• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get your spouse interested in DG?

If she throws a bad shot say "Wow, that form makes you look fat." or "Your sidearm reminds me of your overbearing needy mother." For a little tree love you could say "Wow, that tree loves you more than your Dad..."

Good stuff. Really good stuff.

I always say, if you aren't getting slapped once in a while, you aren't doing it right. :)

I say forget the putter. Buy her a Valkyrie. Show her how to flick it. She'll find more success quickly and then if she likes it you can start to teach her the backhand. Also ask around and see if any other women want to learn that you enjoy hanging out and make it a fun time of hanging out with friends while you happen to be playing disc golf.

Chicks with flicks are generally old softball players. If she was not (and based on the aptitude you mentioned) she probably will look and feel like a window licker doing it.

Buy a stingray or Polaris LS something along those lines...nice and light and let'er rip.

Play the lamest course in town until she gets more confident.

My wife loves the wolf, it is a easy disc to learn.
She throws a wolf, a valk, and a magic, but I think she would like the GT Banger better.

Chicks with flicks are generally old softball players. If she was not (and based on the aptitude you mentioned) she probably will look and feel like a window licker doing it.

Buy a stingray or Polaris LS something along those lines...nice and light and let'er rip.

'

I agree completely on not starting out with a flick. If my husband had done that, I would have quit on day one. I joke that my backhand is terrible, and my forehand is worse. At least with the backhand, you can use your body to produce a little more control.

Definitely stick with a 150 DX slow disc to get started. Heavier discs can just hurt your arm if you don't have an athletic background, and that's no fun. If you can find a "pitch and putt" course, then she'll be able to feel a sense of accomplishment. It might not be your favorite course, but it's where beginners do better starting. There's nothing worse for your self-esteem than throwing four times (or more), and realizing you're not even halfway to the basket.

Oh, even though it might be difficult, I might suggest not going to a course when kids are there. It can be quite demoralizing for her to see five year olds driving better than she does (and it very possibly could happen).

This was my thought...

crazy-cabbie-caveman-dragging-woman-by-hair-in-hoboken.jpg

but no... my wife likes her wizard, river, shark and dragon

Only point out the positives. Even the smallest ones. You'll be surprised how much a non-athletic woman doesn't know. One time, my wife let go of her disc too early, it hit a tree, rolled behind her and around to end up 5 feet in front of the tee pad. So, I said "It's in the middle of the fairway, right in line to the target. That's the shortest way to get there." She said "Really? That's where it's supposed to go?" She learned something about what makes a shot good. Of course, at that point she had never seen anyone actually throw a disc that went toward a target, so how would she know?

Be patient. It was five years before she wanted to try a run-up, and another five before she wanted to try a forehand.

Remove any unpleasantness. Fish her disc out of the pond, bring it back out of the bushes. ("This is just practice anyway. When you are better it won't go in there, so you don't need to practice getting out.")

Don't assume she will ever want to compete. Competing is different than playing.

And yes, find a short, easy course with nobody around.

Start her off with "every hole is par 8" and lower it only when she can beat you (net, if you use par 3).

In general, its the same advice as being married: Do whatever she wants you to do, and let her do whatever she wants to do.

Everyone is different, but my wife and two different sister-in-laws all do much better forehand than backhand. Just cause you're throwing forehand doesn't mean you have to flick it. I've seen people throw it with almost the same motion as a football (not right by the ear, but more 3/4) and have great success. Not saying it works for everyone, but at the same time i would not dismiss it.

Everyone is different, but my wife and two different sister-in-laws all do much better forehand than backhand. Just cause you're throwing forehand doesn't mean you have to flick it. I've seen people throw it with almost the same motion as a football (not right by the ear, but more 3/4) and have great success. Not saying it works for everyone, but at the same time i would not dismiss it.

Of course it was a generalization but I have had clinics with about 90 women and only 5 preferred sidearm so it was a data influenced generalization but of course there are always exceptions. :thmbup:

I took mine on a 5 day disc golf cruise :)

www.discgolfcruise.com

she played a few times before the cruise, but plays a lot since playing in the tournament in the cruise with a lot of other ladies including Des Redding and Juliana Korver

We went on two of the cruises and loved it

The major breakthrough for me was finding a course for us to practice on that didn't feel so public. I found a super easy 9 hole out near the airport here that rarely has anyone on it. Not only did it provide an easy layout for her to begin learning the game on, but it also took away the pressure of public embarrassment. She is still by no means a regular, but she is starting to chunk the Buzzz a good way. :)

And knowing my luck, she will probably end up being a better putter than me.

My wife comes out to play with my kids. I have to push the stroller, but it is great to have the family out there and I know one day they will all be able to throw pretty good except my wife LoL. My 3 year old is already better then her.