyond that.
Right right. I think I am in the same boat. Haven't been taking the greatest care of myself in recent times and I think a little effort might go a long way. I believe that many people here throw 400+, I just am always curious about distance since I seem to have a hard time with it. Can I ask if there's anything in particular that helped your progress? I have been reading and watching videos like mad this winter and I am just dying to get out there and work on my game.

You do realize that most disc golfers will never throw 400 feet, right?

Most of the people I play with throw over 400'... But I also live in an area where most courses are long and open, so it's something that is needed to compete.

Right right. I think I am in the same boat. Haven't been taking the greatest care of myself in recent times and I think a little effort might go a long way. I believe that many people here throw 400+, I just am always curious about distance since I seem to have a hard time with it. Can I ask if there's anything in particular that helped your progress? I have been reading and watching videos like mad this winter and I am just dying to get out there and work on my game.

One thing is you have to throw higher than you probably feel comfortable doing. Most guys I know that throw 450+ consistently throw what looks like is going to be a high stall hyzer but then it flips up and over into an anny where it glides forever before it fades out.

Trying to throw a 450+ foot shot 10 feet off the ground takes an absolute cannon of an arm. I said I can throw it 425'ish pretty consistently but that is taking a line that is much more dangerous than I would normally want to throw on the course in a competitive round (i.e. huge hyzer flip or flex anny). Both have a big risk of never actually turning out of the hyzer and just stalling out way left of where you want.

I play with Hammer quite a bit and he can easily throw 450+ pure hyzers. I played with another guy TU night that parked a 490 foot uphill hole who I have seen throw 550 foot shots. No offense to either of them but naturally they also tend to miss big if the throw is offline so there is a huge risk reward when you can throw that far.

Point is I can throw 425-450 if I throw at 100% but I usually throw 375-400 instead since anything beyond that I can't claim to have enough accuracy on it. I would bet a lot of the other guys claiming distance in that range would say the same thing.

What helped me most was taking video of myself which helped me realize when what I practiced was simply practicing the wrong thing. Eventually I realized I needed to slow down. like super slow. So I tried a step with my right foot, a push with my left and a hop. That tiny little hop got my weight centered on my back foot without actually leaning back. Good. That's step 1. Then I would push off the foot, plant and drive. The hop helped me divide my form up into phases that made sense to me. the hardest part after that was not pulling too early and timing my reach back.

This was a revelation I had during the fall. I spent hours of fieldwork each week throwing until my hands hurt and I made little progress. A big part of it was my grip and wrist orientation too. I still do the hop. That is my entire run up, just a hop similar to Mike c's videos.. It generates a lot of power, just time your backswing properly. I know I've done it right when I feel a sort of weightlessness in my arm/upper body and then suddenly I'm getting whipped forward/around. it's a big delay and it didn't come naturally but now it just feels right.

Last edited:
One thing is you have to throw higher than you probably feel comfortable doing. Most guys I know that throw 450+ consistently throw what looks like is going to be a high stall hyzer but then it flips up and over into an anny where it glides forever before it fades out.

Trying to throw a 450+ foot shot 10 feet off the ground takes an absolute cannon of an arm. I said I can throw it 425'ish pretty consistently but that is taking a line that is much more dangerous than I would normally want to throw on the course in a competitive round (i.e. huge hyzer flip or flex anny). Both have a big risk of never actually turning out of the hyzer and just stalling out way left of where you want.

I play with Hammer quite a bit and he can easily throw 450+ pure hyzers. I played with another guy TU night that parked a 490 foot uphill hole who I have seen throw 550 foot shots. No offense to either of them but naturally they also tend to miss big if the throw is offline so there is a huge risk reward when you can throw that far.

Point is I can throw 425-450 if I throw at 100% but I usually throw 375-400 instead since anything beyond that I can't claim to have enough accuracy on it. I would bet a lot of the other guys claiming distance in that range would say the same thing.
Awesome! Although I was thinking about it and when you throw a huge distance line does that technically mean that you're throwing nose up? I was just wondering.

What helped me most was taking video of myself which helped me realize when what I practiced was simply practicing the wrong thing. Eventually I realized I needed to slow down. like super slow. So I tried a step with my right foot, a push with my left and a hop. That tiny little hop got my weight centered on my back foot without actually leaning back. Good. That's step 1. Then I would push off the foot, plant and drive. The hop helped me divide my form up into phases that made sense to me. the hardest part after that was not pulling too early and timing my reach back.

This was a revelation I had during the fall. I spent hours of fieldwork each week throwing until my hands hurt and I made little progress. A big part of it was my grip and wrist orientation too. I still do the hop. That is my entire run up, just a hop similar to Mike c's videos.. It generates a lot of power, just time your backswing properly. I know I've done it right when I feel a sort of weightlessness in my arm/upper body and then suddenly I'm getting whipped forward/around. it's a big delay and it didn't come naturally but now it just feels right.
Thanks :thmbup: I intend to do a form analysis video once the weather is nice. I know what you mean, I was throwing yesterday and I could definitely feel when I got good snap on the disc. I still have a lot to work on, though!

400'-450' pure hyzers on low and high lines. How do you people achieve this? There's a hole at my course that is a very straight 390' but plays more like 400' because it is a gradual incline. I can never park it and I have to hyzer flip and pray I make it to the cirlce for a long putt. I see guys throwing teebirds on pure flat hyzers that just seem to have this magic line that tracks straight to the basket. I could throw the same disc and either hyzer short or turn it over past the intended line. There's some happy balance of power that I just cannot get and no amount of articles or videos has helped me to understand it. I'm starting to realize either you have it or you don't.

400'-450' pure hyzers on low and high lines. How do you people achieve this? There's a hole at my course that is a very straight 390' but plays more like 400' because it is a gradual incline. I can never park it and I have to hyzer flip and pray I make it to the cirlce for a long putt. I see guys throwing teebirds on pure flat hyzers that just seem to have this magic line that tracks straight to the basket. I could throw the same disc and either hyzer short or turn it over past the intended line. There's some happy balance of power that I just cannot get and no amount of articles or videos has helped me to understand it. I'm starting to realize either you have it or you don't.

Nose angle has a lot to do with low line distance. And just raw arm speed.

At 28, my longest toss was parking hole #3 at the Black Course in Moundsville, West Virginia (358 feet). For the long bombs, I throw forehand and generally reach for a Destroyer.

Most of the people I play with throw over 400'... But I also live in an area where most courses are long and open, so it's something that is needed to compete.

I heard a pro once say he estimated 70% of disc golfers throw under 300'. He put the number of golfers that could throw over 400' somewhere around 5%. I think that's pretty accurate. Not "advanced" disc golfers. Not DGCR members. And not tournament players. Just disc golfers. So I'd say 400' is quite the achievement.

I heard a pro once say he estimated 70% of disc golfers throw under 300'. He put the number of golfers that could throw over 400' somewhere around 5%. I think that's pretty accurate. Not "advanced" disc golfers. Not DGCR members. And not tournament players. Just disc golfers. So I'd say 400' is quite the achievement.

I guess me and a lot of people out here in west Texas are 5%ers then!

I went and followed the lead card for their final 9 holes at the WV Open in 2007. This was for the round before the finals.

I saw Mike Moser put his tee shot on Woodshed #12 at least 30' past the basket. The hole is measured at 416'. It plays up and over a rise and then back down to the pin. I also saw Tony Ellis get within 20' of pin high on #17, which is as 398' hole that plays at least 15-20' uphill.

Now Moser's well known on the East coast as a great player. I don't know much about Tony other than he was also the Co-TD for the tournament, and still made it to the finals. Plus Tony was a really nice guy.

Anyway, those are probably the two longest throws that I've ever seen. I'm not often on the course with many other players being in a dead zone. But those were both impressive throws to me.

I had a lesson with Henry Childress and watched him throw Star Destroyers from the practice basket at Bradford to and sometimes past the hole #2 tee. Yes that is going on a slight downhill grad but that had to be close to 500-550 feet. And the air displacement when he threw sounded like a mini sonic boom.

On flat ground I get a disc on a straight line out to 325 or so but if I throw it on the right anny angle that will flip up over and come back I hit 350-360 pretty regular but like others have said. My control is pretty iffy. I hang a lot of stuff out too far left and it doesn't come back hard enough.

My revelation was totally relaxing my arm and keeping a pretty loose wrist. My turn and arm motion cause my wrist to bend inward. I time that to when it reflexively bounces out that's when I pull and snap. BOOM.

The timing comes and goes a lot though. I haven't put in enough field work to be as consistent as I want to be. Some days it's just off. Slowing way, way, way down really helps especially after my "x" step as my plant leg goes forward and into the plant. I concentrate on doing that at a controlled pace.

I went and followed the lead card for their final 9 holes at the WV Open in 2007. This was for the round before the finals.

I saw Mike Moser put his tee shot on Woodshed #12 at least 30' past the basket. The hole is measured at 416'. It plays up and over a rise and then back down to the pin. I also saw Tony Ellis get within 20' of pin high on #17, which is as 398' hole that plays at least 15-20' uphill.

Now Moser's well known on the East coast as a great player. I don't know much about Tony other than he was also the Co-TD for the tournament, and still made it to the finals. Plus Tony was a really nice guy.

Anyway, those are probably the two longest throws that I've ever seen. I'm not often on the course with many other players being in a dead zone. But those were both impressive throws to me.

Some of the pros can throw aviars 400+ these days. Ridiculous. For me my max distance is just under 400 in the air and probably around 500 if I hit a roller just right. 400 air shot, usually a beat star wraith. Roller with a champ tern or champ sidewinder.

Latest posts