• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Im stuck at 320 any pointers?

You've got a lot of energy! From what I've heard/read/dreamed about, you should build momentum slowly & then concentrate all your energy to the moment of snap/release & then follow through with your rotation completely. If you slow/smooth down you'll also be able to get more control of your body lean/reach-back/hip, shoulder rotation, etc as posted earlier here by your keen eyed DGCR peers.

If you wanna catch up to me and start throwing 420+ you should get taller and younger. I'm 6'4" and I'm 16. I've only been playing a year so I'm guessing that's how I get my distance. :-D

Pay attention to your arm speed and the amount of snap yet get on your drives. Try to increase one or the other.

I don't know about that, man. I've seen some short, old dudes throw the hell out of it. I suppose it helps to be tall and young, but these aren't the main reasons you're throwing it over 400' (if you're measuring accurately).

Progress up date

Since posting this thread, i have take your collective advice and Started throwing with a much slower shorter run up at about 45 degrees ish (very ish) to the target, i have tried to reach back and round a little more too. I was surprised to see that the little distance i lot when first trying out the changes, i recovered within about an hour of practice.

Anyway this weekend it bloody worked!! Sometimes..... i threw 350-360 once or twice (literally) on a golf line with my 167 champ teebird, and off a (rather large) hill i threw 410 ish with my sidewinder!! But i was totally stoked with those throws, i can now see that a consistent 350+ is very possible so i was seriously pumped!

Im still battling with my own coordination (and random OAT), but i would have to say that the slower run up has made the biggest difference. I have really been trying to get more body involved in the throw (more of a whip to initiate the arm), doing things a little slower has given me more time and allowed me to focus on my weight movement. Now to get consistent...

so thanks y'all!!

Massive internet hi-5's and a lot of whooping.

FYI all distances are measured via google earth, so there is plenty of error! but its the best i can do!

I have made the mistake of over estimating my distance so I really do not see the big deal in what sidewinding found. I always thought I was in the 350 range but when I went to a football field I saw that really I was in the 300 range. Its easy to make this mistake beacuse alot of courses are mismarked and human judgement is flawed.

Anyway, I also think that if you were to slow down you would help yourself. The acceleration at the very end is what is key. Your run up does not have to be fast. I have found that I throw just as far and with better accuracy when I use a slow controlled run up. Your throw with the Comet was slower and it looked like that that thing sailed.

Well you mentioned throwing 410' downhill. Now there's the real key. Throw down hill... No, down really big hills!!!! And while you're at it, make sure you catch a nice tailwind too. It worked for me this past weekend myself. I'd never thrown over 330'ish before and with a nice breeze on a 20' or so downhill shot I nailed a Champ Sidewinder out around 420'. I was totally blown away. Unfortunately, the hole was only 325'! Oops!!!

I figured it was safe to goof off again since you got some serious help and recommendations. And I'm going to try the bigger turn and angled approach this week myself. So thanks for asking the question. It might just help this 40 something, 5'10"er too.

And if I can make a recommendation at all... it's to keep your release level. I've tried both hyzer and anhyzer releases and at the end of the day, a level release seems to work best FOR ME.

And if I can make a recommendation at all... it's to keep your release level. I've tried both hyzer and anhyzer releases and at the end of the day, a level release seems to work best FOR ME.
My recommendation is to be flexible on that. You'll hit some pretty serious walls if you aren't willing to learn to throw both hyzer and anhyzers well. I'm willing to bet if you do that you'll end up preferring hyzers the more your technique improves. I'd guess now you're getting the best results out of a "flat" release because you're probably actually throwing a bit anhyzer so you're guaranteeing that the discs turn a bit and that's helping with your distance. When you start throwing farther and don't need that extra D and are able to get discs up to their cruise speed you'll find hyzers much easier to control. For example, assuming a golf shot, a beat Eagle-X thrown with a hyzer will go farther and will be more predictable than a new Eagle-X thrown flat or a bit anhyzer.

Also, one thing to be careful about angled approaches is that it's more difficult to clear your hips right and get a good pivot that way.

Also, one thing to be careful about angled approaches is that it's more difficult to clear your hips right and get a good pivot that way.

Im not sure i follow....

As for the hyzer anhyzer flat thing, i think that about 5 degrees hyzer on release works a treat. well with my champ teebird it does!

My recommendation is to be flexible on that. You'll hit some pretty serious walls if you aren't willing to learn to throw both hyzer and anhyzers well. I'm willing to bet if you do that you'll end up preferring hyzers the more your technique improves. I'd guess now you're getting the best results out of a "flat" release because you're probably actually throwing a bit anhyzer so you're guaranteeing that the discs turn a bit and that's helping with your distance. When you start throwing farther and don't need that extra D and are able to get discs up to their cruise speed you'll find hyzers much easier to control. For example, assuming a golf shot, a beat Eagle-X thrown with a hyzer will go farther and will be more predictable than a new Eagle-X thrown flat or a bit anhyzer.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have just this year started to understand the hyzer flip and also started trying an overstable disc. So with my current ability level, my best shots have been pretty flat. But I wouldn't bet against you that I'm throwing a bit anhyzer too. I'm having a little trouble being consistent with my angle of release for either my hyzer or annies. It will come, though. I've made huge strides this year on my drives and understanding how different discs really fly... ie. FL vs. Valkyrie vs. Sidewinder. Have fun everyone.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have just this year started to understand the hyzer flip and also started trying an overstable disc. So with my current ability level, my best shots have been pretty flat. But I wouldn't bet against you that I'm throwing a bit anhyzer too. I'm having a little trouble being consistent with my angle of release for either my hyzer or annies. It will come, though. I've made huge strides this year on my drives and understanding how different discs really fly... ie. FL vs. Valkyrie vs. Sidewinder. Have fun everyone.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that a shorter flex shot with an overstable disc is a consistant shot. In fact, one time I asked what people would throw on this hole (there was only the short tee at the time, a much more straight shot):

http://www.playdg.com/courses/?s=MN&c=rosland&h=9

and a Gateway sponsored pro answered "My bread and butter, a flex shot with a E Blaze," when most people were saying they'd use putters.

I'm not saying that hyzers are the only way to get consistancy, but there are a lot of lines (including straight) that require a hyzer release for any sort of consistancy. Anything that will fly straight with a flat release will have a pretty big fade.

If you choose your discs well, hyzers are a bit more foregiving for golf shots, too. You can be a bit off either way and it won't ruin your shot. Annies are easier to get consistant distance shots with, though.

If you choose your discs well, hyzers are a bit more foregiving for golf shots, too. You can be a bit off either way and it won't ruin your shot. Annies are easier to get consistant distance shots with, though.

I agree whole heartedly, if you can learn to throw an "Annie" with a nice smooth release you will see amazing results.

It appears you have your questions answered and have experienced a considerable amount of improvement.
Congrats and keep bangin' the chains my friend...

I wish I could get to 320, but here's an article that might help.

Distance Secrets by Dave Dunipace. I was the compiler and editor. Please let me know if it helps.

One of the tips that helped me add distance was to grip the disc harder and make it rip out of my hand.

wow!that's a lot to read and made my head hurt!;)
Could I make a suggestion? Illustrations would be very very helpful when describing the grip and rip and the other points of the drive.
I am pretty sure I could get a good drive but I am not really sure what I am doing wrong to prevent it..but whatever it is I'm doing a good job.

i was stuck around 300 until i really focused on a clean release, slowed down my approach some, and practiced to get more twist and stroke on my reachback...now i'm 350-375, and if all is just right i can break 400...i still have a long way to go, but smoothness trumps brute force every time...there are pre-teens that can hit 400, so it really is more about finesse...

UPDATE

Im managing around 350 max with the new innova Boss forhand. If i throw it backhand all i can say is that my next shot will be taken from waaaaaaay over to the left!!

I slowed down and shortened my run up, but i felt a bit like i was plodding in, aloghout i got good controll i wasnt feel it, so now im somewhere in the middle interms of run up. The angled run up is spot on and that has helped me alot. im now getting my teebird to 330 consistently. I use the teebird as my yard stick, i cant throw anything im my bag further on a flat trajectory than my champ teebird.

Hola

I have posted 3 vids on youtube of my drives. I would love it if anyone can give me some critical reviews of my tech. I have never had the luxury of meeting a pro or having any sort of advice, other that what i have seen or read online. As a result i am 100% confident that i can do much better, faster smoother etc. Im asking this as i have hit a flat spot recently, i just cant seem to throw any further on a regular basis.

Any help would really be very appreciated.

Hi Tim,

I'm at the same plateau as you with my backhand drives, and your throws are very similar to ones I recorded of myself not too long ago. The answer to my problem (and your's, I think) is the following:

Your timing is off, and you're strong-arming your throws. Not really bad, but I can see it in the rhythm of your motion. Here is how I can tell:

1) Your pull through begins a tad early, before your plant foot is securely planted and the hip rotation has had a chance to get your torso motion going so as to whip your shoulders around.
2) Because your arm is going forward too early, you're arm is doing too much of the work. As your arm pulls forward faster than your shoulders, it causes the rotation of your torso to slow down, and almost (but not quite) rock back in the opposite direction as the desired twisting motion. This looks unsmooth, and is somewhat easy to detect.

If you have the right timing, setting your plant foot begins the motion of your hips, your hips will lead the torso, which slightly lead the shoulders, and the arm will follow behind in a more passive way such that your will be doing much less pulling. The arm should be used more like a whip (recall that a whip doesn't have muscles, and need not pull forward). Reserve your arm strength for the final pull through and hit, where it really matters a great deal.

And just so you know, from my present experience, this is a one step backwards for two steps forward change to make. I've changed my rhythm and timing, and I'm getting more velocity, but initially I lost a lot of accuracy and control which is taking me a little while to build back up. So in the short run, you'll lose distance and accuracy, but keep up the work and it will pay off in the long run.

jhearn!

Thanks dude! I tried what you said last weekend, and it worked well!

What ive been trying to teach myself is that the foot plant is the trigger. I can feel the moment the foot is planted securley and im trying to make that point the instincive explosion that whips hips sholders and THEN arm.

also i noticed that focusing on keeping hte disc close to the chest in hte pull thorugh generated a lot more spin. and that has helped me too.

ive been trying to put together all the advice fomr everyone here and thingas are getting much better. I will try and post some new vids once im comfortable with the changes. I still slip way too easily back to the form ive had for the last 2years ish!

Latest posts