• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How hard is it for you to get your group to do something different?

This thread just gave me a great idea, but it has to be played on a course with a low risk of losing discs. It would also obviously have to wait until after this virus subsides quite a bit.

A bag swap round where the winner of the hole picks who throws from what bag. In the event of a tie, bags slide down the card. No real restrictions on the contents of the bag (though I could see a bag full of Stegos, Zones, Forces, etc. being a problem for those who don't throw 400'+). Could also make it to where each bag has to have an OS, S, US disc for each category (putter, mid, fairway/control, and distance), but that could also be relative to the player's distance, so a Buzzz may be my S mid, while it may be a lower power player's OS mid.

This thread just gave me a great idea, but it has to be played on a course with a low risk of losing discs. It would also obviously have to wait until after this virus subsides quite a bit.

A bag swap round where the winner of the hole picks who throws from what bag. In the event of a tie, bags slide down the card. No real restrictions on the contents of the bag (though I could see a bag full of Stegos, Zones, Forces, etc. being a problem for those who don't throw 400'+). Could also make it to where each bag has to have an OS, S, US disc for each category (putter, mid, fairway/control, and distance), but that could also be relative to the player's distance, so a Buzzz may be my S mid, while it may be a lower power player's OS mid.
Related to this but safer under current conditions would be for each player to carry 12 discs, 6 in the higher speed category and 6 in the lower speed including putters. Number each disc from 1 thru 6 within a category. For each throw, player gets to chooses hi or lo category then rolls a six sided die to determine the number disc they must throw. Provides good practice to see how your own discs work for throws where you might not have chosen that disc.

The people that I play rounds with resist taking any time to work on mechanics in order to become better players.
I have never once been able to convince any of them to practice throwing discs in a field rather than playing a round. Some of them have terrible form, and issues with understanding how their discs fly for them. But, when I suggest just throwing our bags in a field, so that we can work out what is happening, nope.

I do all my fieldwork alone. And, I can outdrive all of them, and more sensibly choose a disc for a given situation.

I'm the opposite. I do field work more than I play. Like 20 field sessions to 1 round probably. And I putt every night after work no matter the weather because you don't only play rounds in good weather. And my friends could very likely beat me blindfolded, left handed, and throwing the first drive the wrong way.

I have a buddy that wants to play stuff like mentioned in the OP.....I never want to do it but cant tell you why.

Oh geez and while we are at it.. Jungle Golf!!!

I haven't played that in years... we only play in winter when the course is empty... one of us usually has a ript deck we never use. Our first 9 is tonal and reasonably short. Take cards ace thru 9 out of a deck. Stand at teepad one, draw card, play to that hole. Repeat from next tee until the cards are gone.

This one time we were playing for 2 or 5 bucks, I can't remember, but three pairs. It was epic, there was maybe one hole we could have played longer, but we were covering the whole course almost every time it took 3.5 hrs!! I remember a hole we took a 12 and gained two strokes on the 14's , by using the 10 thru 13 fairways.

The last hole was #1 pin, I lasered a Magic about 70' for a one stroke gain and a three way tie!!!!!! Haha we just gave up after that. Maybe we aren't that boring haha.

Last edited:
If weird formats aren't fun to the guys I normally play with, then I'm not going to get upset about it.

I'll just do those fun things on my own - I love playing rounds with putters only, mids only, or 1 disc, or all forehands, etc. Not everyone has to like that. I still enjoy regular rounds or just throwing practice shots

How often do you try to get your group to 'play something different'? That might be the issue if you are doing it a lot. Some people just want to play. Our group does random doubles every Sunday and the third Sunday we add RIPT Revenge into it. We remove any cards that won't work well with doubles and there's no points or drawing other cards. Each person gets one card to play (so being doubles, that means you have two cards to play). The card played affects both team members.

So far, everyone has been game for it and taken part...even though the better players get 'carded' more often. They have used it as way to improve themselves. Gotta throw off-hand...cool, might need that some day. Gotta tee off with a putter on a par 5 - might need to do that some day. Gotta switch drives with the other team....cool, I've never had to throw from that spot before...let's see what I can do in case I'm ever in that type of spot.

When trying to convince your group to try something, find a way it can help their game. Putters only? Back to basics: making sure your form is the best it can be and working on strategy...instead of throwing a driver on a hyzer, maybe have to throw this other route so the putter doesn't land in trouble (instead of going long over water, maybe lay up or go around).

My local scene has a "Manic Mondays" league at a kind of shorter woodsy local course where the whole format is doing goofy non-standard play, like some rounds are putters only, others its one disc (of your choosing) rounds, some rounds it's nothing but CTP, or other one-hole rules like gotta throw opposite hand on this hole, or gotta drive forehand on this hole if you're a backhand player and vice versa, just weird stuff of the like, different every week.

Other than that, locally it's mostly just standard play, a good amount of dubs, but this is kind of a neat little twist that gets played during league season (covid-permitting this year, of course)

I don't have a regular enough group to suggest much of anything the 4-5 guys I play with a lot are hard enough to drag up and down a course anyway.

I fall into the trap of thinking that a "regular" round is the best way to maximize my time.

I found some of my more unique rounds really helped my regular game, especially single disc or putter only rounds. My time is a little limited too but if I can get on a course and throw the same disc for 50+ throws it really lets me get to know what I can or can't do with that disc. I have discs that I might throw two or three times a round. It would take me twenty five rounds of regular play before I get so many throws I really get a feel for it. It sort of maximizes my time by playing those single disc rounds.

Jungle golf!!!!!!! Again Jungle Golf!!!!!!!!!! I forgot how much I used to love that s***. More than anything else.

JUNGLE GOLF!!!!!!! :D

Damn I wish I still had the knees for it! :)

I have a hard time getting ppl to play from the Longs. I dont even feel like i played the course if we play shorts :/

I never been offered to play any disc related games...

I started our annual Mulligan Stew event in 1992 which is held around St. Patrick's Day. Players get the option to take just one rethrow (mulligan) on any shot on each hole. No extra cost. However, if you take a mulligan, you mark a dot on your scorecard. Total dots at the end of the round is used as a tiebreaker for ranking. In other words, if two players shot 55, the player who used fewer mulligans is ranked higher.

The BRP course where the annual Mulligan event has been held for the past 10 years or so, started a weekly flex league a few years ago using the mulligan format which has become a popular option for alternative play not just in Minnesota but in other parts of the country. The mulligan option is sometimes called Cali or Oddman in random draw doubles where the odd player without a partner gets one mulligan per hole.

In Cali format, the player can use either their original throw or mulligan throw in the event the mulligan throw was even worse. In strict Mulligan format, the player has to use the mulligan throw even if it is worse than the original.

Chuck, I hate to have to correct you, but

In Cali Doubles format the single player must use the second shot of taken. In Wisconsin, back in the late 80's or early 90's we thought that wasn't a true best shot format. So we started to give the single player the option to use the second shot but we called it Midwest Doubles.

In Cali Doubles format the single player must use the second shot of taken. In Wisconsin, back in the late 80's or early 90's we thought that wasn't a true best shot format. So we started to give the single player the option to use the second shot but we called it Midwest Doubles.
Since there's no official arbiter of what Cali means, even from Cali residents, we're just sharing what it has meant in our DG communities. I hadn't heard of Midwest Doubles but it's a nice addition to the DG lexicon. I will say that Houck and I wrote the original manual describing the rules for various doubles formats, some which we created, back around 1992. But I don't recall that Cali was defined one way or the other. Regardless what you call it, the key thing here is to inform players what's allowed in a doubles or mulligans event.

So that is where the term Midwest Doubles comes from. I thought it was a Minnesota thing seeing how old the courses are in that area, some of the oldest permanent courses outside of California.

Last edited:

Round here it's "best shot" Cali.. I'm not sure if we know where this "Midwest" is you speak of... but we agree.. Take the best shot, why not?! It's hard enough playing Cali.

I play lots of weird things by myself;
Putter only rounds
Condor rounds
Starter pack challenge
Three disc rounds
Etc. . . .
And I think they're fun and actually eye opening but, trying to get the guys I play with on a regular basis to do it and it's like pulling teeth.

They all thought the CCDG starter pack videos were cool, but can't get them to do it.

Do any of you have the same problem?

Seems like everybody is so damn serious all the time, lugging around there 30 discs. Does anybody just so stuff for the fun of it anymore?

I just recently got a coworker into disc golf and he has a lot to learn. I like to have some form of competition so I come up with rules that make it competitive but fair.

Unfamiliar discs
Lefty
He uses short tee, I use long
BH <-i can't backhand to save my life so this is actually good for me.

Last time we played I used an Archer only and set a rule that I had to make par or take the loser shot (currently habanero vodka). That thing was flippy as hell. Yeah I had to take it.

I always keep a driver and putter stashed in both my cars just to stay prepared for unexpected playing time.

Most of my "fun format" rounds are solo.
My regular group is open to fun formats, but we're all relatively close by standard rules so we have good competition.

No issue with Cali/mulligan rounds when casual, but I don't like playing for money in that format because it eliminates the need to make each shot count.

Latest posts