• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i need a putter to drive with

KCPro aviar is pretty resistant in the wind for ~150ft holes. Any more than that and I break out Shark, Cro, or Rocs (depending on flight path needed).

I love the Pure in grip line to drive and throw upshots with. They have nice glide easy to grip and hold great lines.

CHEERs- Koffee

i rarely putter drive, cause my putters are Rhynos...but Ions are the shizz. my cousin ripped one out about 375 feet his first throw with it. just a real slow hyzer fip

Second the Pure, but I don't think that they have high glide. What they have is mid-range like speed, plus they're flat like a midrange so they feel great in the hand. I could throw mine almost as far as my buzzz, and I feel like they are more overstable than their rating (on DGC at least). I actually had to stop throwing them because I would overshoot on upshots too often.

I think that that is part of the deal when you try to throw a putter far is that it will turn over, badly at times because of release issues. You just cant throw them the same as you would a driver. You need good form, i.e. snap, to get them to go far. As far as discs go, I have had good results with my ol DX aviar and Voodoos.

If you are ever in a tournament with Tyler Horne....watch him throw a Pro-D Challenger...then you will realize that this disc will take more snap than most mortals can give it and still go straight as an arrow. He will be just standing there...reach back...and bam...out to about 350ft. I throw Soft X Challengers on hyer flips to about 300ft but I really have to get some elevation on it...but Tyler can simply unleash with his Pro-D Challengers and make most people shake their heads in wonder.

The classic roc is a great driving putter. especially orange ones. they fly farther.

Work on getting a clean release (less OAT) with the Challenger. They are just fine as driving putters, you really shouldn't need anything more overstable for straight straight putter drives. Possibly try a stiffer one.
I agree with this. As someone else pointed out, the Challenger can take way more than 250' of power before it turns like that. You won't find a putter that's overstable enough to compensate for the OAT that will also have the carry of a Challenger.

Champ Rhyno vs Crystal Challenger

Crystal Challengers are nice, but for the ability to put some heat on your putter and not having to worry about controlling OAT, I would highly recommend the Champion Rhyno.

For more stable rhynos, look for the older pearly or solid looking plastic, where as the less stable version is found in the clear (crystal) looking plastic. There is a difference in stability, but if it's a rhyno, you can put tons of snap and force in the disc with little worries of screwing the shot up.

For those who don't like the limited glide of the rhyno, I just aim slightly higher than I normally would. The true power of rhynos is in the mid range side arm game, and of course, it's soft desirable landing. gl

Putter To Drive With

I know all putters recommended can get it done, but please, try a Gateway Voodoo Super Stoopid Soft 175g. Money from 200 ft in.

Ion, Wizard and Crystal Z or FLX Challenger are all good. If you are use to a Challenger get a new one. I use an Ion and a Wizard. They work well for me up to 200' and I have a average arm at best.

Sounds like you need to learn how to finesse your Challengers. Just get a stiffer Challenger (pro D, Cryztal, FLX) and smooth out your throw a bit.

But IONs, Wizards, and Ridges are also the bomb.

I'm going to assume that somebody has already said this: But it's not the disc, it's you.

You can turn over ANY driver (even a zone or pig) but you can throw a Challenger several hundred feet without turning it over.

In fact I hyzer flip a challenger on occasion (challenger challenge rounds...every person gets a challenger nothing else) One hole is 420' And I generally have a step in putt for 3 on that hole.

Just keep working on it, do some field work where you don't have to worry about obstacles...just try to get it out there smooth and flat.

\/\/

you just have to work at it for a bit. I believe any putter can be turned into a driver but the best are the Ridge, Wizard, Focus, Aviar Big Bead styles. Discs with a touch of bead but not so much its like a VP or Rhino.

XD - name says it all. The old school driver that became a putter. Extra distance! These things work great for shorter drives.

Nothing beats a Rhyno. I can crank the **** out of them, they go straight as an arrow from a hyzer release, plop down and stay where they land.

Latest posts