• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I want to add a midrange to my bag...

Did anyone mention Buzz SS? For holding an anny well even < 200' without badly punishing a somewhat wonky release the Theory is worth a shot.

Yea I said the buzzz ss but it didn't get anyone's attention. I bag an ss and a glo. I use the ss for long controlled anny. The glo is my go to on most shots. The one I've been throwing for the past year and a half continues to fly the same throw after throw. My favorite is the usadgc flag dye glo buzzz. I have a stack of them.

Last edited:
Buzzz SS Z plastic is probably the best general purpose mid out there. You can do anything you want with it. Out of the box it feels like a beat in regular Buzzz. 175g or better is ideal. Dead straight lines out to 280-300 no problem. The only time I switch to a regular buzzz is when there is any kind of head wind, but even then you could hyzer flip at various angles to compensate if you wanted to stick with the ss. I bag all 3, Buzzz, Buzzz SS, Buzzz OS (and a Westside Tursas) for my mid range game.

I do really like how I said I want to add something with my buzzz and this came full circle to "you should get a buzzz". It is both impressive and oddly helpful.

I really like experimenting with different discs but I don't want to buy a bunch I will never use. I do agree with most of these posts which is I am likely saying multiple things. That is probably due to I have just enough knowledge of terminology to confuse everyone but not enough to answer all your questions.

After reading all the posts I am pretty sure I now want a very OS midrange that I can use off the tee or holes under 300'. I will stick to my buzz for approaches and start practicing with my putter for those shorter approach shots eventually stretching to the 250' range. Lots of good advice from all. Thanks!

On a separate note....is a KC Pro Aviar a good approach disc? Should I ditch the GT Banger for a better approach disc?

Don't know if anyone mentioned Trident but DAMN I love that disc. I use it whenever I need to get around a large, tall object. I also parked one 5 feet from a basket on a short hole last week. Hard dogleg to the left, you can't even see the basket from the tee, you have to walk up 10-20 feet to see it peering through the trees. Super overstable, love this disc for headwind and doglegs.

After reading all the posts I am pretty sure I now want a very OS midrange that I can use off the tee or holes under 300'. I will stick to my buzz for approaches and start practicing with my putter for those shorter approach shots eventually stretching to the 250' range. Lots of good advice from all. Thanks!

On a separate note....is a KC Pro Aviar a good approach disc? Should I ditch the GT Banger for a better approach disc?

Sounds like you need to try either a hornet or a buzzz os. You could try something very os like a drone but be aware that you will not be able to throw it nearly as far as your buzzz.

There is nothing wrong with either one of those putters as an approach disc as long as it feels good in your hand.

Buzzz os fights right through the wind and has the same buzzz feel. The flight plate on it is bigger than a buzzz so if you have small hands the wasp or hornet may feel better

Don't give up on Sharks! I have both the Buzzz and Sharks bagged. You might have more luck with a heavier Shark. They're great for hyzer approaches and overhand shots...

Don't give up on Sharks! I have both the Buzzz and Sharks bagged. You might have more luck with a heavier Shark. They're great for hyzer approaches and overhand shots...

Yeah, the Champ Shark 3 is great for accurate hyzer approaches and they are quite stable.

The shark can be fine but if there is any wind or if I even consider using it off the tee it just dives hard to the right. This is all likely do to the weight not the disc.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to try either a hornet or a buzzz os. You could try something very os like a drone but be aware that you will not be able to throw it nearly as far as your buzzz.

There is nothing wrong with either one of those putters as an approach disc as long as it feels good in your hand.

Agree here on the Drone. I do bag one, and love it, but it is rediculously OS and not at all what i expected when i ordered it...thinking much the same as you are now. I actually tossed it a few times and stuck it on the shelf for a few months while I got a bit more distance and control, as well as perspective for where to use it.

It is one of those discs that just goes left (or right...if flicked) and there is nothing you can do to stop it. I don't throw it often, but when I need it, it is the only disc that will do. Headwinds, hyzers, flicks, flex lines, etc.

Look into the Verdict as well (Dynamic Dics). It's their version of the Hornet it seems, but the plastic is really nice. It is OS but still has distance potential...it will be in the same range as your Buzzz when you throw them both hard. I advise something like this (I haven't thrown Buzzz OS but people say they are quite beefy), over an extremely OS mid like a Drone or Gator. These will really fight heavy wind but you will lose tons of distance. They will be in your putter distance range moreso than your mids. It can be a slot in your bag you may want eventually, but from what you've been saying I don't think you want something like that for your more minimalist approach.

Big picture I am looking for a disc I can throw an longer approach (150-250') on a hard anny or hyzer line that will hold the line. My buzzz tends to fly straight and fade for me. I want something that is very different than that.

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'll throw it out there even though some may disagree....

Find a Play It Again Sports near you and look for a "seasoned" DX Roc or buy a new one (they're cheap) and beat it up yourself.....it will hold the line. There's a reason why Rocs are widely considered the best disc ever made.

The Comet, Meteor and Truth are all great discs right out of the box though. Best of luck finding a mold that fits your game, brother! It's all about what works for you.

Last edited:
^On the Roc suggestion probably because he already has the neutral mid Buzzz. Rocs and Buzzzes are very different mids, but what it comes down to is they are both bread and butter straight mids that are workable. The feel/flight/speed is different...they act very differently. But their goal is workable and straight. Some people bag both and I can see why, but I would assume on a shot say 275' without much ceiling restriction, everyone has their gut feeling choice of which one of them they would throw. This to me says which one you will end up using 80% of the time when it could be an "either one works" situation.

Everyone should try both types of mids and see what works for them...I started with Rocs but I prefer Buzzz-type mids now, but I still think both are great discs. Whenever I throw a Roc I always think it flies great. But the point is I currently bag one...I think it's too much overlap for me to have both and that's why I have a different style of mid (OS) to complement that bread and butter mid.

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'll throw it out there even though some may disagree....

Find a Play It Again Sports near you and look for a "seasoned" DX Roc or buy a new one (they're cheap) and beat it up yourself.....it will hold the line. There's a reason why Rocs are widely considered the best disc ever made.

The Comet, Meteor and Truth are all great discs right out of the box though. Best of luck finding a mold that fits your game, brother! It's all about what works for you.

I can tell you there is never a DX Roc laying around at my local Play It Again. In fact they almost never have any used discs. I wish there was but either they get scooped up or people just dont sell them back here. Also, I don't really care for the bead on the ROC. I may try one at some point but not likely in this spot.

I've never seen a used Roc either.

Most used discs I see are drivers, the groove and monarch topping the list of the unwanted and discarded.

I like the F2 glow star gator or beadless star gator for dependable up shots that need to stop on a dime and its windy. The F2 is money and dependable. Ill use a putter if I need a straight line upshot that doesnt have wind. I also use a z buzz for long mid straight shots and have added a elite x mrv for longer straight mid shots. Innova doesnt really have a good mid for my liking besides the gator, I have tried them all.

Latest posts