• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many extinct courses can we come up with?

no idea but i'd guess the city of columbia.

Strong possibility. Assuming this is the case, it's good to know they were put to good use elsewhere in the Palmetto state.

I have been hoping the baskets at Charleston Naval Weapons Station can be moved somewhere else in the local area so more people could use them.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1597

See above. It's a shame to see any baskets wasting away where virtually nobody will be able to use them. In this case, however, the baskets are owned by the U.S. Military. They may not want to give them to any local or state park. On the other hand, better where they are than being moved to some base out of town!

Last edited:
The was a private pay-to-play course in Maine, near Bangor I think, called the Happy Banana. It was 9 holes I think. I don't see it in the directory any more, if it's gone it's no great loss as I recall.

Strong possibility. Assuming this is the case, it's good to know they were put to good use elsewhere in the Palmetto state.

I have been hoping the baskets at Charleston Naval Weapons Station can be moved somewhere else in the local area so more people could use them.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1597

See above. It's a shame to see any baskets wasting away where virtually nobody will be able to use them. In this case, however, the baskets are owned by the U.S. Military. They may not want to give them to any local or state park. On the other hand, better where they are than being moved to some base out of town!

since it's the military they probably paid 5 grand apiece for the baskets so are understandably hesitant to give them away.:D

Mission Trails DGC in San Carlos, CA. Used to be both disc and ball golf course but the ball golfers wanted it to be exclusively ball golf so the baskets went bye-bye.

Kensington Metropark in Milford, MI. Former 24 hole course transformed into an 18 hole and a 9 hole.

Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL - 9-hole course on the college campus near the football stadium. It was the victim of a huge stadium and parking lot expansion about 10 years ago.

Chastain Park, Atlanta, GA - Great little 9-holer in a city park near north of downtown. Holes played across a cool little gulch. Victim of extreme vandalism that made maintenance costs too great. Pulled in the late '80's or early '90s.
I played both of these in the early to mid 90's...sad.:(

Add Redbrush Park (Seymour, IN) and Slayter Hill/Acres (Purdue University) that I used to play in the 80s to the list of the lost...

I still have some memories, I reckon...good times!

since it's the military they probably paid 5 grand apiece for the baskets so are understandably hesitant to give them away.:D

You got a point there! I was actually out there just recently and they've cut down the LONG grass that was making those last 4 holes almost unplayable.

It's only 6 miles away (1 turn and a straight road) away from Park Circle too.

5 large? That's not even the price of a hammer to the gov.:)

LMAO There are 9 numbered yardage signs there that could cost more than a hammer, never mind those 9 Mach 3 baskets. You're right, VERY pricey! :eek:

Fox Meadows in Andover, MN is gone. Good riddance, that place sucked balls. Just plain not fun at all.

Plus, on the way out my friend wanted to use the Biffy. He entered and immediatley stepped right out. Apparently there was feces smeared EVERYWHERE inside. Door handle too. I almost didn't let him back in my car.

Also in gone in the Mpls/St Paul Metro:

'05 Lone Lake - Minnetonka - errosion issues
'00 (?) Theo Wirth - rumour is that a player told a woman who was walking across a fairway to "move her fat a$$ out of the way" and threw a disc that almost hit her - the guy was confronted by her husband and a heated profanity laced argument ensued- turned out it was the wife of the Park Superintendant who baskets pulled the very next day.

Brown Deer Park, Wisconsin There is now a wonderful new 18 course installed prior to 2007 AM Worlds. I played the original in the late 1980s. There was no course there for 15 years. I'm glad we've managed to get back in there.
My understanding on this matter was it was pulled in '92 or '93 because of the ball golf course going in. Apparently there was to be a driving range where some of the course was. The disc golf club moved the course to Dretzka park.

About a year before the new Brown Deer course went in the GLDGC held a pro/am fundraiser tourney at Brown Deer with Temp. baskets and mostly the original configuration. Barry Schultz was there and some great old schoolers with many stories of the old course. That course was very fun and I'm glad I had the opportunity to play that tournament.

All of that said it turned out to be a blessing in the long run because Dretzka rules and the new Brown Deer is a great challenging championship level course.

supposedly the baskets at earlewood were re-located from a course in/near myrtle beach- was that huntington beach?

This story is presumably true---our most ancient disc golfers tell it repeatedly. Not sure whether it was Huntington Beach, though. The story is that they were at a pay-to-play course, and held lights for night play (under the dome, which has a place for the wiring), which doesn't sound like a state park.

I will confirm for Gamecock that Earlewood is owned by City of Columbia Parks Dept.

The old Richmond Hill course (Asheville, NC) was epic. It was my first 'real' disc golf course. Played there with the legend Ted Williams R.I.P.
The land was taken over by the military for an armory. The city built a new course down the street from the old one. There is talk of using some holes from the original course to make a new 18 hole course on the current property. Good place to be a disc golfer!

Came to post this. That course was amazing. The new one isn't bad by any means but... I miss the old one.

Very interesting topic here. I knew of a course in North Liberty Iowa near lake McBride. I remember seeing it there in the early 90's before I played disc golf. Once I got back into it, I remebered it's location and went to check it out. Gone. From the looks of it it was a nine hole course that had baskets. You can see the fairways and can make out old tee areas. I wished I would of had the chance to play it.

Dont know if anyone said it yet but, WillowBrook DGC in Byron, Mi is no longer around. They sold all their baskets to the Mcurdy Park DGC in Corunna.

# 6-there was a course in Hannibal, Mo. back in the day. It went defunct and a buddy of mine bought the baskets. I think half of the baskets went into Jefferson Barracks and the other half were the original 9 hole course in Endicott Park. Anyway, I have no recollection of the name of that park.
A decade later I remember, it was in Ann Dorsey Hodgdon Memorial Park.

Holy necrobump, Batman! Plus I quoted myself. How much Internet etiquette can I violate in one post?

Only one Greater Cincy course was listed early on in this endeavor, Pioneer Park.

There was also a course not far from Idlewild called Limaburg (it was either in Burlington or Florence, KY) that only lasted a handful of years before the nearby airport built another runway and took all the land.

Since the beginning of this thread Cincy also lost Turtlecreek up in Lebanon, OH.

Pride Park in Taylor Mill, KY is gone.

Crittenden DGC in Crittenden, KY is gone.

There's one out here not that anyone cares about Canada but it was the Juan de Fuca... I never got to play it but I heard it was good something about endangered trees