• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Panama City for a week:Tallahassee vs Pensacola

ovar

Birdie Member
Going to be in Panama City(looks like there is just a 9 hole course there) for a week or so this spring. Wonder which trip would be more worth it for disc golf if I could only make one.

Tallahassee:
Tom Brown Park
Jack McLean Park

Pensocola:
Palmetto DGC @ Blue Angel Park
Sunset DGC?

Thanks for any advise.

I didn't like Sunset at all, but Ferry park was fun in Fort walton beach.

There are 2 courses at Blue Angel, there is also an 18 and 9 at the PJC campus in Milton and a 9 holer at Whiting Field in Milton.

It's a no-brainer...the two courses at Blue Angel Park are fantastic.
Played them last month and couldn't have been more impressed.

I actually liked Sunset ... it gets mixed reviews but I think it's worth a play. the Milton courses are VERY tight and heavily wooded. the Blue Angel courses are nice. I liked the Palmetto the best of the two, the other course is very challanging.

Sunset is a decent play. Really just a "love it or hate it" kind of course.

Blue angel I've heard amazing things about. still need to get over there though....supposed to be 70 degrees tommorow...sounds like a day trip

Ferry Park in FWB is the only one down in the panhandle I've had a chance to play. It is a definite "ace-run" opportunity on that course.

Also; If you happen to MTB, Tom Brown Park has some great single track trails right next to the DG course there.

Last edited:
Tallahassee is fun. Tom Brown is a great course, well maintained, good mix of open and tight stuff. Jack McLean will challenge you...it is an ego bruiser, but a fun course. If you need a guide for either TLH course, let me know (they're my home courses)

Do Blue Angel Park. 45 holes (21 on the Palmetto course and 24 on the Oaks). I had an absolute blast even though I didn't score that well at all.

I thought about playing Sunset next time I'm down there, but I'm DEFINITELY playing at BAP again.

Thank you alll for you suggestions and comments.

Is there any trick to getting in/playing Blue Angel Park Courses? The Course site mentioned something about being with a sponsor.

@Justin Woodall
I will be down in that area the first week of April. I would love to play a round with you. It's always great to go out with a local. Thanks!

Blue Angel is worth the trip (45 holes in one locale). As far as I know you just show up there. there is a gate but you just tell them you are there to play disc. I also thought sunset was ok and ferry Park in Ft walton was ok too. There are also some other courses in the Pensacola area that I havn't played.

Thank you alll for you suggestions and comments.

Is there any trick to getting in/playing Blue Angel Park Courses? The Course site mentioned something about being with a sponsor.
I asked on their forum before I played, and was told to just show up and pay at the gate. I think you used to have to get a sponsor, but not any more.

I wonder if others have played Tallahassee. Jack Mclean is a very difficult wooded course and Tom Brown is half open half easier wooded. Both very fun and challenging courses. Justin will be a good guide and bodyguard for Jack Mclean (bad, not terrible neighbored). Let me know and I can join. BTW, Justin, this is James S.

I think they are all good courses, but if you only have one day, Blue Angel Recreation Area is where it's at. The course at Sunset park and the one at University of West Florida are both going away soon, so it may be your last chance at those. Mobile, Al has some awesome courses and is only an hour away from P'cola, so consider that. Ferry Park (lots of left to right holes) is pretty cool and I've never played any of the courses in Tallahassee so I can't comment on those.

This is off the subject but what are the beach condition like in the Panama City Beach area? Is it safe to be on the sand, in the water after the whole spill catastrophe?

It's hard to find good information about this. Tourist agencies provide one picture and the only other POV I can find is basically conspiracy style rants.

I WOULD NOT GO IN THE WATER. I don't care what the news says, there are still deposits of oil out there....some very large, some small....most are 1/2 way down below the surface WAY out in the gulf, waiting for a big storm to re-ruin the beaches. The beaches are white, pearly sand....feels great under your toes, but stay away from the water IMO. BP still has hundreds of clean-up workers just in our area, they are still here b/c there is still clean-up going on....
....I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything, I drive 45 miles one way, and 45 miles back every day along the coast and see the BP workers as I'm driving, not to mention all the crews in boats working to get the oil out of the water....

Sunset Park is my 'backyard' course, I'm there in 10 minutes ready to throw. Lots of dislike of the course I see, but I don't care, I love it! The front 9 and the back are night and day. h2o on the front makes it tough, but thats why floating plastic is made.
Blue Angel (oaks/palmetto) makes for a great afternoon of disc....45 holes and whatnot...a hanging basket among other things will linger in your memory.
Gator Links and Pirates Cove in milton are fun, especially since some locals got out there and did some serious trimming.
Haven't played UWF yet, gotta get on it before its moved/closed.

playing a glow round @ Sunset Park on 2/18, heres a link: http://www.ecdgc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2037&view=getnewpost

My bitch about sunset was the hole getting on the second island and the hole on that island. Everything else was pretty cool.

Why is sunset getting pulled.
Great use of land. It's not that long of a
course but some of the water holes
certainly have "pucker" factors.

I can't say enough awesome things about Blue
Angels. Simply one of the best complexes
disc golf has to offer. It's an awesome place.

Latest posts