• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer flip....

As was mentioned above, I used a 150g Mamba, but outgrew it quickly. Now my main two discs for flipping are a beat DX Teebird and a beat X Comet. Both fly laser straight lines when hyzer flipped.

Easiest non-putter to hyzer flip IMO is a DX Stingray. Under stable right out of the box. May be too easy and more of a right turning disc (rhbh).

I have a fairly beat one that I use for short right hand turns, but always have hyzer depending on how late I want it to turn.

at this point in my game i like my sidewinder for hyzer flippin. its pretty easy to get it to pop up. how long it holds the the line before falling depends on the thrower. but it always comes back to a hyzer for me (i throw around 300 on average). i have only had it stay turning in head winds. so i throw my wtraith in head wind situations. when i started to outgrow my leopard 150 from my beginner pack is when i discovered the hyzer flip. I could get major distance if perfect ballance of power and hyzer, but started to turn and burn on me. if thrown on a high hyzer flip it would roll all most all the way over then start to flex out and glide for days. it was almost like throwing a hyzer flip and anny flex in one, but very difficult to get just the right throw.

I need some education here in terms of hyzer flipping. I get the basic idea here, that you release a disc on a hyzer angle, and the goal is the it flips up straight and flies straighter than it would otherwise.

But I have seen some conversations and threads on here that have me questioning how this works. I thought you hyzer flipped a stable/understable disc. By putting it on a hyzer angle, (especially for a US disc) the natural flight of the disc is what flips it up from the hyzer angle, but that all of the right movement (RHBH) is "used up" (not the scientific terminology I am sure) and you are left with a disc flying straight at the target. I assume then there might be some fade at the end depending on the disc that is flipped.

But I have seem some conversations on here that seem to indicate that you can do the same thing with OS discs, but I don't quite understand how that works. Are those convo's basically just wrong, or can you put enough torque on an OS disc to hyzer-flip it? Is the better option the flex shot for OS (anny release, s curve flight)? I know this might sound dumb, but I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Your original assumptions were correct :hfive: Controlled OAT and torquing aren't hyzer flipping.

Flex - give it anhyzer and it fights back to make an 'S'
Hyzer flip - the disc pops up from a hyzer release to flat or turns over to the right due to its understability

Valkyries are great turnover drivers. I used to carry a beast, then cfr roadrunners, but I got some XG valks that are sex. DX are great too. I also use a beat up flat 10x teebird or a lighter weight shark for shorter flip discs. A stingray works great too.

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd post in this one. I have always wondered about hyzer flipping.

What's the point of hyzer flipping? I honestly don't get it. I have never hyzer flipped until recently because my TP Tursas MUST be hyzer flipped or else if thrown flat it will just turn and burn. So I'm trying to dial-in my hyzer flip to get a good turn, but it's not a shot I am used to.

I have made a few really (really) great drives with this on a hyzer flip (then biffed the putt :eek:) where it will flip flat and finish right, but I still don't understand this technique beyond making shots with a really understable disc. I used to hyzer flip my Z Buzzz a little bit to keep it from turning but currently the Tursas is the only disc I hyzer flip.

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd post in this one. I have always wondered about hyzer flipping.

What's the point of hyzer flipping? I honestly don't get it. I have never hyzer flipped until recently because my TP Tursas MUST be hyzer flipped or else if thrown flat it will just turn and burn. So I'm trying to dial-in my hyzer flip to get a good turn, but it's not a shot I am used to.

I have made a few really (really) great drives with this on a hyzer flip (then biffed the putt :eek:) where it will flip flat and finish right, but I still don't understand this technique beyond making shots with a really understable disc. I used to hyzer flip my Z Buzzz a little bit to keep it from turning but currently the Tursas is the only disc I hyzer flip.

^^^^

I'm by no means a pro, but the primary reason I hyzer flip is to throw a dead straight shot. This is due to the fact that pretty much every disc has at least some turn and some fade, however there are many understable discs that have very little fade. Because of this, if you hit the correct angle, you can have the turn flip it to flat and then watch is glide straight with very little fade at the end. Generally, the longer your disc can stay flat throughout it's flight, the further it will go. Because of this, many people have their longest throws with hyzer flips.

I hyzer flip with moderate power to throw something understable very straight. Hyzer flipping with lots of power allows the disc to travel straight and then take a late turn to the right (RHBH). Without a decent forehand, the late hyzer flip is a go-to shot on anything with a tight fairway that has to finish to the right. Useful when there isn't enough space to let a normal anny round out to the left at the beginning.

I'm by no means a pro, but the primary reason I hyzer flip is to throw a dead straight shot. This is due to the fact that pretty much every disc has at least some turn and some fade, however there are many understable discs that have very little fade. Because of this, if you hit the correct angle, you can have the turn flip it to flat and then watch is glide straight with very little fade at the end. Generally, the longer your disc can stay flat throughout it's flight, the further it will go. Because of this, many people have their longest throws with hyzer flips.

I hyzer flip with moderate power to throw something understable very straight. Hyzer flipping with lots of power allows the disc to travel straight and then take a late turn to the right (RHBH). Without a decent forehand, the late hyzer flip is a go-to shot on anything with a tight fairway that has to finish to the right. Useful when there isn't enough space to let a normal anny round out to the left at the beginning.
:thmbup: Thanks, this helps clear things up. I wasn't quite sure exactly the purpose of hyzer flipping before. I've had to start hyzer flipping my Teebird lately so this is a technique I'm going to have to work on. I'm still figuring out how much hyzer to use for different throws. I haven't been discing for a short while since we've been getting all these crazy storms so I am itching to go throw some plastic!

It's good for shot-shaping or covering more ground with an US disc. Non-pros can usually get their farthest distance drives this way.

It's easier for me at least to get certain lines. Like long gentle/sweeping turning shots, both L to R and R to L seem easier with dialed in hyzer flips of US discs. Seems like it also makes throwing longer tight woods laser shots more accurate generally if I slightly power-down HF instead of trying to milk extra D out of stable mid of choice.

Another option is to throw a stable disc (PD, Teebird, etc.) on a hyzer into a headwind and letting the wind flip your disc up. You can throw your normal power, with control, instead of always trying to defeat the wind with something massively overstable.

I was actually just considering starting a new thread to get some clarification from more advanced/pro players about form on hyzer flips.

I've been having an ongoing discussion with a friend who plays with some local pro's out in Austin, and he basically informed me that most pro's will throw most drives on an at least slight hyzer angle, let it pop up, fly straight, and then fade left. The main reason for this is consistency and that's because it's easier to be accurate throwing from a slight hyzer angle and allows for a greater margin of error than releasing flat. Initially this information just blew my mind, I assumed most pro's would release flat on most throws, but when explained in terms of throwing flat vs on a hyzer flip and their margin of error - it makes complete sense.

He's been telling me that his pro buddies will throw a push hyzer flip, which I'd never heard of before, but essentially equates to a nose up stalled hyzer flip.. and I have no idea how one would even begin to throw this shot... do any of you more advanced ams or pro's have any tips?

Last edited:
Who taught the first Hyzer flipper?
Rotational speed creates flip/turn make more of it. Line the disc in your throw with the line you send the disc. Someone told me today he liked this line...." Your body should move around this disc not the other way around" I think this is more important when Hyzer flipping.

When I first started playing, I learned hyzer flipping firsthand by transferring ultimate frisbee techniques. My first disc was a super beat in US Innova Classic Cobra so I thought I was a natural...then I tried throwing a Boss after a couple months and it looked and felt like I never threw a disc before. Long story short- (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just speaking from personal experience) I would definitely make sure you can drive 300' on a flat release with good form before learning to hyzer flip. For me learning hyzer flips from the start led to me having to completely revamp my game. But hey! Live and learn!

Latest posts