• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to throw low speed?

TheJet4

Ive been playing for about a year, and can throw my star destroyer about 300 ft with a small s curve. Ive read a lot that throwing lower speed discs can help with driving, but anytime I try to, it flips anhyzer and falls short. I usually throw with them about 45 degrees hyzer but it still flips over. How can I throw lower speed without sacrificing power?

Make sure your grip is aligned correctly: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Your discs are likely wobbling and they are then turning over and burning since they never have a chance to "fly" correctly (wobbling and turning, instead of gliding). Needing a Destroyer for a 300' shot is a bad sign of off axis torque (OAT), which means wobbles.

It's not really that lower speed discs help...it's more that they punish you as you have found out. So when you can throw your putters and mids straight, that is a good sign. And your Destroyer will probably fade really hard and change from your most used to your least used disc, for a while. This will actually be a good sign.

Throw putters and neutral midrange, you will likely see that they wobble. Try to keep the disc on the same line throw out the throw, I got rid of OAT by emphasizing keeping my head height the same throughout my throw

A Buzzz type disc is good to practice with, since it has a little more of a driver feel but still qualifies as a neutral midrange. You might also try something like a Teebird (since it has lower speed) or a Leopard.

I think everyone starts out focusing on distance, and trying to throw discs as hard as possible doesn't exactly condone smooth, non-wobbly form. So moving to some of those lower speed discs can help focus on form, but they also don't feel as different from the destroyer as a putter would. Aim to get a Teebird or Leopard to 300' consistently (or some other fairway driver... XL, Patriot, Stalker, ...), and I think that's a decent starting point.

When I started playing about 15 years ago, there weren't the number of high speed discs that there are today. I learned to play with a Roc and an Aviar. I think I had a Discraft X2 after going to a Scott Stokely clinic, and I was amazed at the "speed" that it came out of my hand. I watched him crush effortless forehands with that disc and was sold. But sadly the quest for distance hurt my game more than helped. To this day, I have a hard time throwing anything faster than speed 9. Big rimmed drivers just don't fit my grip very well. After years of trying all of the new discs as they come out I'm back to throwing "fairways" for distance. My suggestion is to match a disc to your arm speed and snap. By that I mean, finding a disc in your sweet spot, or a driver that doesn't exhibit too much low speed fade thrown at line drive height. You will be so much happier. To this day, all of my friends with their Destroyers and Nukes laugh at my bag make up, until I put a seasoned Roc past them on an open hole. Just my 2c

When I started playing about 15 years ago, there weren't the number of high speed discs that there are today. I learned to play with a Roc and an Aviar. I think I had a Discraft X2 after going to a Scott Stokely clinic, and I was amazed at the "speed" that it came out of my hand. I watched him crush effortless forehands with that disc and was sold. But sadly the quest for distance hurt my game more than helped. To this day, I have a hard time throwing anything faster than speed 9. Big rimmed drivers just don't fit my grip very well. After years of trying all of the new discs as they come out I'm back to throwing "fairways" for distance. My suggestion is to match a disc to your arm speed and snap. By that I mean, finding a disc in your sweet spot, or a driver that doesn't exhibit too much low speed fade thrown at line drive height. You will be so much happier. To this day, all of my friends with their Destroyers and Nukes laugh at my bag make up, until I put a seasoned Roc past them on an open hole. Just my 2c

Best advice I've heard.

Try a Nova and Mako and just practice with those until they fly dead straight with no wobble. Helped my game immensely.

Add on that a good player throws the fairway drivers at least 90% as far as the big drivers. My go to is the leopard (I can list discs from all the big companies that fly the same). I do like the big drivers but don't need them to have a solid round.

Ive been playing for about a year, and can throw my star destroyer about 300 ft with a small s curve. Ive read a lot that throwing lower speed discs can help with driving, but anytime I try to, it flips anhyzer and falls short. I usually throw with them about 45 degrees hyzer but it still flips over. How can I throw lower speed without sacrificing power?

You're muscling the disc. Proper technique makes overstable and understand discs fly straight. You accomplish it by focusing on a motion that buts more spin and less forward speed on the disc. Most of the throw happens in the last 25% of the movement. The reach back is preamble but the pull into the chest and first half of the body turn is set up. Only as your shoulders come around and line up with the target are you really beginning to throw. By lined up I mean a line from the basket goes through your right shoulder and out your left. At that point your unbending your elbow at full speed. Good luck!

Latest posts