• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I hate unsanctioned tournament players....

allinpflop

Eagle Member
I recently moved to a new area where unsanctioned tournaments are common (I can't think of any that took place in the Pittsburgh area except ice bowls) and I can't believe the attitude of the players regarding the rules of disc golf. I saw players not putting out taking practice shots every type of illegal stance possible and certainly every courtesy violation in the book. I tried to say something and the response from the other cardmates was this is an unsanctioned tourney that rule doesn't matter. How can people pay to play a tourney knowing the rules won't be followed? Who decides what rules to follow? Am I way off base in my thinking? If I was playing in a different sport I don't think this would happen and it is amazing to me how few people know or follow the rules of disc golf.

What division were you playing? IME this can be an issue in rec and am2 but gets cleaned up in am1 and is an non-issue in open (well except for people carrying a pint and stopping for a puff maybe)

The actual rules are adhered to

Unsanctioned tournaments are usually intended to be more casual and fun in general, and attract more rec/casual type players who don't like all the rigidity of sanctioned tournaments. Especially charity tournaments. Remember why you are there. Lighten up and enjoy the semi casual play, and if you can't, seek out the PDGA events where rules are somewhat enforced.

Unsanctioned tournaments are usually intended to be more casual and fun in general, and attract more rec/casual type players who don't like all the rigidity of sanctioned tournaments. Especially charity tournaments. Remember why you are there. Lighten up and enjoy the semi casual play, and if you can't, seek out the PDGA events where rules are somewhat enforced.

I disagree, if you are playing for money, play by the rules. Around here that is the case with unsanctioned events with the exception of the social rules (drinking, etc).

If you can't beat em, join em.
More of a personal goal shooting well against opponents breaking rules. Smash em out!

What division were you playing? IME this can be an issue in rec and am2 but gets cleaned up in am1 and is an non-issue in open (well except for people carrying a pint and st

Good point...my wife and nephew played so I was playing in a lower division than I normally would and that prob played a part in it.

I don't know...I've seen and played in plenty of unsanctioned events that were every bit as competitive and intense as sanctioned events. It's silly sometimes that the notion of playing by the rules of the game equates to not having fun.

I disagree, if you are playing for money, play by the rules.
What rules? Unsanctioned tournaments aren't required to use PDGA rule so it's up to the TD on what's allowed. If you don't like the TD's rules, then don't play. Isn't that exactly what you'd tell someone who wants to pay a sanctioned tournament but doesn't like following PDGA rules? If you don't like the rules, don't play in the tournament.

What's important is that you understand the rules before you put your money down.

One thing I'd like to point out here is that non-sanctioned players may not know all the official "rules" of sanctioned tournament play. I've been playing for several years and play in the occasional tournament. However, I've never registered for a PDGA number because sanctioned events are extremely rare here. Additionally, if the TD's aren't going to enforce every rule in the book then it's hard to expect the players to follow them.

I disagree, if you are playing for money, play by the rules. Around here that is the case with unsanctioned events with the exception of the social rules (drinking, etc).

I'm not saying that the rules should be abandoned completely. I always strive to play by the rules myself, and encourage others to do the same. But in a unsanctioned charity tournament, I'm not going to be a rule nazi either. Now pro's who are playing for cash are a different matter, and like someone said, as you go up through the rankings, this problem should fix itself.

And even of those social rules, moderate yourself. Last year, I had a couple of card mates at an unsanctioned event get too much barley pop in the bloodstream and started to not follow playing rules. With that sort of disregard for rules, (on top of lack of sleep, and an aching lower back), I had had enough of their antics and just quit with two holes left. So I went back to tourney HQ to help the TD with scores. It wasn't worth it to continue.

What rules? Unsanctioned tournaments aren't required to use PDGA rule so it's up to the TD on what's allowed. If you don't like the TD's rules, then don't play. Isn't that exactly what you'd tell someone who wants to pay a sanctioned tournament but doesn't like following PDGA rules? If you don't like the rules, don't play in the tournament.

What's important is that you understand the rules before you put your money down.

The problem is that if the tournament isn't following PDGA rules (or all PDGA rules), it should be on the TD to make sure everyone is aware of that up front. If the PDGA rules of play aren't be used, and no alternative rules are presented, what's to stop players from shaving strokes, taking gimmes from 30 feet, or moving their lie from the rough into the center of the fairway without penalty.

I think it's perfectly fair for an unsanctioned event to relax some rules if that's the way they want to do things, but make sure everyone's aware of that fact or there are bound to be issues.

I've played in quite a few unsanctioned events around the country, and though the rules are slightly relaxed, I haven't experienced anything like you mention, most players follow the basic rules like stance and lie and basic courtesy.

One thing I'd like to point out here is that non-sanctioned players may not know all the official "rules" of sanctioned tournament play. I've been playing for several years and play in the occasional tournament. However, I've never registered for a PDGA number because sanctioned events are extremely rare here. Additionally, if the TD's aren't going to enforce every rule in the book then it's hard to expect the players to follow them.
What we need are more rules oriented clinics at events for new and lower division players who've gotten too much casual play misinformation passed onto them. Some of the more experienced players out there could probably use this as a refresher course as well.

And even of those social rules, moderate yourself. Last year, I had a couple of card mates at an unsanctioned event get too much barley pop in the bloodstream and started to not follow playing rules...
Having a few beers is one thing but I don't play in the local league due to the cloud of smoke around the sign-up table and on the course. I know it's somewhat "legal" now, but I'd still rather not be associated with it. At least not until it's legal at the federal level.

This is one of many reasons I would like to see more sanctioned events locally.

It's probably a regional thing. I played a couple of unsanctioned events last year and everyone adhered to the rules as if it were a sanctioned event. I think the TD plays a big part in that... if the tournament is well organized with rules clearly addressed, the players will respond to that and act accordingly. If the TD is non-chalant and disorganized in running the event, then expect the players to be lackadaisical in following the rules.

This is the TD's responsibility whether the tourney is PDGA or not. We always do a marking marking your lie, stance, falling put demo for the unexperienced. If the TD does not make it clear "what rules" are being enforced they should not be running the tourney. If I was at a tourney where this happened, I would speak up at the player meeting and ask for the TD's expectations.

Along with those who've already posted, the non-sanctioned events I've played in followed the same rules as sanctioned events.

That said, there are a few people who love to complain about the PDGA, but one of the benefits of sanctioning is players can have a reasonable expectation of how the tournament will be run. When you attend a non-sanctioned event, it's much more uncertain what you'll encounter.

The PDGA rules are simply the rules how to play the game of disc golf, not specifically rules for sanctioned events. Over the past decade, the PDGA has been separating the specific rules needed to just play the game, even by yourself, from the rules for competition which are now in the Competition Manual. So when someone says we're following PDGA rules, it's redundant because they're really just the RULES of disc golf.

This became clear when we got PDGA sanctioned leagues underway. Many still don't realize that PDGA sanctioned leagues only require players to follow the rule book but not necessarily the Competition Manual unless the TD specifies it. For example in some leagues, Ams can receive cash payouts or players can be drinking during league play if it's already legal in the park. You can't do those things in any other PDGA sanctioned events where the Competition Manual must also be followed in addition to the rules.

I'd either
A. not play those unsanctioned tourneys anymore, or
B. push the boundaries of their lawlessness until THEY take it to the TD, then throw down the gauntlet.

Don't just give your money away.

Latest posts