• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much have you spent on discs?

• $0 - $25

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • $25 - $75

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • $75 - $250

Votes: 17 8.8%
  • $250 - $500

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • $500 - $1000

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • $1000 - $2000

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • More than $2000

Votes: 75 38.7%

• Total voters
Im an idiot, I read "How much have you spend on a disc?" Which was wrong. You can change my answer from $0-$25 to easily over $2000. Still WAY cheaper than the auto racing "hobby" I'm converting from haha.

If you really think about it, when you dedicate yourself to most any hobby, it doesn't take a lot to spend a couple grand given enough time.

when people say to me "yeah, and disc golf is pretty cheap to play, too!!", I always reply with "yeah, but not the way I do it...."

I've spend about $500, but if you add the shipping for all the trades I've done it's probably more like $1000

OP said:
You might as well ask me "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?" because the answer;s the same...
tumblr_mx9dh3nWWk1t55xupo1_400.gif

The world may never know.

Yes! I am up to a 6% discount.
I'm up to 4%... but DGC represents a pretty small percentage of my overall disc purchases.

Last edited:
Well, I get the 10% discount at Disc Golf Center so that means I've spent over $1,000.

I would be more interested to hear how much people have spent on greens fees. I have been playing 11 years and only spent about $1200 - $1500 on greens fees I would think with the substantial amount spent at Trophy Lakes ($5 per round).

Who do you think you are? My wife? :p

Only been playing 9 months, I'm sure I'm solidly in the 500-1000 range. $120 on backpack that has 17 Discs, then some backups, some I don't throw, etc. I'm guessing I have at least 50 discs, maybe more, but some were found, some were used, a few were from giveaways, etc, and many well less than $15 each.

As for the hobby expense arguments, I'm also into archery, both hunting and target. I couldn't outfit a single target bow yet for what I have into disc golf, and that is with buying a lot of components used.

Only been playing 9 months, I'm sure I'm solidly in the 500-1000 range. $120 on backpack that has 17 Discs, then some backups, some I don't throw, etc. I'm guessing I have at least 50 discs, maybe more, but some were found, some were used, a few were from giveaways, etc, and many well less than $15 each.

As for the hobby expense arguments, I'm also into archery, both hunting and target. I couldn't outfit a single target bow yet for what I have into disc golf, and that is with buying a lot of components used.

And this is the rationale I use. Sure it seems expensive, but its actually my cheapest hobby. Fishing - jig rod, trout rod, topwater rod, squarebills, senkos, etc etc. Hunting? Same thing. Bird gun, deer gun/bow, turkey ammo, bird ammo, deer ammo. Recreational shooting...oh boy. Yea I have a Glock 9mm, but I dont have its subcompact sibling! Oh and that 1911... mmmm mmm shes perty. S&W? Its an American name, yup gimme two of those. And who doesnt love a nice lever action rifle to have some fun with.

lady: "ok go disc golfing"

If you stick with disc golf, your wife will thank you. It is by far the least expensive hobby I have ever had considering tournaments are only around $50 which has been consistent since I started playing events in 2006. Hotels, gas and food are the most expense I find but traveling with others and staying at friends also cuts the cost. If you are playing am tournaments, you will receive so much merchandise in players packs and payouts for your money that is easy to sell discs and especially shirts and hats on auction sites (shirts and hats seem to sell great even with tournament logos). I play 10-15 sanctioned tournaments a year and pretty much pay my entries by selling players packs. I also have found over the past couple of years that events have raffles for like $5 a ticket that no one really buys. I recently purchased $50 worth of tickets and won so much disc golf stuff that I made 4x my investment back just on the tickets and sold the stuff immediately on fb auctions. Also, if you plan to play five (5) PDGA tournaments a year, your PDGA am membership pays for itself by not paying the extra $10 if you are a non-member.

Not a lot, actually. I've been playing in one Am division or another for over 20 years; being winnings and players packs, I stay overstocked.

If it wasn't for setting aside custom-stamped discs for our course, I'd guess I've bought 1 or 2 discs a year over the past 15 years. Perhaps 3 or 4 in a splurge year.

Though if the poll is total lifetime costs, even that little bit adds up.

And this is the rationale I use. Sure it seems expensive, but its actually my cheapest hobby. Fishing - jig rod, trout rod, topwater rod, squarebills, senkos, etc etc. Hunting? Same thing. Bird gun, deer gun/bow, turkey ammo, bird ammo, deer ammo. Recreational shooting...oh boy. Yea I have a Glock 9mm, but I dont have its subcompact sibling! Oh and that 1911... mmmm mmm shes perty. S&W? Its an American name, yup gimme two of those. And who doesnt love a nice lever action rifle to have some fun with.

lady: "ok go disc golfing"

Oh, I was very close to getting into 3 Gun and 2 Gun competitions last year. Well, at least going to a couple, and I'm sure I would have loved it. Yeah, upgrades to the AR, new shotgun with extended magazine tube, probably trigger job on the Glock, etc... That doesn't even get to the ammo costs.

Oh, I was very close to getting into 3 Gun and 2 Gun competitions last year. Well, at least going to a couple, and I'm sure I would have loved it. Yeah, upgrades to the AR, new shotgun with extended magazine tube, probably trigger job on the Glock, etc... That doesn't even get to the ammo costs.

I just did a tricker job on my 19. I did the Zev competition trigger, but left the firing pin, spring and I think seer spring alone because it made the trigger return too weak and wasnt resetting. Then stippled it, now I want another so I can stipple it differently haha! AR upgrades... where does that end?! :D

I just did a tricker job on my 19. I did the Zev competition trigger, but left the firing pin, spring and I think seer spring alone because it made the trigger return too weak and wasnt resetting. Then stippled it, now I want another so I can stipple it differently haha! AR upgrades... where does that end?! :D

I'm sure I would have needed a new 19 then too, since that is my carry gun, and I still want a 43. Not to mention a lever action 45-70. My biggest problem is I don't have enough time for all of these hobbies! At least I'm loosing some weight with Disc Golf.

I'm sure I would have needed a new 19 then too, since that is my carry gun, and I still want a 43. Not to mention a lever action 45-70. My biggest problem is I don't have enough time for all of these hobbies! At least I'm loosing some weight with Disc Golf.

Thats my problem. My buddies are getting back in to mountain biking and keep trying to talk me in to buying another bike. Well I'd have to drop something. Not drop disc golf. Not dropping fishing or hunting. Not dropping range time or tinkering at home. Guess Im not going mountain biking which is fine with me lol.