• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If You Could Only Carry 5 Discs - Which Do you Choose and Why?

Champ birdie
ESP Buzzz OS
Night Strike
400G D3
Sirius Barsby Scorp

Last edited:
XT Bullfrog for all putting and short approaches
DX Condor for straight to US mid
ESP Zone for OS mid
DX Teebird for straight drives
C-Line PD for OS drives

This would all change for a windy day, but in normal conditions:

Neutron Catalyst
Proton Inertia
Star Teebird
ESP Buzzz
Opto Pure

Exo Soft Link - Putting putter and would feel good enough in my hand to throw

ESP Comet - Understable mid that just flies well

Z Buzzz - Stable mid that can still get some fade

G* Teebird - a nice straight flying disc

S-Line CD2 - Forehand disc. I would normally go with something like a Felon but if I only get 5 discs, I'd rather disc down a little and have something that isn't always going to fade out quickly

Curious to dig up my old post...I know my last one in the "3 disc" thread is from over five years ago.

Berg
Comet
Teebird
Roadrunner
Firebird

Seasons over and I've gone back to my 150 class bag for winter;

DX Aviar P&A
DX Roc
Star Eagle-X
G* Leopard
Star Valkyrie

My travel bag is pretty close to this already mold wise, juuuust one short. Guess I'd sacrifice max distance for control and drop a destroyer..???

Warlock
Harp
Roc
Teebird
Firebird

1. A slightly overstable driver that's a fairway/control tweener, where I can throw it high/hard for distance but still have some workability for fairway shots: Roaming Thunder CD2 (the original overstable RT)
2. A slightly understable fairway for use in the woods, turnover shots, and tailwinds: Icon Patriot
3. An overstable utility disc: Champ Firebird
4. An all-purpose midrange, straight stable that I can work either way: Flat KC Pro Roc
5. A stable putter that I can throw and putt well: Firm S Wizard

Fluid Judge
Plasma Envy
ESP Comet
Proline Pipeline
Proton Photon

Soft Proxy
Eclipse Vector
Plasma Crave
Neutron Fireball
Neutron Mayhem.

Proxy for short drives, approaches and putts. Great line shaper.

Vector as a workehorse mid. Gives me a more overstable approach option.

Plasma Craves fly a little less HSS than others for me, so they make good neutral line shapers. Can do laser straight, glidey hyzsrs and gentle turning shots.

Fireball as an overstable utility disc.

Mayhem for distance.

Only 5...

Star Wraith for the longer distance drives
First Run Anax for the overstability
Fuzion Burst Emac Truth (hyzerflips for ever)
Pro-D Zone
Classic Blend Judge

1. Woodchuck
2. Sol
3. Zone
4. Deflector
5. Raptor

Honestly, I don't think I'd play much worse with this lineup than all the extra discs I carry around.

I do not know when the last time I posted in this thread was, but my bag has likely drastically changed since then. So, here would be my current, cannot-live-without top 5:

1. Classic Deputy
2. Fuzion Suspect
3. Star Roadrunner
4. Seasoned Champion TeeBird
5. Seasoned Fuzion Defender

However, I have a few others that made a strong case.

a. Gold Line Pure - awesome mix of being a putting putter and for driving. Excels in straight or singular line shots, especially in tight spaces where wind is not as much of a factor. For me, the Deputy is a better putting putter, and the Suspect can handle similar driving putter shots if kept low and snapped hard.

b. seasoned Fuzion Verdict - slightly more stable version of the Suspect but consider more distance. I use the Verdict when I am better served powering it up instead of powering down a fairway driver. Verdicts are not overstable at fairway distance and power.

c. seasoned Champion Thunderbird - my forehand game, while still overall weak, has become far more reliable and viable this year. I have really dialed in the Thunderbird. However, the Thunderbird does not see too many backhand drives, especially when a nice stable TeeBird can do almost the same thing. As for forehands when I can only carry five discs, while the Defender is more finicky than the Thunderbird, I would rather have the Defender because it is also my backhand maximum distance driver.

d. Tournament Worlds - When fresh, they are almost like my seasoned Defenders but with a touch more glide - thus, a few more feet of distance potential. However, that is fresh versus seasoned. A seasoned World is quite flippy and requires a minor hyzer release, something I do not do well. In calm or tailwind situations, it is more forgiving, so, if I am in a position where a minor drift to the right is acceptable my seasoned Dyemax Tournament World is a monster. Its unreliability in the wind compared to a Defender keeps it out of my top 5.

e. Seasoned back-ups to my Roadrunners and TeeBirds - My full bag has seasoned versions of PFN Stars for both Roadrunners and TeeBirds. They are more for touch shots and are very coarse-specific. I am more apt to use them when there is no wind, but if wind is an easy, better to step up to the stable versions I have in my top five.

Latest posts