• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many extinct courses can we come up with?

There's one out here not that anyone cares about Canada but it was the Juan de Fuca... I never got to play it but I heard it was good something about endangered trees

Are you kidding? I care about Canada. In fact, I will be flying to Victoria in late October. Plan to see Victoria and Vancouver and am looking for the "must play" courses in the area. Any suggestions?

Are you kidding? I care about Canada. In fact, I will be flying to Victoria in late October. Plan to see Victoria and Vancouver and am looking for the "must play" courses in the area. Any suggestions?

Haha hey right on man, there's a bunch around... Victoria is a little shy on courses.. I haven't tried Langford yet.. Mary's farm is open on weekend there's a guy in Vic.. I'm partial to my course on Pender Island just one ferry ride away.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132578

Here's a thread with Canadian content there's some info on there.. I've been trying to grow it as a resource for us Canadian discers

Haha hey right on man, there's a bunch around... Victoria is a little shy on courses.. I haven't tried Langford yet.. Mary's farm is open on weekend there's a guy in Vic.. I'm partial to my course on Pender Island just one ferry ride away.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132578

Here's a thread with Canadian content there's some info on there.. I've been trying to grow it as a resource for us Canadian discers

Thanks. That is kinda what it looked like to me as far as lack of courses in Vic. I was considering Metchosin but that is the wrong direction to finish in Vancouver.

I've been told that there used to be a course in Bryan Park in Brown Summit, NC.

There was a course in Lake Highlands North Park (across from Lake Highland High School) in Dallas, TX. The baskets were moved and are still at BB Owen.

There was a course in Robertson Park at Lake Ray Hubbard (A city of Dallas park in what is now Rowlett - the park is gone, developed for the tax money). It was an 18 hole course and one of the holes was 1100 feet through tall grass. It sucked when the big time driver was a Viper.

Back in '96 and '97, there was a course in Denver on some open space at Ft. Logan National Cemetery. Fun course but it didn't last long due to the chuckers leaving their empties laying around the parking lot and 1st tee area. There were warnings, but it continued and the course was eventually pulled shortly after. One of the first courses I played.

Around the same time, another 9 holer near there was Applewood Park in Lakewood, it got pulled when it became apparent it was not really safe for DG to coexist with the other park activities.

Supposedly was a course near Ann Arbor, MI called "Kandahar" right before my time.

Traverse City MI- "Timberlee" - got pulled approx. 1999-2000. Was 24 hole ski resort course.

A lot of the state-level pros used to speak with reverence about Kandahar. It too was slightly before my time (I didn't move to MI until 1995 and wouldn't get involved with DG until encountering Grand Woods and CCR the next spring).

I did get to play Timberlee once with my buddy who now owns Wild Haven. Great course! I remember getting to see the Grand Traverse Bay from one of the tees at higher elevation like it was DeLa's "On Top of the World."

Locally, our easy course for a few years was pulled due to too many jerks trashing it and acting like a-holes, the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. I sure miss the easy, carefree round it provided in a pinch. My 9-year-old son is just now getting bitten by the DG bug and the Air Zoo would have been perfect for him.

Just the thread I was looking for, I'll add to the list the Vandal course in Sandpoint, ID.

Getting ready to open a new course out of Sandpoint named Caliber.
In the promo video for the course I'll be compiling an extensive list of courses that have gone extinct.

The list will be flashed in newspaper style print to music in part of the theme song. Goal is to draw awareness to ones that have been closed down, and to shine light on the course that I built on private property that will never be shut down, especially after going through a lengthy permit process in the county to run this as a pay-to-play permanent tournament course.

If anyone has articles they would like to share please include link so I can directly use these in the video as examples of some of the hardships our sport has endured over the decades.

Caliber will never be shut down

Attachments

• D8E7471F-AF0E-4592-9ABD-02338F38BCA8.jpg
    D8E7471F-AF0E-4592-9ABD-02338F38BCA8.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 34
  • B05F9A61-A5BA-417E-B923-469A5308521D.jpg
    B05F9A61-A5BA-417E-B923-469A5308521D.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2A714ADF-1189-49C3-A9FE-1806D126E4DD.jpg
    2A714ADF-1189-49C3-A9FE-1806D126E4DD.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 31
One in Pierre South Dakota, the Griffin Park course is an extinct 9 pole with sign on it course and thank the world. The Skaters would play with discs once the disc golf discs were able to be purchased in town and they were purposely trying to hit people in the way and lowering score if they did hit somebody. The course is gone as the Steamboat course came into use in 2007 as a full 18 hole course. The Griffin park one the poles were left as a easy way to take down the course but after a year of the dumb Skaters still trying to play with only a 12-13 speed disc with the hitting rule of lowering score the course was finally pulled a full year and a half after sign removal. This was due to a person who had to walk carrying their kid with concussion getting hit by a disc over to the hospital that was right there. Now has only first 3 holes that will disappear along with the Skate Park the City never wanted in the first place thanks to a new Outdoor Pool that in a good year will be able to be used 3 & 1/2 months of the year.

The Griffin Course was bad when made even for 1995 standards of a Sign Pole course, the holes were too short as if the designers never heard of disc golf discs, even for good catch and throw disc the course the course was too small on some holes that were a putt run like hole one to hole two with Catch and throw discs. One had to throw old throw using the previous pole as the end for tee pad run. I know I played it with a Wham-O Frisbee as the second disc the third time I ever played and the course was short, I think they made it for those bad very cheep fasback like promotional discs that do not have the rings on them thinking those would be the majority of discs used back in 1995.

Last edited:
Supposedly was a course near Ann Arbor, MI called "Kandahar" right before my time.

Traverse City MI- "Timberlee" - got pulled approx. 1999-2000. Was 24 hole ski resort course.

"Stonehenge" near Nashville, TN- private and used for 2001 Am. Worlds.

Also, keeping a tab on all temp. courses set up for tournaments?

Ah yes, Kandahar! This course was actually north of Ann Arbor a little situated on an old ski hill in between Hartland and Fenton. It was open for around a year as I recall and was very cool with woods and elevation changes. I only got to play it once before the baskets were pulled and the property turned into a subdivision:(