• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did it take you to throw far?

Was throwing out to 425-450 after a couple years of playing... With a year of that playing tourneys.
After just getting injured 3 weeks ago and having to switch to left hand... I've gotten to play last weekend and today. Already putting drives out to 300 with my off hand and it's only my second time ever throwing lefty. Super akward the first time still shooting a+7 at local 9 hole. today felt much better and shot a +3 getiing 2 of my first birdies left handed!!! Cannot wait till tomorrow :)

100ft - Day 1
200ft - Day 2
300ft - Week 3
850ft - When I got the internet

It probably took me less than one year to get to 300' (throwing all sidearm though)

It took about 5 years to get to 400'.

After another couple years I am finally going to start breaking 400' consistently (with PDs) and 450' with distance drivers. I have had some very promising results in the field lately, mostly revolving around footwork and lower body timing.

It is rather strange as I took about 6 months completely off from playing and coming back my distance is feeling great.

Once I learned how to properly throw a disc it took me a few weeks.. Now I need to work on consistency. I wish I knew how to backhand throw :)

It's been so long since I started that I don't remember, LOL. I started in 1989, the Stingray was the hot distance disc during that time. I would say it took me about 5 months to hit 400 with a Stingray. I would have to buy a new Stingray about once a week due to them beating up so quickly.

500+ feet is faaar, and not many golfers can get that distance in my experience. Honest question: how is it that you can break 500' but you're not able to break a 900 rating? No offense intended.

I didn't say I can break 500'. I do throw much too far to be sub-900. From 150', it usually takes me 3 to get up and down. That would be why.

Last edited:
Also, I'd like you to think about the number of courses you play that are designed to create scoring separation between a 400' drive and a 500' drive.

Took me probably 3 years to LEGIT reach 500ft when I needed to. Really learned to do it about a week before I went out and won the Disc Nation big-D contest with a 400ft throw(into a 40mph headwind). This was also ZAMs first time to video tape me falling down. He now has a folder of my falls for his own leverage.

Basically went like this
1 year - 400ft
6 months - didn't play, torn AC joint(fyi don't dive into racquetball walls)
6 months - to hit 400ft again
1 year-ish - 500ft

I delved into throwing theory and videos. I tried it all. I learned it all. Spent a lot of hours on the disc nation driving range long before I worked there. The knowledge available now, especially on DGR is light years ahead of what was public knowledge 2-3 years ago.

2 years later I am still chasing being able to hit 600ft on command, it comes and goes based on how much I train my timing. 550ft is pretty dialed in. You really do need ideal conditions to blast shots out past 575-600ft for 99.9999% of the population. There are freaks who can do 600ft easy, but most them do it for a paycheck every weekend.

I didn't say I can break 500'. I do throw much too far to be sub-900. From 150', it usually takes me 3 to get up and down. That would be why.

Distance comes naturally to some while other parts of the game may not, so it's not surprising to see such an imbalance. On the other hand, there's an unhealthy fascination in our sport with distance. For many it's the primary focus, and their overall game suffers as a result.

Also, I'd like you to think about the number of courses you play that are designed to create scoring separation between a 400' drive and a 500' drive.

100' of additional power is a lot, and I'd guess that it would create a scoring separation on all but the shortest courses, as the stronger player would have more opportunities to 'disc down' and to throw control shots as opposed to power shots.

A lot of courses I play at, gaps actually get smaller in the 350-450' range. To make approaches more difficult I guess? I'm not really sure.

Either way, short game is what scores are made out of.

About 2.5 years to crush 400+ drives. But I'd loose that in a second if it meant I was a better putter/decision maker.

I've been playing steadily since June/July of last year and I average about 320' with my Teebirds. I've stopped throwing my "distance" drivers until I get my mids to 300' and my Teebirds to 350' consistently. Ever since signing up on DGCR and reading threads I've realized it's pointless to throw a speed 11/12 driver when you can only push it to ~325'.. so I stopped.. and I've been improving steadily ever since.

For some throwing far can be the biggest problem with their game. You get so use to throwing everything hard that when you come to a short tight hole it becomes nerve racking. I always got nervous on shorter holes if I couldn't throw a huge hyzer around or over everything. Now that I am older and I just started playing again my main focus is becoming a great tight/woodsy type of course player. I can still throw plenty far but it's not my main focus like it used to be. I always said I would give up 70 feet of distance to be dead accurate.

100' of additional power is a lot, and I'd guess that it would create a scoring separation on all but the shortest courses, as the stronger player would have more opportunities to 'disc down' and to throw control shots as opposed to power shots.

I only benefit from being able to throw straighter shots powering down. They aren't necessarily any more accurate, just a tighter line. Also, if you disc down, your screw-ups go to worse places; theres a reason pros throw discs that "hide form flaws". Theres also a reason that Feldy will throw a TB when he can get there with an aviar. Discing down is only advantageous in limited circumstances, and I think if you look it's touted more as a drill to improve form.

I only benefit from being able to throw straighter shots powering down. They aren't necessarily any more accurate, just a tighter line. Also, if you disc down, your screw-ups go to worse places; theres a reason pros throw discs that "hide form flaws". Theres also a reason that Feldy will throw a TB when he can get there with an aviar. Discing down is only advantageous in limited circumstances, and I think if you look it's touted more as a drill to improve form.
The advantage of throwing farther isn't that you have to disc down, it's that you have the option of discing down. If you have the option of using 80% of the discs in your bag to get to the basket you'll be much better prepared for many more situations than if you can only throw 20% of your discs far enough to get to most landing areas. Feldberg doesn't have to use a Teebird for those shots, he can use and Aviar, a Roc or a Firebird and he can choose the highest percentage shot. Someone who doesn't throw nearly as far is, at best limited to fairway driver and faster discs, so their options are way more limited. If the easiest line isn't conducive to a Teebird or Wraith shot then they're much less likely to make your shot.

One thing that's rarely talked about is that if you're actually getting snap, which means you'll be throwing really far, is that you get a bunch more consistency as well as distance. If you're actively hitting it you're more consistent that if its' happening passively becasue you can control it much better.

One thing that's rarely talked about is that if you're actually getting snap, which means you'll be throwing really far, is that you get a bunch more consistency as well as distance. If you're actively hitting it you're more consistent that if its' happening passively because you can control it much better.

Passively hitting is still slipping.

The advantage of throwing farther isn't that you have to disc down, it's that you have the option of discing down. If you have the option of using 80% of the discs in your bag to get to the basket you'll be much better prepared for many more situations than if you can only throw 20% of your discs far enough to get to most landing areas. Feldberg doesn't have to use a Teebird for those shots, he can use and Aviar, a Roc or a Firebird and he can choose the highest percentage shot. Someone who doesn't throw nearly as far is, at best limited to fairway driver and faster discs, so their options are way more limited. If the easiest line isn't conducive to a Teebird or Wraith shot then they're much less likely to make your shot.

I agree that it's an advantage. I just think it should be made more of an advantage based on how many more things you have to do right to gain that extra 100' of distance. You can't just go throw a lot and magically do it, like up-shots and putts.

330yds vs 280yds ball golf distance gains a stroke almost every par 5. Lands on the green on about 20% of par 4s. Also, it seems like 50yds and 100yds is a far bigger gap in ball golf than 100' and 200' in dg. (How many pros hit 100' putts? How many get 2s from 200'?)

I'm not saying we should be exactly like ball golf, but golf courses are designed to create score separation based on things like that. I feel like disc golf courses are still in the Teebird era while disc technology is in the Nuke era.

I could throw far very quickly. I still can't throw accurately, haha. Someone asked Shusterick how to throw far, his response "Stop caring about accuracy" So true.

First time picking up a disc golf disc: ~250ft. (I played many years of Ultimate previously, though).

After buying faster and fairly understable plastic (a week): ~280ft.

After learning how to reach back (a couple months): ~340ft.

After switching from a 3-finger grip to a 4-finger stacked grip: ~360ft.

After working on keeping weight centered over my feet, working on a cleaner lever-arm pull-through and release, working on wrist flexion and hammer pound drills, and doing lots of field work (3 years): 400ft.

:p
Your left handed, doesn't count:)