• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much time do you give a putter?

How long is your trial period for a new putter?

• I know as soon as I hold it!

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • A week/5 rounds or less

Votes: 45 37.8%
  • A month/20 rounds or less

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • As long as it takes...

Votes: 27 22.7%

• Total voters
Anodes are just a point and shoot disc.. The medium is liked more then the softs so far.. As far as Wizards go.. Buy one and you'll never look back.

I usually know after a few rounds if it's what I'm looking for. I am a plastic whore though so I'll change putters just so I can try more discs. I have more putters than anything else in my hoard.

My first putter was an Aviar P n A.

Never seriously tried another putter.

about 3 weeks to a month, this usually includes testing approach shots, drives and of course putting.

maybe more than a month if its a pretty disc and I want it to be my main, like ions but didn't make it. went back to the kc aviar.

Magnets for my first year, Aviars ever since.

I've picked up some random fundraiser discs and stuff from buddys' events and used them sporadically for driving but my main putters have been the same for a long time now.

i usually will try a putter out for about a week. i get about 5 rounds of 18 in a week or more, and that will generally tell me if a putter is right for me. it can be tough to find a putter that you mesh well with. i still am not sure what i like 100%.

Normally I take the first week or so throwing it at the couch and walking around the house with it in my hands. If I decide I like the feel in my hand ill progress to the backyard for some practice a couple weeks and if I still enjoy it Ill take it out to the course. And then it'll stay in my bag as long as it doesn't act completely different on me. Until I try something new out that feels a little better..

For me the disc that worked best was the one that I was most consistent with not exactly the one that felt best. On the whole brand spankin new discs don't feel as comfortable to me as my seasoned ones but I am a firm believer in practicing. After using a disc long enough it will feel comfortable in your hand, similarly to changing your form or learning a new way to throw.

When I first started playing I wasn't a fan of beaded putters but I tried out a Wizard and it just worked for me and now they seem to fit perfectly in my hand with other putters feeling funky.

I try to give a new mold a few weeks before I make a decision to add it to my bag or not but if its workin for me I don't care how comfortable it is haha.

I voted a month/20 rounds but I spend more time practicing around the basket than on the courses now so I get a better feel for what the putter will and won't do for me. Just because I practice with it doesn't mean its going into the bag out on the course.

there is no magic disc, you can either putt or you can't

i know which category i fall into...:\ doesnt matter what putter i use, performance seems to be the same. i just commit to one and call it good.

there is no magic disc

by the way...
Magic_Super_Soft_S-Series_Standard.jpg

i guess for me its more about feel and then outside the circle/driving duties.. it doesnt seem to matter what i use inside the circle as long as it feels good in my hand i can make putts.. usually :eek:

I'm with Hysell. If you can putt, it won't matter if you switch to another putter as the differences will be small, especially inside the circle where the putts really matter.

I'm not really familiar with any other putters than magnets. I played doubles in a group with a guy from Texas named Shawn last weekend. He was putting some funky looking gateway putters. He put on an awesome putting performance. I didn't even want to touch those things. After the round was over he left two putters sitting next to a basket. I went and picked them up and carried them to where he was standing 60 feet away. I told him he was an okay putter but his discs were magic. I proceeded to make the putt from 60ft away with something I had just picked up. Maybe they were magic.

The way to chose a putter is to find something that has the grip, texture, and stability that you like. Then learn the putter. Sleep with the putter. Love the putter.

By the way, I like your sig Hysell. I had a rough round in a tournament over the weekend putting in the wind. I do not putt poorly because of the wind. I putted poorly because I have not spent enough time practicing in the wind.

there is no magic disc, you can either putt or you can't

No, but there are discs designed to accomodate different putting styles. If they push putt or float it in, I would never give them an Ion. Giving them a Warlock doesn't instantly make them a better putter, but it DOES give them the better tool to develop the skill.

You don't put a 16 year old behind the wheel of a Mack truck and say, "you can either drive a car or you can't."

I'm in the process of doing this with the Ion right now. I was a push putter, but very unsatisfied with the results. I wasn't able to generate distance. I'm giving the Ion a month. I'm adjusting to spin putting pretty well and enjoying the Ion.