• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I feel like I'm missing something in my bag

CwAlbino

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Some of you may remember me, but it's definitely been a while since I've posted or been active. I'm hoping to get back into disc golf more seriously now that life seems to have somewhat settled into a better routine. I am looking for a couple additions to the bag but honestly I don't even know the new brands, let alone what and how the discs compare. I'm not looking for flavor of the month, more like the standout discs from any company to research and try out. Here's a little background, and what my bag currently looks like:

I throw RHBH and RHFH. I can consistently reach 425 with RHBH but have been working on footwork more with results. Have not measured yet this year. RHFH used to be a solid 400' but it's dropped off hard, and is a goal of mine this year to focus on bringing back the sidearm. I've had nothing faster than a destroyer/force in my bag.

-Wizards, two for putting and approach, one premium for upshots and drives. These will stay.
-Ron Russell Comet, and two backups in the garage. Finesse and control.
-Tangent, Axis, Tensor. Just bought the Tensor and swapped the other two back into the bag. Previously Two X Buzzz, a DZ Roc, and KCPro Roc for a variety of stabilities. I really like the flight of the roc but I cannot stand the rim. It's the only thing I dislike about the comet but I have not found a true replacement of the Comet with a shallower rim. I struggle to find a midrange that can hold it's line in the wind and not drop like a zone or drone. Hoping the Tensor will fill that slot with better glide and speed than the zone.
-Zone. A Jawbreaker and an ESP. Used for zone things. These will stay.
-MVP Volt. One in the bag, one backup. This is my go-to fairway driver. Between this and my PD, they take care of most shots under 400'.
-Amp. Threw this in recently for some fairway turnover.
-PD. S and C. Beat in S and (getting beat in) C. The S is starting to turn over and when thrown flat gives me a nice slow turn and predictable fade.
-Old Plastic EliteZ Flick. Used for flick things. Hard fades, forehand cut rollers, general utility.
-Star Wraith. Beat up and ready for either a replacement or a new one to start taking some abuse. My most consistent S curve distance disc. Throw it on a hyzer for a long sweeping S.
-Force. One really beat up ESP, another nearly new Z Force. Distance and overstability.

I lost the only destroyer I had in my bag recently and is part of the reason for this post. Rather than just going back out and buying another destroyer, I'm looking for viable options. I'm playing around with mid ranges and distance drivers. I loaded my bag up with some MVP because I like the feel of most of their discs and they were sitting in the garage.

Wizard, Zone, Comet, Volt, PD, Flick are all staying. Thoughts welcome.

Maybe try an axiom envy? It's taking the spot of os/stable mid in my bag and has a nice feeling rim. Electrons beat in nicely and proton will hold its stability quite a while. They get crazy distance for a putter and those 2 almost took over my mid shots and actually kicked my zones out altogether, although I toy with putting them back in since I love them so much.

As far as the comet replacement I would recommend a kastaplast Göte, it's the closest thing I've experienced to replacing the beat x comet I gave away. Has the dome minus the bead but more forgiving of form and better in the wind. The k1 plastic feels great too.

Kinda depends on how your Destroyer flew, but if you're looking for something similar, Discmania just released the DD3 which is supposed to fly like a broken in Destroyer. There's also the McBeth developed Kong from Discraft, but from what people are saying it seems to be slightly shorter than Destroyers. And probably the closest to a Destroyer without actually being labeled "Destroyer" is the Millennium Scorpius.

If it's consistency that's keeping you from going back to the Destroyer, you might check out this really informative video in this thread that explains what to look for when choosing the type of Destroyer you want to throw.

I am a big fan of my slightly gummy champ shryke (so not flippy), caiman and luster aviarX3. Maybe try those out?

Never thrown them (too fast for me) but I've heard axiom mayhem and panic can fly destroyer lines, the mayhem being the slightly less stable one. Heard lots of very positive reviews on the mayhem especially.

Last edited:
As a Destroyer substitute, you might consider the Trespass and the Shryke. You might also try a Destroyer in Pro plastic.

For mids, you've got the Zone and Comet. Maybe a Buzzz or Roc3, something straight-to-stable, that fits between the Zone and Comet would get 'er done for ya. If you're looking for a longer Zone, there's a lot of molds out there. I like the Hornet, but it's officially OOP.

Yeah I was stopping in to say nice setup.. Looks like a good bag to me. I'd second the Mayhem but research it yourself.. I can barely get it moving but I'm 350'. I do like how it works downhill and in headwinds for me and out of that speed that I can't throw it's the easiest to "cheat". The Catalyst is too turny and not in a controlled way.

Second the Envy too...the soft electron beats in to dead straight and really long for a putter quickly. I don't know how you're going to feel about that tensor. The Axis is my bet for filling that slot once it beats in... my beat one is between a Buzz and Comet.. Or a " wind" Comet..if the Zones staying the Vector may have been a good bet for straight in the wind mid.

You've pretty much got the best of MVP already..

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. (SD86) I actually have a Trespass in the bag right now since I got one free from DD (initial purchase for when I was buying for a store). I got to put some oomph behind it the other day and it gave me a nice s curve with a slight hyzer release. I have two beat up pro destroyers that I have in storage that I pull for easy to flip discs. I really love pro destroyers but it takes a handful of hits and they can no longer stay stable. I'm not convinced but so far I've been impressed.

I'm happy to hear the runs of wraiths are good recently, I might pick some of those up. They are one of my favorites for getting distance while still maintaining control.

As for mid ranges. I'm happy with the tensor on initial throws, but the axis and tangent are kinda meh. They kinda do what I want when I can put some arm into them; but what I really enjoy about a beat x buzz or roc they just cannot do (yet). These are nearly new so I probably just need to put some wear into them. I want to be able to work the lines with these two at low power, not just throwing 250+. I could probably run out and grab a Buzzz and Buzzz OS to complement my X Buzzz but part of this thread was trying to get opinions on the new before just jumping back into the discs I know.

Also a recent development. Went out throwing with my dad and he threw my Amp in the water :doh:. So that's no longer there.

Also a recent development. Went out throwing with my dad and he threw my Amp in the water :doh:. So that's no longer there.

😂

Did not see this event being the "recent development." Actually laughed out loud. Thanks for the laugh. Sorry bout your disc.

[You arm power drastically exceeds mine, so I don't have any disc recs.]

Try a scorpius. They fly like a pro destroyer with half a round on it.

I've been throwing Scorps for a year or so now, and every one I've had is more os than a new pro destroyer. The newest Sirius Scorps are just as os as a lot of Destroyers.. suppose they vary in stability from run to run though, just like every disc ever.

-Wizards
-RR Comet
-N Tangent
-N Axis
-N Tensor
-ESP Zone
-J Zone
-N Volt
-S PD (beat)
-C PD
-Heat in premium plastic
-Heat in X plastic
-S Wraith (beat)
-Another Premium Wraith
-L Trespass
-ESP Force (beat)
-Z Force
-Crank or Crank SS

After throwing the Trespass for a few rounds I think it's made the bag for now. I was lucky enough to have that one in the garage. I have an enforcer in the garage too that might end up replacing my Forces because the rim feels better in my hand. I like having a beat in force though, so I'll probably have to lose my beat in one first :p.

What's your guys' thoughts on the bolded discs? I didn't go out of my way to choose Discraft, so no purposeful bias... I haven't purchased the bolded ones yet, but that's what I'm looking at to fill out the bag. Any discs that would do the job better? Are the runs consistent or do I need to look for domey or flat discs? I really prefer gummy plastic to slick plastic so I mostly stick to Star/ESP.

My goal for the Heat is a disc that can shape lines at low power, give me left to right movement on medium to high power, and something that doesn't really have much low speed fade. The Volt can do a lot of line shaping so I don't want something that's real close to what it can do for me.

For the Crank or CrankSS, I just need something I can throw for distance up hills, in tail winds, and for long distance. I have a slightly beat Katana I found that's in the bag right now for these purposes. It's doing the job well enough but I feel like I want just a little bit more turn or slightly less low speed fade. The Trespass and Force are going to be my S Curve to Stable distance duties.

Well I'm not up on my Discraft stuff.. And my armspeed ain't up to yours. The Katana is a crap shoot for how it flies.. But the disc you may be looking for is a Bolt or a MVP Wave.. Bit of turn, powers down well, low fade. I bag a plasma Wave 155 and it will do 240' to 330' (my max) very comfortably, a bit of fairway overlap but all the potential for max distance.

If you've got a Volt you don't need a Crave, unless you go light plasma..

I'm pretty sure that anything but a max weight Z Heat will be only good for rollers for you. I don't have quite your distance but I love my heavy Z Heat. It really does fly like a 9 speed Comet and powers up and down really well. Take a little off of it and it hyzer flips into a crazy straight rope. Put something on it and it hyzer flips into a very predictable, drifting turnover. Holds a good, slow anny. Feels like a cheater disc in the woods.

I would say try a light photon its not a destroyer clone but it does fill a very similar role and that bit of difference might be what you're looking for. Also its not necessarily new but have hou tried a claymore? I find it to be what I was hoping the axis to be.

Latest posts