• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a new approach/putter....any suggestions?

Soulfire75

I'm looking for a dependable straight shooting putter/approach disc. I need something that I can use for longer (30ft+) putts. Iv'e looked at the Aviar and the Magnet. Their both nice disc but I'm really undecided. I'm open to advice and suggestions.

Putters are going to be about feel in your hand. Try to get your hands on as many as you and which ever one feels the best go with. Or try an ion

I agree with the ion. However I will say a star dart is very straight flying putt/approach disc. The lat64 spike is also very straight flying and can be thrown pretty far. But putters are a feel disc. Everyone has a different preference.

Ion....I'll check it out, that's a disc I have not looked at. Trying different disc is good advice i'll just have keep trying until something feels right. I started with a Birdie but it's hard to make any shot over 15ft with this disc. Lately iv'e been using a Shark as my approach/putter. It's more accurate for me but if I miss it tends to overshoot further than I would like. Just gotta keep trying....Thanks all

Like others have said, it's all about how they feel in your hand. The Magnet is a great disc. If you like a lower profile, try out an XD.

The Magnet was one of the very first putters I ever purchased, and I never liked it because of the shape of the rim. Once I got into driving with putters, I was going through everything that I had, and the distance I was getting out of that Magnet just kept blowing my mind, so I bought a few more. Now it's my primary putter.

Ion....I'll check it out, that's a disc I have not looked at. Trying different disc is good advice i'll just have keep trying until something feels right. I started with a Birdie but it's hard to make any shot over 15ft with this disc. Lately iv'e been using a Shark as my approach/putter. It's more accurate for me but if I miss it tends to overshoot further than I would like. Just gotta keep trying....Thanks all
The #1 factor in finding a good putter. :thmbup:
Like others have said, it's all about how they feel in your hand. The Magnet is a great disc. If you like a lower profile, try out an XD.

The Magnet was one of the very first putters I ever purchased, and I never liked it because of the shape of the rim. Once I got into driving with putters, I was going through everything that I had, and the distance I was getting out of that Magnet just kept blowing my mind, so I bought a few more. Now it's my primary putter.

I second that.

Try the rhyno, too

The Rhyno is a great approach putter because it doesn't tend to skip away. Also, with almost zero glide, it doesn't go very far past the target if you miss... allowing for the easy come back putt. It's good in the wind too.

I'm looking for a dependable straight shooting putter/approach disc. I need something that I can use for longer (30ft+) putts. Iv'e looked at the Aviar and the Magnet. Their both nice disc but I'm really undecided. I'm open to advice and suggestions.

I carry 2 putters, a Wizard and a Magic.

The Magic is great for putting and shorter, straight approaches, but once you get so far away, the understability of the disc comes into play, and one can easily lose it right instead of straight.

The Wizard on the other hand, is the best full shot Putter and best wind Putter on the market. They are similar in size, made by the same company. Wizards fly basically straight on full power shots.

A person could easily just use a Wizard, but I have much better success with a understable putter, like the Magic, and I do occasionally drop some long putts with it.

My 2 cents.

A lot of blind advice in this thread. You didn't say and nobody has bothered to ask what do you currently use and why do you need to change that up? Nothing wrong with wanting to try new discs just for the sake of that, so if that's the case, then never mind.

So continuing with the blind advice trend, I'll say you need to try an APX. Not too deep, not too shallow, it's the Comets of the putter world. Of all the more traditional type putters (i.e. not short midranges like XD etc.), that I have it's the straightest flying disc at putter speeds. For short shots it holds about any angle you put on it when thrown well.

I started with a Birdie but it's hard to make any shot over 15ft with this disc.

the birdie is fully capable of making much, much longer shots than 15 feet. it is slower and a bit harder to control because it can be touchy, but is a wonderful disc once you get it dialed in. if you are struggling to make shots outside of 15' with it then buying a new putter isn't really going to fix whatever is wrong with what you are doing.

out of the plethora of putters listed, the best ones would be: discraft apx, innova pna aviar, and gateway. these are all relatively neutral and won't fade out on you on longer shots. but i would keep working with the birdie for a while unless you are ready to give up on it.

Which Gateways? I really like the feel of most all their putters but have only ever tried Wizards.

The OP said he wanted a straight-flying putter, so I'm going to say Magic. I own one of those as well, and actually like it, but shied away from the consistency issues because nobody locally sells them, and I didn't want to be buying them blind online.

the birdie is fully capable of making much, much longer shots than 15 feet. it is slower and a bit harder to control because it can be touchy, but is a wonderful disc once you get it dialed in. if you are struggling to make shots outside of 15' with it then buying a new putter isn't really going to fix whatever is wrong with what you are doing.

out of the plethora of putters listed, the best ones would be: discraft apx, innova pna aviar, and gateway. these are all relatively neutral and won't fade out on you on longer shots. but i would keep working with the birdie for a while unless you are ready to give up on it.

This, all of this! GLong speaks the truth on this subject. Nothing wrong wit....You know what, I'm just gunna repeat everything in his post but heed his advise. Keep with the birdie and move on to APX or Aviar.

Ions are nice. Every putt up to 200 feet will go in.

Trollolololol, lolololol.