• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If You Could Only Carry 5 Discs - Which Do you Choose and Why?

1. Wizard
2. Zone (maybe a KCPRO Roc, but those are no good for forehand)
3. Leopard 3 (this was the hardest to decide upon, tempted to choose a Beast instead, maybe a Heat)
4. Wraith
5. Shryke

Champ birdie for putting and approach
ESP Buzzz OS for shapes and distance control
Night Strike II for fairway sniping
400G D3 for max d
Sirius Barsby Scorp for wind and shapes

- P3 (putting, approaches, short drives)
- Zone (approaches, drives, short utility)
- Teebird (straight-to-fade)
- Valkyrie (straight)

Then, depending on the course, either a Felon (OS) or -- more likely -- a second P3, for convenience.

The necessities:
Timberwolf (FP) - My go-to driver, much like Innova's Teebird, stable and consistent
Buzzz (Z-Flx) - Also stable and reliable
Zone (Z-Flx) - Flick approach favorite disc, could also use as a putter

Rounding out the five:
Woodchuck (EP) - putter and BH approach, edged out my sol because I do like putting with it far more than I do the zone and I figured I should have a putter on hand. I like throwing this disc better than I like throwing a challenger.
Mammoth (FP) - A crazy OS disc like a firebird is always useful. The mammoth is quickly becoming one of my favorite discs to play around with.

Wizard
Comet
Buzzz
Thunderbird
Can't decide between Valkyrie and Zone for spot 5. Probably would depend on the course.

My fav five.. I am an extremely forehand dominant Lefty, but my backhand doesn't get enough credit by myself. Lol.

1. 1st Run Anax - Pretty much my go to driver
2. Prodigy 400 F3 - Control drives. My go to for anything under 300' (I'm still newish so distance is a work in progress
3. Lucid Emac Truth - Turnovers if released on a slight Hyzer, flip to flat when released on a medium Hyzer angle, and a steep Hyzer angle it will hold it fairly well.
4. Proto Malta - I can get Mid distance out of it easily, but also gear down to get consistent approaches when needed.
5. Classic Blend Judge - For both drives and putts. The flight is predictable, and they are extremely comfortable in my hands.

With this combination I'm confident I can shoot par or under at the local league course, and all the courses I play to be honest.

Easy peasy. Neutral slot in each speed class. All of these I'm happy to FH or BH on a variety of angles.

Wiz, middle Roc, middle Eagle X, CD2, middle Destroyer.

I actually have a 3 disc version of this philosophy in my car for lunch hour rounds. Wiz, Roc, CD2.

Soft magnet, putter
Harp, upshots
Condor, rollers/OS mid
River, US driver/hyzer flips
Thunderbird, OS driver

Just over a year later and all of my choices have changed. Now I would take:

XT Nova - putting and upshots
Z Zone - OS approach disc
ESP Buzzz - line shaping mid
Proline Pipeline - stable fairway driver
ESP Anax - OS distance driver

Fresh Wizard -- workable thrower and fine putter.
Fresh/Beat KC Rocs -- Rocs, man.
Fresh/Beat Orion LFs -- longer than a typical fairway, super workable.

this is the goofy 5-disc bag I'm using now:

Dragon
Archangel
Rat
Roc3
Nova honestly, I'm playing about as well as I ever do. the Archangel has been awesome

Putting/Approach/Touch Drives - K3 Reko
Mid - Color Glow MD3
Fairway - Swirly Star FD
Utility - K1 Stal
Distance - Star Wraith

Legacy Clutch for putting - like the feel of it...it's been a great putter for me
Innova Wysocki Pig for approach - flat top, great for forehand shots
DGA Rift for midrange - it was a Discraft Buzzz for my mid, but after testing in a field...the Rift has taken its place.
Dynamic Disc Witness for forehand fairway driver shots (this is OOP....so I need to find a replacement)
Legacy Phenom or DGA Pipeline for backhand fairway driver shots (disc choice would depend on which I think will perform better that day/that course). So far these two fairway drivers are just performing the best for me.

I'm really still trying to figure out what works best for me for fairway drivers. The Witness has been awesome for forehand shots...but I lost my best one in a lake, only have one left and they are OOP....I'm trying several other discs to find that right disc to take its place.

Last edited:
Judge - Putting and approach
Zone - Overstable approach
2 Leopards - One beat to power down for mid duties or power up for turnover lines. One stable for everything else
Thunderbird - Overstable/forehand duties

Last edited:
G Star TL3
Star RocX3
KC Pro Roc
Star Mirage
XT Bullfrog

My list has changed. Mostly from practicing my forehand:

Pro Valk
Pro Leopard
XT Roc
R-Pro Rhyno
XT Bullfrog

I literally only use 5 discs anyway. 2 Rocs (one overstable and one understable). 2 SuperSoft Wizards, one beat up and a straight flyer and the other overstable for distance putts. One Discraft Predator (overstable fairway driver). Know your discs and no need for more than 5 or 6 to be competitive. :thmbup:

Electron Pilot for putt and approach shots
Ti Buzzz for everything mid
Buzzz OS for everything else mid
Star and Champ Eagle for everything else else

I've re-fallen in love with the Eagle and throw it for most open shots up to 360-370 and wooded shots over 300. Buzzzes are buzzzes, and the Pilot is crazy workable for me.

Latest posts