• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs do you really need in your bag?

what number of discs, feels most comfortable for you to have in your bag?

• Total voters
3 distance drivers - overstable, stable, understable
3 fairway drivers - overstable, stable, understable
3 midranges - overstable, stable, understable
2 putters- short putt, long putt

XXX "utility discs"- discs that come and go out of your bag for specific courses.

So somewhere between 11-15 I can see for a full complete bag. Of course many people have no need for real "distance" drivers so you can eliminate 3 from that.

I want to amend this...

This would be a day at the local course bag. Of course for Tourny's you would want to have multiple of your staple molds. Just going out for a day at the park though I can't fathom taking 4 of a single mold just to have a "backup".

And playing a course you've never played before would probably mean taking all your "utility" discs too since you don't know what you'll encounter.

I have been adding to my bag about 1 disc a week. Now it seems I have too many discs that I just carry around and cant find situations to use them. Is there a good system to weed-out unused discs. I feel like if I don't have all of them I will regret it when the time comes.

Now it seems I have too many discs that I just carry around and cant find situations to use them. I feel like if I don't have all of them I will regret it when the time comes.

I have felt the same way many times when you have many discs but you maybe only use less then half of them and they are just extra weight to your bag.

brooks carried three discs, feldberg carries 40+, there is no "right" amount. i throw 11-12 and carry a few more solely as backups.

As the title say how many discs do YOU really need in your bag.

In this case Feldberg probably has one of the widest shot selections out of his bag coz he NEED all of them for every task that he NEED to put them in. But he can still use them for different tasks also.So he need all of them but he also don´t need all of them.

There is a "right" amount, but only a right amount for each and one of us.

The right amount for me is (17).When I have 17 discs I feel very comfortable and I don´t need to worry if I lose a disc or two coz then I only need to pull a new on ready to go out of the bag.

2 Headwind Max Distance (Force/Boss)
2 Tailwind Max Distance (Wraith/Katana)
1 Predicatable Overstable (Predator)
1 Utility: Spike Hyzer/Skip (XXX)
2 Teebirds - 1 Beat 1 New
1 Leopard - Hyzerflip/Slow Turnover
1 Roller - Beat Illusion
3 Rocs - New, Stable, Understable
2 Wizards - SSS For putting, Medium for upshots

So I guess thats 15. I normally carry around 20-22 though because I like experimenting as well.

I carry around 8,
one putter
two mid range
five distance

I find I use all the discs at courses i know and when Im at a new course, I use a select few.

Banger GT
Stingray
Goblin
Valkyrie
Beast
dragon
Polaris LS
Monarch

The best number is the one that won't hurt your back AND doesn't feel too light AND never makes you say, "Damn, I can't believe I didn't put that disc in my bag today!" :p

2 bosses- one new and one beat
1 xcaliber- headwind shots
3 wraiths- one super stable, straight, and one beat (Main Driver)
2 firebirds- one beat and one new
2 valks- One pretty new and one beat mostly for rollers
2 leopards- one beat and one beat
5 rocs- from overstable to flippy
5 aviars- 2 for putting, 2 for upshots and 1 for driving

So i have 22 in my bag at all times

P.S. Katana may go in the bag for big drives and Tailwind shots have not decided yet

So all your midrange shots are covered by Rocs of different stages of wear? Are there different weights involved also to adjust stability?

I don't look at the number of discs but rather look at, having the right discs for the course in question when I play. I usually carry about 14 discs. Normally don't use them all during a round. The number doesn't change that much but some of the discs change from course to course. Generally, I'll have more putters and midranges combined than drivers for any course.

I carry 19. 4 fairway and 4 max D drivers, 8 midranges, and 3 putters. It's the perfect ratio of discs/weight for me. it's not too heavy, even on big hills, but gives me every kind of disc I could possibly want in a round. I could probably lighten up a bit but I'll stick with a good thing.

My boy Zilla won Bayville's Ice Bowl this past weekend (besting a few 1000-rated players, if I'm not mistaken) carrying only one disc, a putter he received in the player's package & had never thrown before.

NEED?!?

Interesting word isn't it. Based solely on the most simple, literal meaning of the word, only 1. Doesn't matter whatmold it is; to play a round you only NEED 1 disc.

But what fun would that be. An unscientific observation the responses in this post and in many many others tells me the number is about 8 dics. Certainly no more than 12.

The way I look at it I need one to go long and left, and one to go long and right. And that magical disc that goes long and dead STRAIGHT.

For me its the Flick, Surge SS FLX & Tracker (or Teebird)

Now here is where I might part company with a lot of folks. Maybe most of the courses I play are fairly short. 300 foot average distances. My point is I combine the thought process of fairway/mid, or maybe its long range fairway.

Too that end its for mids I go with a left, right straight - Something like the Buzzz, Meteor, Comet kind of trifecta. Coyote, Wasp, Impact??? This coming weekend its gonna be Impact, Buzz FLX & Core.

Then I always carry a "trouble" shot disc. Something really flexible that I can do a lot of things with and can rely on for that weird bending over on one leg FH under the branches of an evergreen through a little gap in the thicket then hook hard and float gently to the ground, parked safely by the basket. I regularly use a Leopard or an XL for this.

1 sometimes 2 putters. I try to keep my putting as simple as possible, but on windless days I carry a stable and understable putter. Soft Banger GT & U-2.

Then there are the new guys. Discs just itching to find a spot. Maybe the same mold as above, but a different plastic. Maybe be a drastically different weight. Or maybe that sexy new Swede like the Striker.

So I guess generally I agree that you NEED 8-12 to play a satisfying round.

atx
wizard
buzzz
core
vision
striker
firebird
katana
wraith
destroyer

that many.

thats my minimalist bag. :D

ooh i forgot my super flippy super-star 168 valk. great for anything where i need a ton of glide.

I've been carrying 12 lately. 2 putters, 3 mids, 3 fairways, 1 overstable, 3 distance. I will add 2-3 big D drivers if I can throw them to appropriate distance (near 400ft)

I would also add another putter and a roller disc. That would bring me to 18, and maybe a couple back ups. But I wouldn't be adding add'l molds.

A minimal number for most courses, for me, would be one putter, two mids (one stable to understable, and one meathook), two FH drivers (a flick and something not quite as overstable, maybe a star destroyer), one slightly overstable fairway driver, one stable fairway driver, and one understable fairway. So that's 8 discs.

In reality, I think I have something like 23 discs in my bag right now. There's always something I want to try out, and I always want to have a back-up for lots of discs.

Latest posts