• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to not destroy my throwing hand on distance shots?

I once saw a vid where Avery Jenkins used some super glue to cover his fingers to prevent blisters.

Might try some tape.

I taped my index finger for more than a couple years. I played a winter round and ripped a line across my finger that built up an edge over a couple rounds and hurt on every throw. The tape completely stopped the pain, and was pretty easy to get used to.

My preferred brand was the 3M Nexcare at any Walgreens/CVS.

nexcaretm-gentle-paper-tape-2-pack-1-in-x-10-yd.jpg

The only downside is the line of grime where the tape ends, making hiding your disc golf round from the wife an impossibility.

I once saw a vid where Avery Jenkins used some super glue to cover his fingers to prevent blisters.

I don't throw anywhere near as far as you or have this problem with throwing discs, BUT I do play bass. I have ripped my fingers up worse than that playing 4 hour shows before. It's still friction injury, though not exactly the same.

Anyway, this guy hit it. I tried nu-skin, tape, leather finger tip sheaths and none of it worked as well as regular super glue. Let that finger heal up, sand off the callous some, then coat that finger in about 2-3 passes of super glue an hour before your round. Go wider than the effected area. I never rip my fingers up any more, and when I play for a few hours, I'm plucking a steel wire about 10,000 times.

Throw the glue in your bag for an instant cut closure in case of injury and you are set!

I'll try regular super glue then, while I wait for my glove in the mail. I tried doing nuskin every few holes yesterday and the result was getting my skin ripped off and cracking the layer below that. I wonder if my camera picked up any of the blood spurts off the tee, haha.

Gonna have to take a few days off or play some lefty rounds. We'll see.

Attachments

• 20170413_121917.jpg
    20170413_121917.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 60
I'll try regular super glue then, while I wait for my glove in the mail. I tried doing nuskin every few holes yesterday and the result was getting my skin ripped off and cracking the layer below that. I wonder if my camera picked up any of the blood spurts off the tee, haha.

Gonna have to take a few days off or play some lefty rounds. We'll see.

Let us know how it works out, but I can't imagine why you aren't trying the tape first. I tried glue and it didn't work at all, in fact almost made it worse in the end. I've also tried gloves and the loss of feel is detrimental to the game.

Let us know how it works out, but I can't imagine why you aren't trying the tape first. I tried glue and it didn't work at all, in fact almost made it worse in the end. I've also tried gloves and the loss of feel is detrimental to the game.

In the past tape either came off pretty much every throw, or I had to layer it so much I couldn't feel the disc worth a damn. Couldn't find a middle ground. I'll try it again if super glue or gloves don't do it.

I have a horse that injured his leg years ago getting into barbwire. Now the area won't grow hair on it anymore. This results in snow in the winter time tearing his wound open. I have fought this for about 20 years until last winter I found some spray on bandage for livestock and man does it work. I usually get some of it on my fingers when I spray his foot and it takes a long time for it to wear off, it looks like silver spray paint. I will get the name off the can If u r interested. I think it would work real good for your problem.:)

In the past tape either came off pretty much every throw, or I had to layer it so much I couldn't feel the disc worth a damn. Couldn't find a middle ground. I'll try it again if super glue or gloves don't do it.

Did you use athletic tape (like hockey tape or lifting tape)? I found athletic tape to be as you describe here. The 3M Nexcare paper tape stays on great and is thin.

But if you do find a glove that has better feel than thin tape I am very interested, mainly for winter play :thmbup:

Your finger looks like Deadpool's face. Maybe try a fan grip for a while?

lol.

Fan grip and distance driving is a bad combo. My hands handle anything under 300' with no issues, but once I start snapping them out there backhand is when the problems start. Especially repeated 400'+ shots. Good thinkin though.

lol.

Fan grip and distance driving is a bad combo. My hands handle anything under 300' with no issues, but once I start snapping them out there backhand is when the problems start. Especially repeated 400'+ shots. Good thinkin though.
Go find MJ, he basically taught me how to fan grip for distance along with Blake_T's myth of disc pivot and wide rail threads. It's really not much different than Climo's fork grip.

Lots of players use a fan grip for distance including Lizotte and his 500' putter shots(speed 12 or less), Wysocki, and former distance record holders Stokely and Chris Max showing his grip here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvsHetJkKFo#t=2m5s

Well I'd love to learn how to use fan grip for distance shots. Maybe I'll see about having MJ show me, thanks for the information. New to me!

Man, the idea of possibly being able to use a new grip is exciting. I've been looking for ways to make the same old keep working.

Last edited:
The only thing you've got to worry about with glue is gluing your wound shut after it got infected. Keep it clean and you shouldn't have a problem.

do you put the tips or the pads of your fingers on the inside of the rim? i put the tips and i don't have this problem and i've suspected for a while that people who have this problem put the pads of their fingers on the rim. my grip locks the disc in more with the bone structure of my hand than with friction between the pads and the rim. you can see the difference on https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml#common if you compare power grip version 1 to power grip version 2. my grip is similar to power grip version 1 except that my hand is more angled like the 3 finger grip (except my fingers are all curled so the tips are on the rim). i throw as far as you so it's not a power difference. i barely feel any friction on my fingertips when i throw and i don't have calluses at all.

Latest posts