• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How To Increase Arm Speed?

Nice, glad I could help. I used the bonopane grip on and off for about a month, it helped me to feel how the disc was supposed to be sitting in my hand to get a nose down flight. Once I got that feel I was able to go back to a power grip.

I tried this today and man - how do you hold onto the disc? I just couldn't keep it in hand long enough and I kept getting (very) early release low liners.

Wow that's an amazing improvement! It seems like you've been working quite hard to try to get this all sorted out, so congrats on the massive jump in distance.

Wow that's an amazing improvement! It seems like you've been working quite hard to try to get this all sorted out, so congrats on the massive jump in distance.

Thanks, much appreciated! :) Seriously...your comments have greatly helped, so much awesome information. :)

However....it wouldn't be fitting to not post this in this thread. I felt so good about new distance that I had a friend (who throws 400+ regularly with a fairway driver) videotape my form so I could see this new amazing form in super slo mo. We both couldn't believe what I am doing because you really can't see it happen at regular speed. I'm actually bringing the disc almost flat (stamp side out) to my chest right before the hit and then quickly flattening it out before ejecting it. F!@#$%^ strange! The good news is, my elbow extension, hammer, beato goodness, etc, is pretty much spot on. So I'm sure that's where I'm getting all of my distance from. He also made me realize it looks like I have some range of motion problems with my right hand because my left hand easily bends (hand shake) down more than my right, leading me to think that's why the bonopane grip helps my nose down issue. So...while it's nice to know I have the raw skills to throw 350-400 on a regular basis, I'm going to spend some down time and work on re-tooling everything. wow....

I have worked on nothing but form for a long time. I thought I was throwing really fast but, I had my wife video my throw and I discovered that my arm speed is, actually, slow. And, this is why I can't move past this wall of about 280ft.
I am short with short arms, older, and slow.
Can't change my body.
Can't change my age. If fact, it's working against me as time goes by.
So, that leaves arm speed.
As Bruce Lee would say "more speed, more speed" He trained with electrodes to get faster punch speed.
Take two people with perfect form and the one with slower arm speed will throw less distance.

Even Scott Stokely said it. paraphrasing him: "If your form is ok, there's not much I can do for you. You have a issue with arm speed."

So the question for me is, how to get more arm speed?

I have worked on nothing but form for a long time. I thought I was throwing really fast but, I had my wife video my throw and I discovered that my arm speed is, actually, slow. And, this is why I can't move past this wall of about 280ft.
I am short with short arms, older, and slow.
Can't change my body.
Can't change my age. If fact, it's working against me as time goes by.
So, that leaves arm speed.
As Bruce Lee would say "more speed, more speed" He trained with electrodes to get faster punch speed.
Take two people with perfect form and the one with slower arm speed will throw less distance.

Even Scott Stokely said it. paraphrasing him: "If your form is ok, there's not much I can do for you. You have a issue with arm speed."

So the question for me is, how to get more arm speed?

Take that video and post it on here. Honestly, it's probably 70% lower body /posture stuff that you need to fix. Physically trying to make you arm go faster is going to be an epic fail. Also, nice necro bump

Take that video and post it on here. Honestly, it's probably 70% lower body /posture stuff that you need to fix. Physically trying to make you arm go faster is going to be an epic fail. Also, nice necro bump

+1

'how to achieve faster arm speed' is the wrong question :doh:. the question should be 'what's wrong in my form?' :hfive:

Find a net to throw into and a speed o meter. Gradually increase the ejection speed to as high as possible. Do this and you will increase ejection speed.

But throwing super hard multiple times into a net will increase risk of injury if your form is not good. Which means you should get the form down first.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

While I am going to take time to do some field work with HyzerUniBomber in the near future and while I do think most of big distance is form, I am also working on a few other thoughts right now which would help those who are not naturally gifted or have the supposed genetics to throw a disc really far. As with most athletes, depending on their sport and the motion they need to train for what they do, there are very specific muscles that need to be trained to help. My current theory is that training quick twitch muscles are the most important. I am still doing some research on the topic and by no means is it the most important part of throwing a disc, but I am hoping that training these muscles will help increase distance.

I have been thinking about changing my gym routine as well to try and train for speed and agility over strength to try and incorporate more fast twitch muscles over slow twitch. I have only the slightest clue as to what Im talking about but Ima give it a go.

I have been thinking about changing my gym routine as well to try and train for speed and agility over strength to try and incorporate more fast twitch muscles over slow twitch. I have only the slightest clue as to what Im talking about but Ima give it a go.

Upper body plyometrics is how pitchers, volleyball players, quarterbacks, and pretty much all sports ball athletes are trained to increase arm speed and strength, and specifically type 2 fast twitch muscle fibers. Lower body plyometrics is for well, your lower body. Both are highly recommended.

YouTube is your guide, start with beginner stuff and go from there. Or just pick up this book, looks like Amazon has used copies for less than 6 bucks. Or utilize both

https://www.amazon.com/Jumping-into-Plyometrics-2nd-Donald/dp/0880118466

Last edited:
Contrary as it may sound, isometrics are really good for fast twitch muscle development and way easier on your body than plyometrics. I've seen my best gains by regularly practicing planches and levers. I'm sure it's partially due to better core strength but it also feels like my intermuscular connections are more coherent.

Find a net to throw into and a speed o meter. Gradually increase the ejection speed to as high as possible. Do this and you will increase ejection speed.

But throwing super hard multiple times into a net will increase risk of injury if your form is not good. Which means you should get the form down first.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Thanks, NoseDownKing for the great idea, will try it.

Contrary as it may sound, isometrics are really good for fast twitch muscle development and way easier on your body than plyometrics. I've seen my best gains by regularly practicing planches and levers. I'm sure it's partially due to better core strength but it also feels like my intermuscular connections are more coherent.

Isos are great too. I'd utilize both and alternate to keep your body in a state in which your throwing new things at it. I disagree with the idea that plyometrics are hard on the body. Depends on what exercises your doing, and total volume means everything, as well as the age and history of the person.

Like I mentioned in my previous post start slow and stick with beginner exercises, which could be as simple as jumping rope and jumping jacks for lower body and basic medicine ball tosses for your upper. You can buy very lightweight balls, like 5lb ones.

I agree that you have to be careful and take it slow and easy, but the same can be said for disc golf as well. My days of doing depth jumps with a 25lb medicine ball are long behind me, but I still crank out jump rope, basic standing hops and medicine ball tosses to keep my fitness up when I'm away from the course.

Arm speed is really not the best description, it is about disc acceleration through the motion. reaching maximum accel. right at the hit point. The fingers then spring and launch the disc, throwing and aiming from the back of the disc, aka pendulum like.