• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many extinct courses can we come up with?

Long Run Park in Louisville, KY had a course back in the late 70's. They were using poles cemented into tree stumps or something strange like that. Ed Hendrick found out about it and threatened to sue unless they bought proper baskets from him. So they closed the course at Long Run and opened the course at Iroquois Park in 1981 thanks to Dave Greenwell who bought the baskets himself.

Gran Canyon in Brookesville, FL

My very favoritist course ever, of 100+ I've played.

Still Waters Farm in Govan, FL, previously mentioned, another on my top 5 favorite list.

Private courses....innovative...ephemeral.....

Wabash Park
Wabash Rd, Rochester, MI 48307

A short nine hole course i stumbled upon on lunchbreak from a job i had near there. There was a couple dozen apple trees and a few evergreens but mostly mowed grass. Over the course of two years, i hit metal on at least four of the holes before i aced the 134 ft Hole #4. Two or three years later, the city removed the baskets and i never found out exactly why. The park still exists and still has a small fenced-in playground on one end. Google Maps shows it looking mowed but unused for anything else.

River Bend Park‎
5700 22 Mile Rd, Utica, MI‎

Although a 24 hole course is currently there, Back in 1991 there was only 18(called the Lower). The Motor City Chain Gang managed to get the PDGA to have 1992 Worlds there. Late in 1991 we carved a extra 18 hole course(the Upper) out of the woods and the entire 36 holes stayed put for a few years after the 92 Worlds but the close proximity of picnic areas to a few holes of the upper 18 forced the city to remove the upper 18. The current 24 hole layout uses a few hole positions from the removed upper 18 but the really memorable "Upper" holes that made that course GREAT are gone. One of the best memories i have on that course was this:
006_50.jpg

A picture of Ed Headrick and I at the 92 Worlds...... hole #18 of the upper course is just behind us.

Last edited:
i was wondering if anyone can dig up info on these? first was in chespaeake, va. it was in the city park and was super wooded and was a 9 holer with 3 sets of tees...second was in elizabeth city, n.c. in a park near a city dump?...course was tucked in some scrub tress and thick brush near a very sweet bass pond..the "a-frame" in caroline, ny would be another...this was a private course but "open for fun" for a few years

Stony Creek Metropark‎
4300 Main Park Rd, Utica, MI‎

Currently there's a killer 24 hole course there but back in the day, the original 9 hole course was threaded around one of the parks many picnic areas. This particular area that had the course near it was THE place for the local Harley bikers to hang out at. I remember that it took a BRAVE disc golfer to play a round there.

Long Run Park in Louisville, KY had a course back in the late 70's. They were using poles cemented into tree stumps or something strange like that. Ed Hendrick found out about it and threatened to sue unless they bought proper baskets from him. So they closed the course at Long Run and opened the course at Iroquois Park in 1981 thanks to Dave Greenwell who bought the baskets himself.

well that sucks...i'm hoping they'll eventually put one back in, since it's only 1/4 mile from my house...

I'm very interested in this topic as I'm working with course directory data to map the locations of all courses, existing and extinct.

I have a few to add:

Rockledge DGC, Rockledge, FL - there were actually two versions of this course. The first was installed in 1977 or 78, then moved in about 1986 after the owners sold the land to Wal-Mart. They then sold the second piece of land also

Those Rockledge baskets are still in the ground. Ed donated them to Brevard County when he sold the land. They were put in at F. Burton Smith Park, out by Lone Cabbage Fish Camp on 520 in Cocoa. I miss Rockledge alot, but it's nice still being able to curse those stingy baskets at Burton.

Brown Deer Park, Wisconsin There is now a wonderful new 18 course installed prior to 2007 AM Worlds. I played the original in the late 1980s. There was no course there for 15 years. I'm glad we've managed to get back in there.
The course in Plymouth, Wis., I believe has been moved from one park to another within the last five years. New course HA Meyer Park. Original park; Twin Oaks.
A course in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin (Buttermilk Park?) was pulled a few years ago. A nine holer, that had some personal land issues. As a result, Adelaide Park went from nine to 18.

For Wisconsin; also remembered McDill Pond/Patch Street; a nine hole (and pretty nice one); near Stevens Point/Amherst.

COURSE NO MORE

Walnutcreek park use to have a good 9 holer untill the neighborhood said they didn't like all the people walking to close to their backyards,and smoking pot!,now they don't have the course but there's lots of Gay activities going on in the bushes by their backyards.:eek:

The old Richmond Hill course (Asheville, NC) was epic. It was my first 'real' disc golf course. Played there with the legend Ted Williams R.I.P.
The land was taken over by the military for an armory. The city built a new course down the street from the old one. There is talk of using some holes from the original course to make a new 18 hole course on the current property. Good place to be a disc golfer!

I believe that Paco Aka Lakewood Dry Gulch in Denver has been taken away. The city plans to build a mass transit rail line that goes through that park. It was a nice course I only got to play once.

Mason Park in Irvine, CA near the university that Reese Swinea got in pre Fly18. Great course. Long, tough, but too close to walkways/pedestrians, and the neighborhood complained. Awesome course and great tournaments there. Miss it bad!!!

Cordelia Park - Charlotte NC
Dunnellon Airport - Dunnellon FL

Extinct - but then relocated across the street - Sherando DGC - Stephens City, VA
Extinct - but then relocated and downsized from 18 to 9 - Kinder Park, in Severna Park, MD
(Already mentioned were Latta Park in Charlotte - home to 1986 PDGA Worlds, and Boylan Family Farm in Laurel Springs, NC)
Not in the directory - and I don't know if it is extinct or not was a tire basket course at the Rodeheavers Boys Ranch in Palatka, FL
Likewise for a 9 hole course on Ft. Lewis, near Tacoma, WA., and one on Carpenters Union property (we always just called it "Carpenter Park" somewhere near Tacoma, WA)
Not sure of the name, but there used to be a 9 holer in a small city park in Bozeman, MT that is now gone.
Rockledge was mentioned - but there were actually two different courses that once existed at different times, and then both went away.

I wonder if the baskets for all of these courses were reused or just junked. Sad if they were not reused. There are many places that could use them.