• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If You Could Only Carry 5 Discs - Which Do you Choose and Why?

If someone said to me, pick 5 discs and go on a road trip and play every course you come across.
I would take my;

G* Rhyno - Upshots and putting
Opto Claymore - neutral point and shoot mid
Champion Eagle"X" - my jack of all trades disc
Icon Bandit - hyzer flips, turn-overs and rollers
Fluid Escape - main driver

Hard to leave out the Comet, Truth, Teebird, my main putter and a distance driver, but hey, sacrifices have to be made!

Not fly 75' past a 225' foot hole.

I've never thrown one myself, but have often thought about trying one out. I ask because a lot of people on here mention it working best at high speed, which would seem to put it close to the same flight path and distance as a beat proline Leopard.

only 5....

For now with all of my noobliness... it would be the following:

Putter:

Vibram - Medium Granite - Ridge 2/3/0/1 - Putt and Approach (just got this last weekend but I am loving it so far).

Mid:

Discraft - Elite X - Buzzz 5/5/0/1 - My first mid and the one I am most comfortable with on anhyzer shots, or tunnel shots.

Control:

Legacy - ICON - Rival 7/5/0/2 - Nice fade for my arm-speed/power and never seems to glide too far ala River (which I am working with to see what I can do with)

Drivers:

Innova - Champion - Mamba 11/6/-5/1 - My hyzer flipper/long anhyzer disc (forehand rollers are being slowly developed).

Innova - Blizzard Champion - Wraith 11/5/-1/3 - I used this for flat release s-flights for distance mine seems to be more US than the numbers indicate.

Hardest Discs to leave out of this selection:

Discraft - CryZtal FLX Sparkle - Predator 9/4/0/4 - I have no good reason to throw this disc as much as I do... its too beefy for me to throw flat so I throw it on severe anhyzers and watch it plummet after about 220'. I am hoping it will season into something like a longer Rival and replace it at some point.

Discraft - Elite Z - Wasp 5/5/0/3 - I love my wasp, I really do... I use it all the time even when I probably shouldn't and I just can't seem to get this disc down in my mind/hands when I try to launch it for a short hole and hope for some fade it goes dead nuts straight, when I try to shoot through a gap with it the fade kicks in earlier than I expect. :doh::doh::doh:

I have been carrying seven discs lately since I don't need water (it's not summer) which is the main reason I use my bag.

Warlock/Pig = understable/overstable upshots and putting duties.

Esp Meteor/Z WASP = understable/overstable midrange shots.

Star Valk (flat Sandstrom)/Champ Teebird = understable/overstable fairway drivers.

Star Boss = Max distance on open holes. (Star Valk (flat Sandstrom), doubles as understable fairway and understable distance driver)

If I had to dump two for this thread, it would depend on the type of course and wind conditions.

Putter - Soft Tank
Mid Range -Gummy QMS
US Driver - Champ SW
Stable Driver (+rollers) - DGA SP Rogue
OS fairway - Ultrium Respecti

I guess it would depend a lot on the course but the following should fit most needs.

Wizard
KC Roc
Z Comet
*TB
Star Sidewinder

seems most of these have been nominated already, mostly just a different mix for my most used/ most flexible choices. liked the thread, gave me something to think about on my round yesterday.

disc (current comfort zone plastic) - uses to state my case - (alternative option)

sidewinder (champ)- longer tee/ understate flex (saint)
teebird (star) - shorter tees / fairway / utility (stalker)
Squall (proline) - flex mid /most forehands / some fairway work (warship)
wasp (elite-x) - longer up-shots and (over-)stable mid (roc3/ shockwave)
shield (medium) - in and around the circle/ straight to anhyzer upshots (yeti)

Putter - doesnt matter, maybe a Wizard (might even go spike if I thought the understable putter/mid was valuable)
Buzzz SS - straight and hyzers
Firebird - Sidearm thumber overstable
Newer Star TL - Probably one of Innova's most versatile Fairways
Star Thunderbird- Cause, dang these discs are nice. (I have some overstable Valk's I would throw in this slot)

G9i Wizard - Putter
Neutron Proxy - Neutral mid/putter shots
Glo Z Zone (beat to death) - almost everything inside 250'
Neutron Servo - BH control
S-Line PD - FH control and beefcake

Tough to say without seeing the course I'd be playing but...

KC Aviar
DX Classic Roc
DX Rancho Roc
Champ Eagle X
*D Destro

From a low-power player perspective:

XT Aviar - A classic that is a tougher in XT, can be thrown on many angles
DX Stingray - I said I was low-power so this can cover most of my US chores
G* Shark - Surprising versatile disc
DX Eagle - For me it is very straight ending a touch to the right, would be distance earner of 300-320 ft.
Star Eagle - Covers much of what I need to fade and is my sidearm disc

175 Opto Pure - I normally carry 2: one for putting, one for drives/approaches. I'll take the driver and put with it.
176 Champ Roc3 - My favorite windy day approach disc, drives well, can power it up to act like a baby Firebird on wide hyzers.
169 Opto Fury - Anhyzer, sneaky straight line distance on hyzer flips, lots of glide.
174 Opto Saint - Very controllable fairway.
161 Fission Photon - For getting way down there.

Axiom proxy-putting
DD truth- up shots stable/thrown on hyzer
MVP axis- straight upshots or anhyzers
Lat64 Saint- it's awesome
Axiom wrath- distance shots

Dang.
Glow DX Aviar. Putting
McPro Roc3. Mid duty. Seasoned. Will hold any line.
AJ Star Teebird. Shorter drives, longer mid range shots.
Star Katana. Long turnover or anyhyzer shots.
Star Boss. Main driver.
I think once on the course I'd realize I'm missing some shots, long a mid that's truly under, but it would force me to rely on my flicks. They're there and ready I just lack confidence with them.

Love these threads! I'd carry what's in my Winter Nutsac minus the Saint...

Saint Pro - Straight with fade, good in wind, BH and FH
Hatchet - Hyzer-flips, turnovers, primary driver
Warship - Straight, straight, and more straight
Suspect - Approaches, good in wind, BH and FH
Warden - Short drives, touch approaches and putting

I've been playing well with only 5 discs in the bag lately:

Judge/Eagle for anything inside 275 ft.
Sidewinders/Orc for anything farther.

Ti BUZZZ, holds any line I give it

River, my go to disc. Never lets me down.

Felon, if it's windy, or it just has to fade.

Glow AvengerSS, I throw this straight all day.

Soft Wizard, putt for dough right?!

Wizard SSS - putting and approach shots
Champ Roc 3 - straight midrange shots
Champ Mamba - drives except into headwinds
Vibram medium Lace - I have 3 of these - I would carry the least beat in of the 3 for general purpose drives that need something more stable than the Mamba
Champ Firebird - drives in headwinds, thumbers, skip shots, anything that needs to go reliably left no matter what on RHBH or left on RHFH

Latest posts