• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If You Could Only Carry 5 Discs - Which Do you Choose and Why?

ESP Comet
DX Cobra
Champion Viking
Blizzard Wraith
UnLace

Don't need no stinkin' putter if I can only bag 5 disks.

I have three different answers and it all depends on the situation.

I have a nostalgia bag consisting of some older discs, some with aces on them, which all have the same dye. That is the only reason for the discs in this bag. Thankfully, because they are so perfectly seasoned, I know exactly what they can do even if it appears there is a gap in what they can do.

Second Run Ion
ESP Meteor
Star San Marino Roc
PFN Star TeeBird
Star Wraith

My second choice would be close to my first in that they are discs that I have history with but do not represent the core of my current bag set-up. Unlike the first, which are coordinated by dye and history, this is strictly by history.

Eraser Wizard
Star Ontario Roc
Z Hornet
PFN Star TeeBird
Champion 11x TeeBird

Finally, this set-up would be the best representation of what is my current tournament bag-set-up.

Gold Line Pure
BioFuzion Truth
C-Line FD
Champion Thunderbird
BioFuzion Trespass

For a bonus answer, last year I took advantage of Dynamic Disc's huge discount on dyemax and commissioned numerous discs with either a German or Swedish flag theme. This is a nice set-up for smaller or more technical courses but clearly is lacking a fairway or control driver option. I probably should have picked up a Saint Pro because there is some overlap between the Claymore and Truth.

Fuzion Warden
Gold Line Claymore
Tournament Harp
Fuzion Truth
Fuzion Trespass

Hmm...

X-P1X
Polecat
DX Leopard
S-PD
S-DD

I think with five I'd try to get by without a Mid and power down the Leopard or PD.
I want the S-DD for wind, forehand, skips, rollers...all kinds of utility. I think that will be more useful than a Roc in this scenario. I could put the Roc in and take out the Polecat, but I don't wanna.

SPD - Stable/Overstable workhorse driver
QJLS - Long, workable fairway driver
Fresh KC Roc - Cuz Rocs
BEAT KC Roc - Cuz Rocs
Wizard - For Stickin' Putts.

Last edited:
Hmm...

I think with five I'd try to get by without a Mid and power down the Leopard or PD.
I want the S-DD for wind, forehand, skips, rollers...all kinds of utility. I think that will be more useful than a Roc in this scenario. I could put the Roc in and take out the Polecat, but I don't wanna.

Them's fightin' words. And you were so close to the right answer.

I recently did this for a weekend trip to the other coast. I actually picked discs that didn't matter a ton to me, cuz I simply stuffed them in a carry-on bag:
1. D Challenger 173-174
2. Big Z Buzzz 177
3. Cryztal Drone 175
4. Z Comet 175
5. Champ Katana 175 (of the more "domey" variety)

This worked out pretty well. Granted, my distance game was a bit lacking, but it's never really my strength anyways.

mcpro aviar
champ gator
champ roc3
champ krait
star destroyer

That's basically all I have in my bag anyway. I just carry extras in different stabilities.

Hmmm. If it was a tourney, things would get shaken up a bit from my minimalist bag.

I'd go:

Fission Photon - Straight to overstable BH and FH
N Fireball - OS needs
N Wave - US and workhorse driver
N Axis - midrange versatility
N Ion - go-to putter and short approach.

KC Aviar
McPro Roc3
Star Teebird
Star Destroyer

I'm thinking my 5th would probably depend on the course I was playing. If I'm carrying a seasoned version of each of the above I can cover a large percentage of shots. I imagine the last disc would either be a Firebird or FD, depends on if there's wind or a need for a lot of forehands or turnovers/rollers.

I could probably add another Roc or TeeBird and be pretty comfortable.

Proxy- I can pretty much do anything with this disc, enough said
Tangent- I can also pretty much do anything with this disc
Crave- Again, guess what I can do with this disc? Also powers down nicely for an OS midrange spot
Wave- Long US spots, or straight fairway shots
Photon- everything else

This one was pretty easy for me, I just chose to throw 18 discs :p

Short/wooded Course:
Atom for putts
Anode for drives
Resistor for beef
Axis for control
Volt for distance

Long/open Course:
Atom for putts
Anode for drives
2 Volts for control (1 flippy, 1 stable)
Motion for beef

DX Glow Aviar
Champ Glow Roc
Champ Glow Thunderbird
Champ Glow Firebird
Champ Katana (Was a toss up between my boss and katana but figured I could power down the katana for a overstable shot, or power up to get it to turn over).

Latest posts