• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'd like to take a dg trip....

I know probably more about PA than most on this site. I helped build and maintain Nockamixon. U really can't go wrong out west central or eastern pa. Let me know what your kids and wife are interested in. PA has great courses and imho is just as good as NC. Don't forget about NY either.

The avg American's geography knowledge is abysmal! Thankfully I have lived a few places so I am .00001 % better than most. Thank you Public Gov't Run School System. Thanks for the map!! Sad, funny,useful.

Ok, I feel it's time for me to tell my funny British Bloke story. While I was working in a Hotel in Reston, Virginia...near DC, there was a VIP who brought along some of his entourage. One of these guys, a nice English bloke pulls me aside, and asks where he can rent a car so he can go check out this "Las Vegas" place he's heard so much about. He was very disappointed when I told him that it was over 1,500 miles from where we were.

So ignorance of other nations geography goes both ways, doesn't it? ;)

Minneapolis/St Paul area has tons of courses! One of the highest number of courses within such a small area. There must be a disc golf store up there someplace as well. Not sure when you want to do this, but it would have to wait until summer.

Ya, we're thinking late spring or summer of this year. And yes, I'm near Toronto. Just some great ideas here guys. Cincinnati sounds promising too! Gonna do PA i think this year.....

Ok, I feel it's time for me to tell my funny British Bloke story. While I was working in a Hotel in Reston, Virginia...near DC, there was a VIP who brought along some of his entourage. One of these guys, a nice English bloke pulls me aside, and asks where he can rent a car so he can go check out this "Las Vegas" place he's heard so much about. He was very disappointed when I told him that it was over 1,500 miles from where we were.

So ignorance of other nations geography goes both ways, doesn't it? ;)

Ive heard of European kids getting mad at their parents for skipping the grand canyon when they are staying in NY

YaY Pennsylvania! Let me know if you need any info on courses or activities to occupy your family while u play

Plenty to do and see around PA and plenty of places to unwind and chill

I may just PM you closer to travel time opti. Hope that's ok with you. My kids are young so they dont need anything crazy. Change of scenery will keep them busy. Zoo, mall and a museum and we'll be set.

I'd also like to stay somewhere central so we don't have to drive around too much....

Is it possible to stay somewhere close to two or more courses? Maybe give a hotel suggestion?..

That would give us a good starting off point...

MN

If your in Canada you may as well come down to Minnesota. We have some very nice courses, I would suggest coming down in the summer. Some great places are East Bethel (Blue Ribbon Pines), Eden Prarie (Bryant Lake), and there are many more fun courses to play.

I'd also like to go to a dg store if possible. We've seen/heard of the clearwater store and apparently there's tons of courses around there. But it may be too long a drive for our first trip. That's why I was thinking northern states first....

I'd love to hear what you guys think. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot....

Thanks!

Marshall Street. Pyramids is the on-site course and Maple Hill(Vibram Open) is 1/4 mile up the street. Send the family to Boston while you spend the day in a piece of DG heaven.

When are you planning on making this trip? If you are planning on the western part of PA (Deer Lakes, Moraine) Send me a PM and we could meet up and play

If you feel like coming more south for warmer weather, look into the northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area. You've got Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge on the Kentucky side (with the Florence Mall/Y'all in between for the rest of your family) and Mt. Airy on the Cincinnati side. There are plenty of other courses in this area but those are the big three. In the drive down, you've got the courses used in last year's AM Worlds in mid-Ohio, the Brent Hambrick course in Columbus and a few other worthwhile stops just outside the Cincy area (Monroe Community, Turtlecreek and the course on Miami University in Oxford). Good planning could see you hit all or most of these courses. Good luck and safe travels.

I'll third Cincinnati. It's about 10 hours from you so a little further than PA, but definitely a great place for the family and some excellent disc golf. Something to consider for your next trip.

BTW, if you're starting to play competitively you should check out some of the tournaments in St. Thomas. I know that's further for you than the Toronto area tournaments, but the two St. Thomas courses are both great and they have 3 or 4 tournaments a year.

I'll third Cincinnati. It's about 10 hours from you so a little further than PA, but definitely a great place for the family and some excellent disc golf. Something to consider for your next trip.

BTW, if you're starting to play competitively you should check out some of the tournaments in St. Thomas. I know that's further for you than the Toronto area tournaments, but the two St. Thomas courses are both great and they have 3 or 4 tournaments a year.

Yep, Ive played with the st thomas guys a few times and I know they have sweet courses. I plan on going to all the tourneys they have there this year :)

Cranberry Township is a pretty central location to get to deer lakes (35 min)/moraine (30 minutes)/knob hill (5 minutes)/schenley (30 min)/ IUP (50 min) / Thompson Run, OH (1 hour)

there are a few hotels here too, Marriot, Residence Inn, and Holiday inn Express. Cranberry is about 25 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh so the wife and kids can do the tourist.

Marshall Street. Pyramids is the on-site course and Maple Hill(Vibram Open) is 1/4 mile up the street. Send the family to Boston while you spend the day in a piece of DG heaven.

Hit up some discap courses on your way from buffalo to central mass. J Park and Central Park are 15 mins off the highway. Central Park has more local stuff to do for the wife and kids. But J park is a gem of a course 28 holes but way more rural.

I may just PM you closer to travel time opti. Hope that's ok with you. My kids are young so they dont need anything crazy. Change of scenery will keep them busy. Zoo, mall and a museum and we'll be set.

I'd also like to stay somewhere central so we don't have to drive around too much....

Let me know if you'd have any other Pittsburgh questions. There's a mall called Pittsburgh Mills 5 minutes from Deer Lakes and a pretty impressive (for Pittsburgh's size) zoo and aquarium 15 mins from Deer Lakes. Plus, there's a whole bunch of stuff that you could get to in 30-40 mins, including Carnegie Science Center, Museum of Natural History, Art, Warhol Museum, Heinz History Center and Sports Museum, the inclines, and PNC Park. So, stay along Rt. 28 just north of Pittsburgh and you'd be all set. Also, Moraine is about 1 hr from Pittsburgh, and Seven Springs is 1.25 hrs from Pittsburgh.

If your in Canada you may as well come down to Minnesota. We have some very nice courses, I would suggest coming down in the summer. Some great places are East Bethel (Blue Ribbon Pines), Eden Prarie (Bryant Lake), and there are many more fun courses to play.

Those are really good courses, and if your coming from canada, i would hit giants ridge in Biwabik on the way down, saw some pics and it looks like it has some really cool scenic views? has anyone played there?

Latest posts